PDA

View Full Version : front sight post

nut4mgpl
01-04-10, 18:32
i am having a heck of a time knocking the pins out of my front sight post. (puttin on a low pro gas block). i painted the m4 about 5 months ago with krylon. ive stripped the paint on the rifle and cleaned it up. i figured the paint had something to do with the pins not comming out, but thats not the case. anybody have a idea?

Failure2Stop
01-04-10, 18:37
Make sure you are removing them in the correct direction, use a good backer, and use enough hammer.

nut4mgpl
01-04-10, 18:53
i have a block of wood that the sight fits perfect in. ejection port side or bolt release side?

tracker722
01-04-10, 19:19
If worse comes to worse, you may wind up having to drill them out. If you do, just be careful if you want to salvage the sight. Some FSB's just don't want to come off.

11Bravo
01-04-10, 19:28
snip... ejection port side or bolt release side?
Depends.
Stag?
Drive from ejection port side towards bolt release side.
Right to left.
Everything else?
The other way around.
Left to right.

Unless I got it backwards. :p

Quib
01-04-10, 21:41
- Try using a nail set to initially knock the pins loose. The nail sets concave face fits the head of the taper pin better than the flat face of a pin punch. This will help keep you from slipping off the taper pin or mushrooming the head. Once the taper pin is knocked loose, follow up with a pin punch.

- Work on a solid surface. Use the garage floor if you have to. A work surface that bounces with each strike of the hammer only absorbs the force of the hammer, rather than concentrate it on the pin where you want it.

Iraqgunz
01-04-10, 21:45
Applying liberal amounts of Kroil or other lubrication to the area does wonder as well.

Robb Jensen
01-04-10, 21:51
What brand of barrel?

S&W not just Stag have pins which are removed ejection port side to bolt catch side.

nut4mgpl
01-04-10, 22:56
its a superior arms s-15

cgcorrea
01-13-10, 20:54
I'm having the exact same problem with my Front sight post. I just bent a 3/32 punch trying to tap the pins out from left to right on my Colt upper. It really aint workin' out for me. I'm trying to install a Larue low profile gas block.

nut4mgpl
01-13-10, 22:54
yeah... i finally gave up on it. i've spent too much money on that rifle to screw something up. got lucky last saturday and went to this gun shop just east of des moines and he's working on it right now(plus i picked up a glock 22 for $365).

Bantee
01-13-10, 23:24
Sometimes a little heat and alot of hammer will go along ways!:D

11Bravo
01-14-10, 00:04
yeah... i finally gave up on it. i've spent too much money on that rifle to screw something up. got lucky last saturday and went to this gun shop just east of des moines and he's working on it right now(plus i picked up a glock 22 for $365).
Well shit...
Didn't know you're from Iowa.
Could have pointed you towards some folks that could help.
We need to see about Iowans getting together sometime and doing some shootin'

nut4mgpl
01-14-10, 00:23
me and co-worker want to start a gun club this spring. not sure how to go about doing that. like a once a month deal. everyone get together for a saturday or something. just looking for some land to do it at

cgcorrea
01-14-10, 09:41

Yeah I'm taking it to a gunsmith today to get it done too. I'm affraid I'm gonna bang those pins too hard and **** something up. I was at it for a while last night.

DSand
01-14-10, 15:04
Put it in the garage or out on the porch for a while to let the cold shrink the metal a bit. Sometimes this helps.

cgcorrea
01-14-10, 17:51
Put it in the garage or out on the porch for a while to let the cold shrink the metal a bit. Sometimes this helps.

Damn man. That makes sense. I shoulda thought of that. I tried lubricating it but that didn't work either. I took it to a gunsmith near where I live who has the proper equipment. I've never done this before but I just decided to let my pride take a hit and take it there. I always do all the work on my AR but this time around I just had to cave cuz I don't wanna hit the thing too hard or the wrong way and **** up the weapon.

Texpatriate
01-15-10, 00:00
I have a BCM that I liked to have beat the crap out of trying to get the pins out so I could install a LaRue 11" rail. Finally took it into my gunsmith and he drove them out for me gratis.:)

DSand
01-15-10, 14:09
Damn man. That makes sense. I shoulda thought of that. I tried lubricating it but that didn't work either. I took it to a gunsmith near where I live who has the proper equipment. I've never done this before but I just decided to let my pride take a hit and take it there. I always do all the work on my AR but this time around I just had to cave cuz I don't wanna hit the thing too hard or the wrong way and **** up the weapon.

That was a tip I got from a guy on another site when I asked for help on removing a stuck flash hider from a bbl. Just paying it forward:D

cgcorrea
01-15-10, 18:48
That was a tip I got from a guy on another site when I asked for help on removing a stuck flash hider from a bbl. Just paying it forward:D

Yeah I would have definately tried that. I bet you it woulda worked too:rolleyes:. I pick up my upper tomorrow from the gunsmith I took it to. He was uber backed up when I showed up at his place yesterday. Said it would take him about a day and a half to get to it. I got my Larue 12 inch rail in the mail today, which was the reason I was taking the front sight gas block off in the first place. I can't wait to put the whole thing together. The end product sexy as hell:cool:.

nut4mgpl
01-19-10, 09:24
can anyone tell me what the rod is between the trigger pins is for? where do you get them?

DSand
01-19-10, 13:25
can anyone tell me what the rod is between the trigger pins is for? where do you get them?

Do you have a picture of what you're referring to? I have a feeling you're talking about the KNS non-rotating trigger and hammer pins but I'm not really sure.

nut4mgpl
01-19-10, 23:27
4044 this is what i was talking about

DSand
01-20-10, 05:05
4044 this is what i was talking about

Yep, those are KNS pins

ForTehNguyen
01-20-10, 12:39
anti walk pins