PDA

View Full Version : Sabre Defence

C4IGrant
03-21-07, 14:06
I don't think many folks have seen SD upper and lower receiver (or are aware of their high quality) so I took some pics that hopefully show them off.

IMHO, their uppers and lowers and the BLACKEST I have ever seen and will go out on a limb and say that their M4 upper receivers are the straightest I have seen of ANY forged receiver!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Sabre%20Defence/Lower%20side%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Sabre%20Defence/Lower%20side%20view1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Sabre%20Defence/Lower%20closeup.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Sabre%20Defence/Upper%20side%20view.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Sabre%20Defence/Upper%20side%20view1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Sabre%20Defence/Upper%20M4%20cuts.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Sabre%20Defence/Upper%20T%20marks.jpg

MaceWindu
03-21-07, 14:18
...price?

Mace

C4IGrant
03-21-07, 14:24
...price?

Mace

Lowers are $129 and uppers are $135.

C4

C4IGrant
03-21-07, 16:04
Grant

Just checked on the website, Sabre not listed under manfacturer. Do you have available a complete Sabre upper with middy chrome lined 1/7 barrel, cost?

I don't have anything up yet. I have own part number with SD for uppers I had spec'd out. I don't have any in stock though (2-3 weeks).

C4

Tommy Vercetti
03-21-07, 16:51
I continue to be impressed by the accuracy of my Sabre A3 mid-length 1/9 16' gov. profile. I have it mated to an LMT lower, and despite the fact it lacks M4 ramps and extensions, it feeds everything I've put through it from varmint loads to Hornady Tap 75gr.:)

Zak Smith
03-21-07, 17:46
On top of that, Sabre is a supporter of practical/action competition. They were the major match sponsor of CMG's 2006 PRTC, and they're coming back this year for our Camp Guernsey event.

Tommy Vercetti
03-21-07, 18:19
On top of that, Sabre is a supporter of practical/action competition. They were the major match sponsor of CMG's 2006 PRTC, and they're coming back this year for our Camp Guernsey event.

If you wouldn't mind indulging me just a little, is this Camp Guernsey event an annual thing, and what all goes on?:)

Zak Smith
03-21-07, 18:26
Almost monthly, with a bigger event planned for August.

To not dillute this thread, check it out and post questions over here--
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4297
:D

Tommy Vercetti
03-21-07, 18:32
Almost monthly, with a bigger event planned for August.

To not dillute this thread, check it out and post questions over here--
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4297
:D

Thanks Zak.:)

M4arc
03-21-07, 21:15
I continue to be impressed with everything I see from Sabre.

I plan on picking up one of these lowers and one of Grant's spec'd uppers.

mark5pt56
03-21-07, 21:34
I continue to be impressed with everything I see from Sabre.

I plan on picking up one of these lowers and one of Grant's spec'd uppers.

When mine gets here, you'll have to take a look at it.--might let you shoot it:cool:

RyanS
03-21-07, 22:41
I'm totally sold on my SDI middy upper.

UVvis
03-22-07, 01:36
Just some feedback on my SDI lower and upper:

The lower is well machined and finished. The machine is a little better than average. The only minor cosmetic issue was that the forging line was left a little high inside the trigger guard. No biggie as it isn't sharp or anything.

The upper is a middy 1:7 from Talon Arms, supposedly all SDI made, the upper on mine is unmarked except for a splintered A and Tmarks. The M4 cuts in the barrel extension were a little deeper than the cuts in the upper. With a dental pick there is only one small area on the far right where the barrel extensions cut is slightly higher than receiver's. It is a very small area on the far right of the right side ramp. I only point this out as on my BCM middy, the ramps are virtually seemless. There was also a little blemish in the finish above and between the shell deflector and ejection port, not that I care, but I tried to wipe it off at first and thought, "Hmm? oh well"

Finished the gun off with Stag/CMT guts, H2 buffer. Only changes from the SDI guts provided was the replacement of the blue extractor insert with a spring/black insert/Oring from Grant, and I swaped out SDI AR15 bolt carrier for one of Grant's FN contract M16 carriers.

I like that the barrel is heavily stamped with SDI info and lot number under the handguards, and "CMV - 1:7 - 5.56 Nato" stamp in front of the F front sight base.

So far it has shot on par with most rack grade chrome lined barrels, shot a few sub 1" ten shot groups at 50 yards with an aimpoint shooting 55 grain Hornady soft points with cannalure, CCI standard small rifle primers and 24.5 grains of H335 in Winchester brass. This seems to be a generic good shooting handload in all of my AR's. Shot on par with my other guns on everything else.

Reliability has been boringly so. The gun only has about 650 rounds through it in two range sessions, so it is just getting broken in. The only two malfunctions I have ran into so far involved shooter induced malfunctions (duh, if you put the ejection port against something solid, brass stays in the gun...duh).

When I first put the gun together the upper and lower fit together very tight, as in with the take down pins out, it took a bit of effort to get the upper off the lower.

They seem to me to be a good quality rack grade blaster.

If anyone is interested, I can try to take some pictures if I can get some good lighting.

9sigman45
03-22-07, 08:07
Lowers are $129 and uppers are $135.

C4

Grant,
I want the 1st SDI flattop upper receiver with M4 feed ramps that you get in. :D I can pay now?
Thanks

C4IGrant
03-22-07, 08:16
Just some feedback on my SDI lower and upper:

The lower is well machined and finished. The machine is a little better than average. The only minor cosmetic issue was that the forging line was left a little high inside the trigger guard. No biggie as it isn't sharp or anything.

The upper is a middy 1:7 from Talon Arms, supposedly all SDI made, the upper on mine is unmarked except for a splintered A and Tmarks. The M4 cuts in the barrel extension were a little deeper than the cuts in the upper. With a dental pick there is only one small area on the far right where the barrel extensions cut is slightly higher than receiver's. It is a very small area on the far right of the right side ramp. I only point this out as on my BCM middy, the ramps are virtually seemless. There was also a little blemish in the finish above and between the shell deflector and ejection port, not that I care, but I tried to wipe it off at first and thought, "Hmm? oh well"

Finished the gun off with Stag/CMT guts, H2 buffer. Only changes from the SDI guts provided was the replacement of the blue extractor insert with a spring/black insert/Oring from Grant, and I swaped out SDI AR15 bolt carrier for one of Grant's FN contract M16 carriers.

I like that the barrel is heavily stamped with SDI info and lot number under the handguards, and "CMV - 1:7 - 5.56 Nato" stamp in front of the F front sight base.

So far it has shot on par with most rack grade chrome lined barrels, shot a few sub 1" ten shot groups at 50 yards with an aimpoint shooting 55 grain Hornady soft points with cannalure, CCI standard small rifle primers and 24.5 grains of H335 in Winchester brass. This seems to be a generic good shooting handload in all of my AR's. Shot on par with my other guns on everything else.

Reliability has been boringly so. The gun only has about 650 rounds through it in two range sessions, so it is just getting broken in. The only two malfunctions I have ran into so far involved shooter induced malfunctions (duh, if you put the ejection port against something solid, brass stays in the gun...duh).

When I first put the gun together the upper and lower fit together very tight, as in with the take down pins out, it took a bit of effort to get the upper off the lower.

They seem to me to be a good quality rack grade blaster.

If anyone is interested, I can try to take some pictures if I can get some good lighting.

Hmm, does the upper receiver have deep M4 cuts like the one I posted above? Me thinks you didn't get a SD upper receiver, but a CMT.

The reason that SD started marking there upper receivers is because dealers were taking their barrels and putting them on cheaper receivers and passing them off as the real deal.

C4

C4IGrant
03-22-07, 08:17
Grant,
I want the 1st SDI flattop upper receiver with M4 feed ramps that you get in. :D I can pay now?
Thanks

They are in now. Give me a call.

C4

GaryXD
03-22-07, 09:10
I have a Sabre 16" midi 1/7 with M4 ramps. It has been 100% reliable and is as accurate as any I have had.

Tommy Vercetti
03-22-07, 10:39
Hmm, does the upper receiver have deep M4 cuts like the one I posted above? Me thinks you didn't get a SD upper receiver, but a CMT.

The reason that SD started marking there upper receivers is because dealers were taking their barrels and putting them on cheaper receivers and passing them off as the real deal.

C4

I think Grant may be right about your upper being a CMT. My Sabre upper has a keyhole mark behind the deflector the same as the fourth pic down in the OP. Meaning the forging came from Cirro if I'm not mistaken. I don't recall ever having seen a Sabre upper with a different forger's mark at the gun shack I patronize who is a SDI authorized dealer.

Lumpy196
03-22-07, 11:18
IMHO, their uppers and lowers and the BLACKEST I have ever seen

I cant tell from the pics on this LCD screen. Matt or shiney?

C4IGrant
03-22-07, 11:21
I cant tell from the pics on this LCD screen. Matt or shiney?

They are matt, but have oil on them (so they appear shiny). They are bead blasted so finely that they are smooth as a babies bottom!

C4

9sigman45
03-22-07, 11:45
They are in now. Give me a call.

C4

Grant,
Nice doing business with you!

eflatlander
03-22-07, 17:56
Grant: What are the specs. and price of your SDI flat top uppers?

UVvis
03-22-07, 19:23
Here are some pics, The lighting isn't the best but I was trying to show off what I was talking about. The camera has a hard time getting the lighting on the blemish, and I didn't have my tripod.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/UVvisgu/SDITalonM4Ramp.jpg
This is the SDI ramps on the upper.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/UVvisgu/BCMM4Ramp.jpg
versus my BCM middy.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s112/UVvisgu/Blemish.jpg
Here is the blemish and the Anchor Harvey forge mark.

C4IGrant
03-23-07, 11:59
Grant: What are the specs. and price of your SDI flat top uppers?

I basically only have two models currently. Both are 16". One is a Govt profiled barrel with a middy gas system and the other is an M4 profile with a carbine gas system. Both the barrel and bolt and HPT/MP tested. The barrels also feature m4 barrel extensions and M4 upper receivers along with F marked FSB's.

Price for either one is $730.

C4

Lumpy196
03-23-07, 12:09
Here are some pics, The lighting isn't the best but I was trying to show off what I was talking about. The camera has a hard time getting the lighting on the blemish, and I didn't have my tripod.

Not to sound like a dick, but does this cause you the least bit of concern?

UVvis
03-23-07, 12:24
Not to sound like a dick, but does this cause you the least bit of concern?

Nope. Just observations.

UVvis
03-26-07, 15:39
Couple updates:

I talked to a guy at Sabre, they use forgings from everyone, like all the other folk do, they don't deal exclusively with any one forger. He did say that the tolerances for extension to upper was about .0005", plus or minus. They also fire 10 rounds of ball through all their completed uppers as part of their QA procedure.

I put another 600 rounds through mine this weekend. I learned that 425 yard shoots at IPSC poppers with a 2 MOA Aimpoint is rough, but fun.

USMC03
03-28-07, 21:42
I put another 600 rounds through mine this weekend. I learned that 425 yard shoots at IPSC poppers with a 2 MOA Aimpoint is rough, but fun.

Glad to see you made it to the match. Hopefully I'll see you at more in the future.

-Jeff

DocHolliday01
03-29-07, 08:31
picked up my SD lower yesterday from the ffl. i purchased it from Grant and it looks amazing, if it shoots and functions as good as it looks i will be in very good shape. the upper will have to wait till the first of may though :mad:

mtdawg169
03-29-07, 10:27
They are matt, but have oil on them (so they appear shiny). They are bead blasted so finely that they are smooth as a babies bottom!

C4

Grant,

What would a Sabre lower with a CMT LPK, LMT 2 stage trigger & CMT receiver extension run? (no stock)

Thanks

C4IGrant
03-29-07, 10:39
Grant,

What would a Sabre lower with a CMT LPK, LMT 2 stage trigger & CMT receiver extension run? (no stock)

Thanks

$366 (installed). No castle nut, receiver plate, buffer or spring.

C4

Austin_Nichols
03-29-07, 11:46
Anyone have any pictures of the barrel markings Sabre uses including those under the hand guards?

Thanks!

UVvis
03-29-07, 12:20
Anyone have any pictures of the barrel markings Sabre uses including those under the hand guards?

Thanks!

I should be able to grab a couple this evening if needed.

Yojimbo
03-29-07, 13:01

Thanks!

Here are pics of the markings on my mid-length Sabre barrel. Other than the two below I could find no other markings anywhere else on the barrel.

http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P7290027_Large_.JPG

http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P7290030_Large_.JPG

Cyclic240B
03-29-07, 13:17

Thanks!

It is a little hard to see, but here is the markings Sabre uses on their 20" CL Gov' Contour 1/7 barrels. The only other markings not in the picture is the lot/contract number and date of manufacture, which is on top, under the hand guards.

http://theconnzzzz.net/3-21-2007_078.JPG

Austin_Nichols
03-29-07, 14:15
That's interesting. Each barrel shows a different marking technique with Yojimbo's not having any date or lot code.

Thank you Gentlemen!

Cyclic240B
03-29-07, 18:07
That's interesting. Each barrel shows a different marking technique with Yojimbo's not having any date or lot code.

Thank you Gentlemen!

Yes. I also have one of the 1/7 16' Middys' that is die stamped, or roll marked just like Yojimbos. To be sure on the 20" one I posted above, I took my M5 RAS off a bit ago and it says "Sabre Defense" along with the date & lot markings, with all of it being of the "dot" type electro pencil markings you see in the picture.

9sigman45
03-29-07, 18:49
I believe Yojimbo was the first in line to get a 16" Sabre 1/7 middy on an old arfcom deal, I know this cuase I was second :D . I've since bought a second 16" Sabre 1/7 middy from the same vendor and the stamping is different. Apparently Sabre has upgraded their capabilities over the last year or so.

RAM Engineer
03-29-07, 19:54
You guys are evil. I can't wait till my 16" 1/7 Mid-length Sabre gets here. Or my identical BCM I have backordered through Grant...

Ellery Holt
03-30-07, 16:47
Grant,

I'd like to get one of these Sabre upper receivers from you without the M4 cuts. Is that possible?

Thanks.

C4IGrant
03-31-07, 08:58
Grant,

I'd like to get one of these Sabre upper receivers from you without the M4 cuts. Is that possible?

Thanks.

Sure, but don't have any in stock at the moment.

C4

Hang-Fire
04-01-07, 22:07
I recently purchased two brand new stripped lowers from Sabre. They are the best fit and finish of any that I have. I have RRA's and Colts. I do wish that they put the same stampings on their stripped receivers that they put on their complete rifles. The Sabre logo looks neat. Other than that they're great.

HF

sproc
04-13-07, 15:06
Does Sabre park under the FSB? I was all hot on LMT until I learned they don't. If Sabre does, I think I've found my next AR.

That or CMMG. It sounds like folks think the Sabres are of better quality but that CMMG offers nicer options (e.g., 14.7 middy + perm A2). Decisions, decisions...

C4IGrant
04-13-07, 15:17
Does Sabre park under the FSB? I was all hot on LMT until I learned they don't. If Sabre does, I think I've found my next AR.

That or CMMG. It sounds like folks think the Sabres are of better quality but that CMMG offers nicer options (e.g., 14.7 middy + perm A2). Decisions, decisions...

Yes they do.

Getting anything perm. attached is a bad idea IMHO. The simple reason is that we (males) like to change things (rail systems, etc) that really limits what you can do.

C4

sproc
04-13-07, 15:34
Do you sell registered SBRs?

C4IGrant
04-13-07, 15:38
Do you sell registered SBRs?

No as we are not a SOT (yet). I would advise you to never buy a complete weapon this way. Your much better off buying the lower from one place and the lower from another and then just doing the form.

C4

Jay Cunningham
04-13-07, 15:53
No as we are not a SOT (yet). I would advis you to never buy a complete weapon this way. Your much better off buying the lower from one place and the SBR from another and then just doing the form.

C4

Can you expound on that, Grant?

C4IGrant
04-13-07, 16:17
Can you expound on that, Grant?

Sure, first you have to find an SOT dealer tha is stocking NFA AR's (good luck). By buying the upper and lower seperate, you avoid the 11% FET and then you just register the lower as an SBR.

C4

sproc
04-13-07, 18:42
I have three concerns with that approach:

1. I'd have to engrave my own name and address on the receiver as the mfr of the SBR.

2. I've heard that a consumer who assembles a new upper and lower into a complete rifle must pay the excise tax himself when he eventually sells it. Unenforcible or not, I don't like the sound of that.

3. If there's another ban with a grandfather clause, it's more convenient to prove the weapon was complete before the ban if the manufacturer's records indicate it was shipped as such.

I guess I've got some thinkin' to do: perm FH or the complications of buying/making an SBR. Something to sleep on.

Thanks, Grant, for the info and advice.

C4IGrant
04-13-07, 20:11
I have three concerns with that approach:

1. I'd have to engrave my own name and address on the receiver as the mfr of the SBR.

2. I've heard that a consumer who assembles a new upper and lower into a complete rifle must pay the excise tax himself when he eventually sells it. Unenforcible or not, I don't like the sound of that.

3. If there's another ban with a grandfather clause, it's more convenient to prove the weapon was complete before the ban if the manufacturer's records indicate it was shipped as such.

I guess I've got some thinkin' to do: perm FH or the complications of buying/making an SBR. Something to sleep on.

Thanks, Grant, for the info and advice.

Most SOT are not going to engrave the lower for you either. So you will most likely be on our own anways.

No, as long as the weapon is for personal use, there is no need to pay FET.

With an SBR, I would not worry about this. To the best of my knowledge, NO ONE was ever accused of having a pre-ban lower that they made into a complete weapon.

I am willing to bet that less that .01% of SBR owners purchased their SBR from a class III dealer. When I get my SOT this Summer, I will NOT be stocking SBR for resale.

C4

.45fmjoe
04-19-07, 00:18
So Grant, any update on the receivers? I have a CMT that is a little out of spec, it wobbles a bit in every lower I've tried. Nothing more than a cosmetic issue but it still annoys me, I'd like to try one of those SD. Plus I kinda like the laser etching. :D

C4IGrant
04-19-07, 08:41
So Grant, any update on the receivers? I have a CMT that is a little out of spec, it wobbles a bit in every lower I've tried. Nothing more than a cosmetic issue but it still annoys me, I'd like to try one of those SD. Plus I kinda like the laser etching. :D

M4 uppers and their lowers are in stock.

C4

.45fmjoe
04-19-07, 08:51
M4 uppers and their lowers are in stock.

C4

Oh no shit, ordering available on the website?

C4IGrant
04-19-07, 08:55
Oh no shit, ordering available on the website?

Not yet, but you can call us to place your order.

C4

.45fmjoe
04-19-07, 19:55
Not yet, but you can call us to place your order.

C4

Thanks Grant, can't wait for it to arrive.:cool:

.45fmjoe
04-25-07, 09:40
It showed up today, looks great! I love the finish. Can't wait to go home and swap the CMT upper I have on my rifle now. Thanks Grant!:)

kill4thrills
04-27-07, 10:21
This is an interesting thread. I have just got my stamp for an LMT SBR. So, I now have an LMT SBR.

I'd like to build up another AR, but can't decide whether to go with a Sabre or a CMMG or a Noveske. I'd like to keep the upper and lower same company. Any suggestions on which one of these three to go with?...

Of course, I could always just build another LMT...but I thought a little diversity might be nice. What do you think though Grant? I've seriously considered a Sabre...

RyanS
04-27-07, 13:20
Grant,

Do you have or can you get one of the 14.5", gov't contour, 1/9, chrome-lined barrels with rifle extension? I noted from Sabre's online catalog they list the 14.5" barrel sku# 50017. Do they offer gov't countour, 16" barrel with a standard FSB? I'm looking to upgrade my S&W M&P15.

C4IGrant
04-27-07, 13:34
Grant,

Do you have or can you get one of the 14.5", gov't contour, 1/9, chrome-lined barrels with rifle extension? I noted from Sabre's online catalog they list the 14.5" barrel sku# 50017. Do they offer gov't countour, 16" barrel with a standard FSB? I'm looking to upgrade my S&W M&P15.

I can order it for you.

C4

RyanS
04-27-07, 17:22
I can order it for you.

C4

Which one...the 14.5" or the 16"? How much?

C4IGrant
04-28-07, 08:04
Which one...the 14.5" or the 16"? How much?

SD barrels typically run about $370. If you want one with a Perm. attached FS, the price will go up.

C4

RyanS
04-28-07, 10:25
Thanks Grant. i'll IM you with some additional technical questions.