PDA

View Full Version : Liars

CDDM416
01-05-10, 10:44
I hate them..
I had a set of 10-8 sights put on by my gunsmith.
When i got to his shop he was waiting for the locksmith
to open his shop, I sat there for a few minutes then I had
to leave so I just left the slide with him, he told me he would
get to it as soom as he got in.
Four hours later he calls and tells me the sights are on.
So i go to pick it up, he tells me he had a tough time with the
front because they made the screw too short, but he was able to get it on..
I was checking out my fancy new sights and i notice that I couldnt
see the front. So I made a post on here making sure how it was sposed to look, and it wasnt working,
So I sent a E-mail to the guys at 10-8 and they told me to send the sight back
and they would replace it, per the warranty. I got the sight off the gun and where
the screw should have been was a empty hole.
I thought that was strange, and it says right on the card that is with the sights,
not to over tighten.
So I call the smith, and of course he did it right, All the son of a bitched did was
glued the post on and didnt tell me shit.........

So of course I had to clear things up with 10-8, letting them know it was not there product, and that I will pay for a new one.

And yes I let the asshole know how I felt..

tommy5.56
01-05-10, 10:49
Sorry to hear your story. I would of make the MFer put everything back the way it was including paying for the new replacement. :mad:

CDDM416
01-05-10, 12:39
Thanks, but he will never touch another gun of mine. :mad:

apb2772
01-05-10, 14:48
As a smith myself I have made my fair share of mistakes. It is always embarrassing. I have been told by others that I beat myself up a-lot more than I should regarding my "Woops" moments. People seem to think that because you are a gunsmith you posses some kind of magical knowledge and skills. We do not - Unfortunately :( (It would come in handy believe me!)

In my opinion what separates a good smith from a "Bad" or mediocre one is their ability to judge the situation/task at hand, them knowing their limitations. When a good smith makes a mistake they will either fix/correct the shortcoming properly without divulging the mishap, or like in your case the smith should have come clean from the start and informed you outright.

There are some things that I either do not do well (Checkering- Yuck!) or don't have the equipment to do, or just don't do or don't WANT to do. For those things I either do not take on the work, or I take them in and send them out to those I know personally in my field whom I trust implicitly to do them correctly. After all when you are offering a service it pays to have a network of professionals to work with.

Your smith should have called you and informed you as to what happened. If it was me, I wouldn't have even attempted to glass the front sight on there at all. The front sight gets beat (or has the potential to) around way to much for this kind of fix to be anyway near acceptable.

Also, when looking for a smith always ask about their education, background, and where they went to school. If they do not have any "Real" accredited educational experience (internet courses do NOT COUNT) RUN AWAY. Just because they have a "Glock" armorers course (or similar banner) up on the wall does NOT make them Kosher. Even a sizable portion of family/generational Smiths send their kids to schools to learn the trade.

There are a-lot of gunshop owners that don't know jack about what they sell - most of us have encouneterd this, equally there are a-lot of so called self titled gunsmiths out there that are the same way.

Good luck and I hope you find decent Gunsmith to replace him with. You did good calling up 10-8 and making things right..

--->APB

CDDM416
01-05-10, 17:32
apb- I hear what your saying, and Ive learned my lesson as far as making sure they are qualified to do the work.
Ive thought about it all day, Im not sure what I would have done if he would have just called, but Im sure it would have turned out better then it did.

Heavy Metal
01-05-10, 22:10
Doesn't even qualify as a "Bubba" fix.

Someone is in the wrong line of work.

Isn't the first rule of medicine "First, do no harm."?

Sounds like a good one for Gunsmithing too.

MarshallDodge
01-05-10, 22:47
Sorry to hear of your woes. It is reasons like this and my past experiences that I try to research the way it should be done and do it myself.

I guess that is why the reputable 'smiths get paid the big bucks :(

Blob
01-06-10, 00:35
I guess I should be happy that my smith only put a small nick in my slide.

rob_s
01-06-10, 05:23
I have never seen a "gunsmith" turn down work. Regardless of whether or not they have the first idea about what the customer wants or what they need to do to achieve it, or if they've ever even seen the product and/or the gun they're being asked to work on, they always take on the job and they never tell the customer up front that they don't know what they are doing.

on the job training, I guess. at the expense of the customer, of course.

I get emails all the time from people asking me for a "good gunsmith". My advice is always to buy the parts/tools/training you need to do it yourself. If you buy the RIGHT tool and actually read the instructions you're already miles ahead of any so-called "gunsmith".

orionz06
01-06-10, 06:05
I have never seen a "gunsmith" turn down work. Regardless of whether or not they have the first idea about what the customer wants or what they need to do to achieve it, or if they've ever even seen the product and/or the gun they're being asked to work on, they always take on the job and they never tell the customer up front that they don't know what they are doing.

on the job training, I guess. at the expense of the customer, of course.

I get emails all the time from people asking me for a "good gunsmith". My advice is always to buy the parts/tools/training you need to do it yourself. If you buy the RIGHT tool and actually read the instructions you're already miles ahead of any so-called "gunsmith".

Often times the proper tools can be had for less than the price to pay someone else to do it, and the tools never go away.

CDDM416
01-06-10, 07:44
It just keeps getting better, a replacement Tritium front sight is $74. That is on top of the $132 to start with.
I agree Rob,
I would have been better off to do it myself, I will be getting the sight tool from Brownells for $20.

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 07:48
Like the old saying " If you want it done right the first time, Do it yourself" :D