PDA

View Full Version : Which Comp/Brake?

Sparky5019
01-05-10, 07:23
Just curious what comps/brakes y'all are using? I have a KX-3 on my 16" carbine (carbine gas system) and it gives great blast and flash control but a little too much back pressure...I'll probably save it for an SBR.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sparky

Steve
01-05-10, 07:32
FSC556 is top on my list

great unit works well not to offensive good job at reducing flash if that is a major concern for you

surefire is another i use good unit blows shit every place while in various postions

I have a triple tap in route.

Robb Jensen
01-05-10, 07:34
10" SBR = AAC Blackout M4-2000 Mod 07 mount
10" SBR = PWS FSC556 Gemtech G5 mount
16" BCM Limited 3gun rifle = KAC Triple Tap comp
16" BCM Tactical 3gun rifle = Benny Hill Rolling Thunder brake / Surefire 556K brake
16" 6.8SPC hunting AR = PWS FSC30
16" .22 TacSol upper = Smith Enterprises Vortex

sewvacman
01-05-10, 08:08
PWS FSC 5.56- Like it but going to try someting a little shorter. Maybe a TTO or VLTOR comp.

bnanaphone
01-05-10, 08:09
My vote is for the FSC556 as well. It does a noticeable job of reducing muzzle climb for followup shots. I have not shot it at night so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the flash suppression.

I will say that 99% of my shooting is done outdoors, so I had a rude awakening when I took the rifle to an indoor range and felt the blowback/diffusion from the brake as it bounced off the divider walls and hit me on every shot.

If you shoot indoors, find out which brake will cause you the least discomfort.

BIGUGLY
01-05-10, 16:02
I would also suggest the FSC556. I use one on my midlength ar 16 inch barrel. I love it.

lanceriley
01-05-10, 17:05
pws dntc. it's like the fsc556 but without the prongs.

sewvacman
01-05-10, 17:24
I will say that 99% of my shooting is done outdoors, so I had a rude awakening when I took the rifle to an indoor range and felt the blowback/diffusion from the brake as it bounced off the divider walls and hit me on every shot.

Never shot mine indoors and never thought about it either. Good point though.

I can tell you that having nothing at all is obnoxiously loud no matter where you are.

Sparky5019
01-05-10, 18:37
Ordered a PWS FSC556/QDSS today! The QDSS mount was a shorter but as effective version of the FSC556. I REALLY wanted the TTO but I REALLY did not want the flash that was going to come with it! We'll see!

Thanks for all your help!

Sparky

Cold
01-05-10, 19:19
SF MB556K for me

SJC TITAN for competition

Here is a "barrels eye view" of the SJC TITAN COMP in action, its flat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpZAbpgdYQ

Callahan
01-05-10, 20:33
FSC556 is top on my list

great unit works well not to offensive good job at reducing flash if that is a major concern for you

surefire is another i use good unit blows shit every place while in various postions

I have a triple tap in route.

Thought you didn't like the KAC ;)

lanceriley
01-06-10, 03:16
sjc titan is a great comp... but the shock wave!

Cold
01-06-10, 22:14
sjc titan is a great comp... but the shock wave!

Agreed, the TITAN was designed by GM Erik Lund strictly for competition. . Its no fun to be around (left or right).

If your looking for a general purpose brake, I think the SF or PWS brakes are a great option.

lanceriley
01-06-10, 22:35
Agreed, the TITAN was designed by GM Erik Lund strictly for competition. . Its no fun to be around (left or right).

If your looking for a general purpose brake, I think the SF or PWS brakes are a great option.

my friend attached it an 11.5in barrel. The shockwave alone destroyed the shooting ports! and nobody wanted to be with him hahahaha.

Is the Sure Fire brake as effective as the PWS DNTC?

Mega
01-08-10, 22:02
Related question...

Which would be the best QD model to use with a can?
I'd like to buy a can and use it on several rifles, and don't want to risk damaging the threads on my barrels.