PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and Temperature in Gun Safe

vingrjoe
01-04-10, 09:35
I have a small gun safe, about 8.5 cu ft that I am concerned about controlling the humidity in. This fall, I put in a 12 inch heating rod from the Liberty Safe Co. and a hygrometer in my safe and it measured around 37% RH and now in the dead of winter it is 30% RH. I'm not sure what summer will bring, but I hope it stays below 40-45%.

At times the temp inside the safe will be one to two degrees cooler than the ambient air in the closet. I thought I read somewhere that the temp inside the safe should be higher than the outside ambient air around the safe for air circulation. Is this true ? Should I strive to accomplish this ?

I figured low humidity in the gun safe is the main goal.

Would two 12 inch rods be overkill for a small gun safe like mine ?

ForTehNguyen
01-04-10, 10:20
dehumidifier works by keeping the contents of the safe at a slightly higher temp than the ambient air, so moisture doesnt condense on the safe contents.

that is strange, I have a large safe 35 long gun one, with a 12" electric dehumidifier too and during the winter I can definately tell the safe contents are higher temperature than the non climate controlled room that its in. Not sure why its not working for your much smaller safe. Maybe the safe isn't sealing good enough?

Bimmer
01-04-10, 15:48
IIRC, the idea is that the heating rod will keep the air circulating, and that'll prevent condensation. Temperature itself isn't such an issue.

Yes, two rods would be overkill. Unless you're seeing signs of rust, it sounds like you don't have a problem.

Bimmer

eng208
01-04-10, 19:24
Just put a 25 watt appliance light bulb in it and leave it on all the time. Keeps it warm and dry inside. I have mine in a shop that is not climate controlled and have not had any problems with humidity since installing the light bulb. Plus it helps see inside better. I keep paper targets inside and as long as they stay crispy I know that the humidity level is ok.

rkba01
01-04-10, 19:52
I have one 12" rod on the bottom of my safe (20 cu ft) and the hygrometer (that records the min and max) has never reached above 50% and I live in a hot and humid coastal area @ N29°.

I've had this set-up for the last 5 years, no nasty significant rust has appeared on any of my blued guns.

I'm thinking you should be fine with just one 12" rod in your 8.5 cu ft safe.

ssgjason
01-04-10, 21:57
IIRC, the idea is that the heating rod will keep the air circulating, and that'll prevent condensation. Temperature itself isn't such an issue.

Yes, two rods would be overkill. Unless you're seeing signs of rust, it sounds like you don't have a problem.

Bimmer

Bimmer is absolutly correct about the circulation. And it works well.
I keep my basement at 60% by using an actual dehumidifier. I used to throw several large dessicant packs (like the kind you use in a shipping container) but it seemed to have an adverse affect on wood stocks (the wood seperated from metal, cracking..), I believe I brought the humidity too low.

Bimmer
01-04-10, 22:58
Just put a 25 watt appliance light bulb in it and leave it on all the time. Keeps it warm and dry inside. I have mine in a shop that is not climate controlled and have not had any problems with humidity since installing the light bulb. Plus it helps see inside better. I keep paper targets inside and as long as they stay crispy I know that the humidity level is ok.

I can appreciate this kind of low-tech solution, but a 25-watt bulb draws 3x as much as a 12" Goldenrod (8 watts), and 2x as much as a 18" rod (12 watts). I wonder how long the payoff is on a Goldenrod...

Also, you can get a decent hygrometer for $5 or $10...

Finally, Goldenrod says the 12" rod should be good for up to 100 cubic feet, so your 8.5 cubic foot safe should be fine.

Bimmer

vingrjoe
01-05-10, 11:02
Thank you all for taking the time to reply and giving me some insight on this issue.

I know the air has to be circulating inside the gun safe. Because at floor level the temperature is 67F outside the safe and 72F inside the safe;the thermometer being only inches from the heating rod. Toward the top of the safe the temperature is 69-70F oustide and inside it is 70.8F. These temps do fluctuate some, depending on when the house furnace kicks on and off.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
04-23-11, 20:48
I'm resurrecting this thread as I am searching for a way to keep my humidity level low inside my walk in vault. It is heated and cooled and has a return vent. Some of my well worn guns collect a little rust from time to time. I have a plug in outlet and was thinking about getting one of those canister dehumidifies. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
05-24-11, 19:43
Any suggestions for optimum humidity? I bought a DeLonghi DD45 and have set it to 45% humidity. Is that too low for wood stocks and such?

chadbag
05-24-11, 20:09
I believe I brought the humidity too low.

I don't think so. I think you may have brought it too low, too fast.

Here in Utah we normally have teen to twenties percent humidity. Only higher when it rains. I have no problems with wood stocks cracking, separating, etc. So low humidity ain't the problem by itself.

HES
05-24-11, 21:18
I'm in the process of buying my first real RSC. I currently have the $95 Walmart special cabinet. I am looking at either the Liberty Lincoln or Presidential 35. Yeah I know it isn't a real safe, but my budget is only about $2,000.

Question about humidifiers. I will be installing and bolting the safe into our master bedroom closet. The closet has its own A/C register. It has no power in it. Can I get away with the desiccant that you plug into the wall to recharge or should I put in a rod and run electrical into the master closet?