PDA

View Full Version : pocket carryable 38 spec revolvers

skyugo
01-04-10, 21:30
this idea is starting to appeal to me. it's quick, convenient, and gives a bit of an advantage as you can have you hand on the gun without breaking concealment.

smith airweight seems to be somewhat of the standard. i'd probably be ok with the heavier weight of a steel or stainless gun as well. I already have a couple glocks, so i wouldn't mind getting something a little classier looking as long as function wasn't compromised.

looking to keep it around 500 bucks..

how about ruger's GP100 line? will the 2.25" barrel fit in an average pocket or is that more of a holster gun?

how about ballistically? any significant advantage going from 1.75 to 2.25?

thanks guys.

Jay Cunningham
01-04-10, 21:32
Ruger LCR is also an option.

skyugo
01-04-10, 21:49
Ruger LCR is also an option.

yeah.. i haven't actually seen one of those little guys anywhere. i hear it has a great trigger...
i'm kinda thinking something stainless with wood grips... just cause.... ;)

silentsod
01-04-10, 21:58
If Jensen's doesn't carry it try giving RMSS a call to see if they have an LCR in stock.

I only ever give a passing glance to the revolver selection in stores :o

cathellsk
01-04-10, 22:10
Smith 442/642 no lock (your pick, blue/stainless) and a set of Crimson Trace LG405s. I have both and love them, among the other snubbies I also own.

skyugo
01-04-10, 22:26
i actually just figured out a smart carry+G26 setup that may make my need of a snubby revolver go away (for now anyway)..

smartcarry at 1:45. waaay faster draw than at 12 o clock. one handed draw is quite doable, and it's actually more comfortable sitting down. feels a bit like having a thick wallet in your pocket, just resting on your leg. :cool:

this frees up money for a 44 magnum revolver... :D

skyugo
01-04-10, 22:28
If Jensen's doesn't carry it try giving RMSS a call to see if they have an LCR in stock.

I only ever give a passing glance to the revolver selection in stores :o

i have yet to see one at jensen's...
where's RMSS ? fort collins?

you up for a range visit this week? i ran a couple more rounds of dot torture yesterday. great fun. :cool:

kmrtnsn
01-05-10, 00:19
Smith J Frame or the new Ruger LCR.

silentsod
01-05-10, 02:46
i have yet to see one at jensen's...
where's RMSS ? fort collins?

you up for a range visit this week? i ran a couple more rounds of dot torture yesterday. great fun. :cool:

Sent a PM rather than further derail this thread.

The Handgun Help Reference at the top of the forum has some good threads on pocket pistols and revolvers for a decently in depth discussion.

ST911
01-05-10, 10:47
I like pocket carry.

S&W 442, 642 are all a great choice, get one without a lock. CT lasergrips are a useful addition for many.

The LCR seems to be performing well. It is a hair bigger than the J-frames, though. The impact of that will depend on your build, mode of dress, and the compatability of your pants.

The GP100 is too big for pocket carry. I suppose you could do it if you really wanted to. The SP101 is bigger and heavier than other options as well. The GP100 is a waist-carry gun. The SP101 works well on the waist, ankles, and the like.

On pants: Best pants for pocket carry will tend to have an open, deep pocket, with durable lining. A tailor can help fix those that don't.