PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy next?

PanzerMeyer
01-05-10, 00:01
My build is below.
Right now I have about $150 in gift money to spend. Not much chance of saving more than that, what with my job's hours getting reduced.
I'm thinking of replacing the OD Sully stock (which is pretty heavy, being a solid piece of polymer) with a Vltor modstock or Emod.
I primarily use this rifle as home defense/Range gun, and when the time comes , for a SHTF scenario. Most applications would be in an AO of semi-rural, maybe a little urban/sub-urban terrain. Terrain would vary from lower(up to 4,000ft) mountains to flat open farmland with foothills in between.

My question is this: what to buy w/ that 150 or so dollars?
A collapsible stock, or however much ammo that money will buy(5.56)?
Or, maybe a Primary Arms optic(till the time comes when I can afford the goodstuff?
Opinions are welcome...even if you just wanna rip me for even asking:D!
Thanks for your time!
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/Cioccman/DSC01854.jpg

johnson
01-05-10, 00:05
http://tacticalledflashlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/streamlight-tlr-1-c4-led.jpg

Bantee
01-05-10, 00:07
My vote is for ammo, shoot it as much as you can and see if you need or even want to change anything else out. P.s. nice shooter btw!

tracker722
01-05-10, 00:08

PanzerMeyer
01-05-10, 00:10
Ah yes! I forgot the importance of a good white light! Thanks. I will add to the list of items to consider.

Jay Cunningham
01-05-10, 00:13
Not much chance of saving more than that, what with my job's hours getting reduced.

Really? Because I would recommend ammunition and a shooting school from an experienced instructor. Those are worthy goals worth saving for.

SWATcop556
01-05-10, 00:48
Ammo, Mags, Training and not necessarily in that order.

The TLR-1 is not a bad choice but I prefer the X300. YMMV

Jimbo45
01-05-10, 05:41
Well, I don't see a sling on your rifle. No long gun is complete without one. Kinda like trying to drive a car without a steering wheel, in my opinion. I would start there, and then save for a light, then ammo and training.

rob_s
01-05-10, 07:47
Really? Because I would recommend ammunition and a shooting school from an experienced instructor. Those are worthy goals worth saving for.

Bing!

And nobody can take that away from you once you have it.

Submariner
01-05-10, 09:14
F2S said it best:

If I had a budget of around $200 I would simply buy good iron sights. There are lotsa thoughts on this, but my preference is for the LMT rear due to my familiarity with A2 type sights. MI and Troy both also make good flip-up sights.

ARs even with iron sights are 300 meter weapons. With reasonable training and practice an end-user should be able to hit a man-sized silhouette at 500 yards 50% of the time with iron sights. 80% at 300 on a torso sized target. Now to be clear- irons aren't the most efficient or speedy method of shooting or learning to shoot. However- experience on iron sights will translate to optics, and every optic should have a back up iron sight anyway. Most non-military issues can be addressed with a white light and iron sights, however, good optics will better help you solve the problem.

Don't waste money on crap optics. I recommend buying a set of iron sights (if that is all your funds will allow) and honing your skills on them. Save your spare change and get a decent optic in a few months. Further- I highly recommend getting a decent white light attached to your rifle, preferably within 30 minutes of attaching your irons.
Everyone should seek training- there is no such thing as being "done" with training. At the minimum the new AR owners should receive instruction on the fundamentals of marksmanship and safety.

You already have your iron sights, now read here about white lights. Twelve hours of the day are periods of low- or reduced-light. Take a page from the Dave Ramsey playbook. Get all the "stuff" you have and don't need/use for a garage sale, whether real or cyber. Put the proceeds toward getting out of debt.

Or ammo, training and gear!

My CFO cut off funds for new gear, ammo and training excepted, some time ago. Now it's sell stuff and pay for good deals. Once you determine your gear needs, based on your "mission," spend time on EE here and on TOS. Learn the market. Don't be afraid to buy used quality gear, e.g. Aimpoints (think C3 on an LT, used,) LaRue, Pmags, etc.

There are good deals to be had IF you have cash.

d90king
01-05-10, 09:19
Ammo and training... The Sully looks great by the way.;)

Submariner
01-05-10, 09:23
Ammo and training... The Sully looks great by the way.;)

It's functional, too.:D

tryken
01-05-10, 16:28
I would go with a light first, then a sling, then spend whatever (if any) is left on ammo. The surefire super tac LED is an awesome light.

Daekwan
01-05-10, 22:27
Light/sling/ammo..