PDA

View Full Version : Green Beret vs. Spetsnaz Redux (Spike's Deadliest Warrior Show)

30 cal slut
01-04-10, 09:42
I actually saw this episode when it aired.

I know we beat the topic of the predicted outcome deader than a zombie horse ... but there was one part of the show (that for some dumb reason) sticks out in my mind.

It was the the night pistol shoot, where the two guys are moving and engaging targets with night vision and pistols.

The green beret didn't do so well, IIRC, but that's not what I'm interested in.

It struck me as relatively interesting that the Spetsnaz guy was aiming for, and shooting at an area just around the (target's right side) collar bone of each target.

Is there something magical about this target zone? IIRC, somebody mentioned that there was a big blood vessel there, and it looks like an area that's not covered by your average body armor. I'm sure a hit there would likely at the very least take somebody out of the fight (can't shoot with that arm?).

Anyone wanna chime in?

dashotgun
01-04-10, 10:59
my credentials: I am a general surgeon.
2 things come to mind for that location incapacitates the arm by possible fracture of the clavicle and or injury to the brachial plexus, may take out one lung with a pneumo thorax. subclavian artery and vein big mommas and hard to get to you might well bleed out before help comes. I would think center mass hit in the mediastinum( center mass) the blood vessels are bigger and it is a bigger target.

Macx
01-04-10, 11:52
My inclination would be to suspect that target has to do with the different mission Spetz guys have. Sounds like an apples to oranges comparison. Where Green Berets are soldiers working with indigenous people to build up a force to oppose enemies of the U.S. . . they are of course combat capable, but ultimately they are soldiers capable of training others. Spetnaz on the other hand is more like an unholy blend of SWAT and soldier, their country has no Posse Comitatis. Spetnaz guys have police powers in addition to being soldiers. That target choice you mention could be selected with the intent to take away the use of the arm in the ways dashotgun mentioned & yet leave the suspect/enemy alive long enough for a field interrogation. Of course death can occur, but the probability of the suspect/enemy being able to give up some useful info in the meantime goes up vs. a center mass hit. If body armor is the prime concern I'd think aiming for the pelvis slightly left or right of the centerline would be a bit more ideal.

Just taking a run at the topic, I don't have any credentials.

Iraq Ninja
01-04-10, 11:59
I just reviewed the footage and I don't think he was purposely aiming for that location. Of course, we could ask Sonny about it.

I suspect that the hits were a result of him shooting one handed on the move, right handed. The last target had center line hits to the chin and chest. Only the first two were to the target's right. Still, good shooting...

I used to work with a former Spetsnaz/GRU guy and he never said anything in regards to target location. In fact, his technique was boringly ordinary and his skills and mindset were conventional.

30 cal slut
01-04-10, 12:53
I just reviewed the footage and I don't think he was purposely aiming for that location. Of course, we could ask Sonny about it.

I suspect that the hits were a result of him shooting one handed on the move, right handed. The last target had center line hits to the chin and chest. Only the first two were to the target's right. Still, good shooting...

I used to work with a former Spetsnaz/GRU guy and he never said anything in regards to target location. In fact, his technique was boringly ordinary and his skills and mindset were conventional.

Hmmm. My bad for mis-interpreting.

John_Wayne777
01-04-10, 12:57
Anyone wanna chime in?

He was shooting a Makarov in the dark....from exceptionally close range. He was point shooting.

Since he had no feedback from the targets my guess is that he's secretly thanking Yeltsin that he managed to hit anything during that gay little exercise. I'm guessing that the locations of the hits are completely explained by point shooting a weapon with no low light sighting capability in the dark while on the move.

...something the "night sights are worthless!!" crowd should take a really hard look at.

Macx
01-04-10, 14:10
Oh! it was a Makarov?!?! As much as I love them . . .. just getting on paper in the dark with NVG would be. . . impressive. +1 to point shooting.

Iraq Ninja
01-04-10, 15:06
Sonny mentioned on another forum that the pistol was a cheap Mak copy. I think he mentioned that the SF guys brought their own weapons, but the producers supplied the Russian stuff.