PDA

View Full Version : Magpul CTR Commercial

lanceriley
01-03-10, 03:47
Im looking for a Milspec CTR stock and tube.

My has a Commercial CTR with commercial tube. Any problem with this? my gripe is that it really has a thick rubber pad compared to the milspec.

since he's giving me a good deal for it... should i just take it? it's not weaker or anything right?

no I don't go in harms way. probably a defensive weapon.

what do you think guys?

ChicagoTex
01-03-10, 05:45
I got a commercial CTR for my Carbine under the exact same circumstances - got a deal I couldn't pass on for it.

Besides the thick rubber pad (and the fact that you can't replace it with the shorter or longer pad from magpul without losing the 1st position), there is ZERO difference in quality on the stock itself.

The commercial buffer tube design is slightly less durable due to it's thread design and materials, but unless you're a serious running-around-high-round-count type I HIGHLY doubt you're at risk for buffer tube breakage.

I say go for it.

lanceriley
01-03-10, 09:58
thanks for the added info... seems like... im going the commercial way.. the deal is just too good to pass.

what worries me is the chances that I can strip the threads of the receiver? no?

I have a full auto receiver... although I don't shoot full auto all the time.. it's hard to come by;)

chadbag
01-03-10, 10:06
Im looking for a Milspec CTR stock and tube.

My has a Commercial CTR with commercial tube. Any problem with this? my gripe is that it really has a thick rubber pad compared to the milspec.

Depending on the commercial tube you might be able to replace the buttpad with the milspec one. But probably not. Most commercial tubes are a little longer and the thicker pad goes to hide the bit of tube sticking out the back of your stock when collapsed... However, I believe there are some commercial spec tubes which are shorter -- just depends on what sort you have, which is probably the longer version.

(or lose the ability to fully collapse it as has been mentioned here)

ChicagoTex
01-03-10, 11:22
what worries me is the chances that I can strip the threads of the receiver? no?

I have a full auto receiver... although I don't shoot full auto all the time.. it's hard to come by

If your receiver is made of 7057-T6 aluminum (as all quality upper receivers are), the 6056-T6 receiver extension should be the only part that's damaged if it strips out.

That said, given the value of a Full Auto Registered receiver, I'd be inclined to spend the extra for a mil-spec tube, as well as KNS anti-rotation trigger and hammer pins (if you don't already have them).

lanceriley
01-03-10, 14:48
I got the KNS non rotating pin. already

so I guess.. I gota go hunting for the mil spec.

Bubba FAL
01-03-10, 16:40
I've found the mil-spec CTR locks up tighter on a mil-spec buffer tube than their commercial equivalents. The mil-spec combination is solid, the commercial CTR can show a small amount of wobble on commercial tubes, depending upon the tube - lots of variety in commercial tubes. Either way is much better than the M4 stock.

Last I checked, BCM had mil-spec buffer assemblies for $55.

Col_Crocs
01-03-10, 19:27
Was on the same boat months ago, bro. I jumped on it thinking it was too good to pass off. No problems with mine, what so ever but still definitely planning on replacing it with a milspec kit.
If you can wait, I recommend you do as that good deal becomes nullified once you start planning on replacing it with a milspec kit in the next couple of months. :D

lanceriley
01-03-10, 19:38
this is the thing.. I asked him to buy it. he bought by mistake. he doesn't charge me anything for buying it just the actual cost. so no choice.. I'll have to buy it from him.