PDA

View Full Version : AK Know-it-all's Please help me...

Dave L.
03-21-07, 16:17
I bought this gun at a gun show during the Clinton years and as I was cleaning out my gun safe the other day I came across it. At the time I bought it, I didn't know squat about AK's and I still don't know as much as I would like.
This thing seems pretty high quality and is very reliable. When I bought it they guy told me they mad high-cap mags for it...I spent the entire gun show looking for something that didn't exist.
Can someone please give me some details on this gun? I like it even though it only holds ten rounds in each mag.
I don't know if the receiver can be converted into a normal AK receiver to hold the normal mags or what. I was thinking I could use some of the parts to build a post-ban AK variant...if that's possible.
Any and all info would surely help.
Thanks guys,
Dave
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/ak001.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/ak002.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/ak004.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/ak005.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/ak006.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/laninga66/ak007.jpg

Business_Casual
03-21-07, 16:31
It is easier to send you here: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#wasr10p1

than re-type the info. I hope you paid very little for it.

To take normal-capacity magazines the receiver will have to be modified and US parts (922 compliant) installed.

I wouldn't bother, really.

M_P

fivepointoh
03-21-07, 18:20
Looks like a Century Arms imported romanian build....nothing real special I don't think but check out The AK Forum (akforum.net) and the AK Files forum.

Dave L.
03-21-07, 18:23
It is easier to send you here: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#wasr10p1

than re-type the info. I hope you paid very little for it.

To take normal-capacity magazines the receiver will have to be modified and US parts (922 compliant) installed.

I wouldn't bother, really.

M_P

I paid $198 for it a long long time ago. Do you know how much it would cost to replace all the crap and mill out the receiver? I may just buy another one (hi-cap).

fivepointoh
03-21-07, 18:24
To add to that looks like a regular single stack WASR 10 w/ thumbhole stock.

TOrrock
03-21-07, 18:40
Raining, Pirate's link will give you most of the low down on the rifle.

It's the predecessor of the current Romanian WASR-10's imported by Century Arms. They take the rifles as you have now, and open up the mag well, and replace just enough Romanian parts with US parts to make it legal.

I honestly don't know what would be involved in remachining the mag well, you might have to machine the front trunnion, the steel block which holds the barrel and is riveted into the receiver shell. If you do, that might be kinda complicated, it's hard steel and I don't know the dimensions that you'd need to keep.

It would be easier to just buy a new AK. You can get very decent ones for under $500.00 ready to run.

You might want to post in the Build it Yourself section of www.akforum.net if you want to undertake converting it yourself. I know of guys who have done it on some of the Hungarian single stacks that came in, but again, I don't know how involved a project you're looking at.

Hope that helps.

h8mtv
03-21-07, 20:11
I have seen some guys converting the lo-cap recievers Centerfire is selling now. I would guess that the trunnion is for a standard reciever and the reciever is just cut with a smaller mag well. Heck, I wouldn't mind trying to open it up on a mill if it was mine.

As for building your own Akforum.net is a great resource with lots of friendly folks. I have built about a dozen ak's so far. If you have patience you can build alot of rifle for little money.

h8mtv
03-21-07, 20:12
With a second look at the pics the trunnion does appear to be made for a lo-cap mag after all. :confused:

fivepointoh
03-21-07, 20:52
I'm definitely gonna be watching this thread to see the outcome if the OP decides to do anything to it. It'll be a learning experience for me!

Dave L.
03-21-07, 22:43
It's really easy to say "buy a new one". I've only flipped one gun in my life and then felt bad about it. The fit and finish of the gun is great; the reliability is better. I want to keep the gun so I will seriously look into converting it...why even own a low-cap at this point?

Does anyone know if the importer is offering a conversion package similar to what armalite did with their post ban AR's? If I could get away with putting $200 into the gun right now to make it a high-cap it would be alright with me.

I'll be working on this...

fivepointoh
03-21-07, 22:48
I would go w/ CAI to do the work for you. They haven't had the best QC as of lately.....

W/ that said a lot of AK gunsmith could probably make it work for you.

TOrrock
03-22-07, 07:29
I can't see Century doing it for you, and more over, I sure as hell wouldn't want Century to do it.

Try Will at Red Jacket, here's his website www.redstick-firearms.com

He's a stand up guy and does great work for a reasonable amount of money.

fivepointoh
03-22-07, 07:52
ETA....my last post should say...I WOULDN'T!!! go w/ CAI! sorry

Dave L.
03-22-07, 10:48
ETA....my last post should say...I WOULDN'T!!! go w/ CAI! sorry

Roger, thanks for clarifying.

Dave L.
03-22-07, 10:53
I can't see Century doing it for you, and more over, I sure as hell wouldn't want Century to do it.

Try Will at Red Jacket, here's his website www.redstick-firearms.com

He's a stand up guy and does great work for a reasonable amount of money.

Thank you, that may be the answer.

Dave L.
03-22-07, 10:56
This is probably a dumb question: are pistol grip/stock receivers different than the thumb-hole stock receivers(like mine)? For some reason I was always under the impression they could be switched very easily.
I'm not an AK guru.
I only bought one because I can shoot the piss out of it and never clean it...but then they start to grow on ya.

fivepointoh
03-22-07, 11:07
nope same thing

just buy your pistol grip and your choice of stock and slap them on...I'm not sure whether the thumbhole stock pistol grip screw (if it has one) will work w/ a regular pistol grip

but all you have to do is get the hardware and it'll mount right up IIRC

h8mtv
03-22-07, 18:24
I would keep it as a truck gun or something. For $200 you may be able to convert it. For under $250 in parts you could build a kit on an NDS reciever.

Dave L.
03-22-07, 20:09
I would keep it as a truck gun or something. For $200 you may be able to convert it. For under $250 in parts you could build a kit on an NDS reciever.

My uncle told me it would make a great brush gun- and I should throw it in the brush and leave it there:D

I'm gonna convert it...eventually.

TOrrock
03-22-07, 20:13
My uncle told me it would make a great brush gun- and I should throw it in the brush and leave it there:D

I'm gonna convert it...eventually.

............or an inexpensive loaner white tail rifle.........

Dave L.
03-23-07, 10:24
Will at Red Jacket firearms quotef me $200 for the parts, labor, and shipping.
The only bad thing is the 8 to 10 week turnaround time he has right now.
I am trying to figure out if it's worth it to spend a little more and pick out the parts my self. Anyone have any Ideas? I definitely want a folding stock with a comfortable pistol grip.
I'm not really worried about a bayonet lug and I doubt I'll be able to pony up the extra $250 for the surfire rail system.

h8mtv
03-23-07, 12:03
I'd just spend the money on a G kit, reciever, and compliance parts personally. Later you can build it or have it built.

chinook
04-02-07, 15:26
Just do the conversion yourself. It is VERY easy to do. All you need is 5 compliance parts...or 6 if it has a removable muzzle device. It is easier to do if you have a double stack to go by. You can use any double stack AK receiver as the template.

Just use masking tape on the template rifle's mag well. In other words, tape over it and carefully cut out the tape where the magwell is. Now place it over your current rifles receiver, taking care to center it as much as possible. Now just start removing the metal from both sides of the magwell untill you get real close to the tape. Then I remove the tape and slowly start to smooth out the sides and even them up with a fine file. Then it is just trial and error until a mag goes in and out reliably.

The easiest parts to change ar the trigger group and the stock set...both with US made counterparts.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me here.

Barry