PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Shirt

RPD03
01-05-10, 18:01
How about some opinions on this.

15 students (all arabic male) at Edsel Ford HS in Dearborn, MI had this hoodie made up. I find it very offensive as it appears to depict a plane about to strike the twin towers.
The students claim that it was to show solidarity. The schools mascot is an eagle.

Full Story: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22129881/detail.html#

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/RPD03/JackassShirt.jpg

EzGoingKev
01-05-10, 18:12
What does "LOUI" MEAN?

RPD03
01-05-10, 18:16
No Idea. I've asked a couple of the guys from their local PD and they aren't sure either.
I'll continue to see if I can get an answer to this question.

CharlieKilo
01-05-10, 18:26
Freedom of Speech anyone?

John_Wayne777
01-05-10, 18:28
Speaking personally, I don't see 9/11 in that. If they intend to make fun of 9/11 then they are being real pansies about it.

citizensoldier16
01-05-10, 19:35
While I can see elements of a reference to 9/11 in the graphic, and I'm disturbed by it, I have to agree with the poster above who mentioned Freedom of Speech.

Fortunately in this country, we are blessed with the freedom to say what we wish, no matter how wrong or offensive it is to others.

As my father used to say, "my right to swing my fists ends at your nose."

perna
01-05-10, 20:28
Loui is probably the kids name.

parishioner
01-05-10, 20:37
It is clearly a 9/11 depiction.

The eagle could be flying in any other direction but the 15 arab kids decided to have it fly directly into the number 11 that coincidentally happen to have windows on them.

Don't think too much into this. Your brain is telling you something is off about this for a reason.

Mjolnir
01-05-10, 21:17
I don't see anything here. Seems like they might have some American pride, no? If they were White guys or Black guys it probably wouldn't be an issue, me thinks. I just don't get the "LOUI". It could be phonetic for something Arabic. But I guess my real point is that it IS possible for people of background other than yourself to be moved by 9/11 and even be considered a "hardcore American". Maybe they are. I dunno.

orionz06
01-05-10, 21:36
Let them wear what they want. I hate to say this, but I am sure one of them will encounter a situation where they will learn that self censorship might be wise.

RPD03
01-05-10, 22:15
The students involved have apologized and have stated that the design was made in frustration to the media coverage to the Dec 25th incident at Detroit Metro Airport.

I absolutely agree that everyone has the right to freedom of speech and greatly appreciate the feedback.

Dr.Doom
01-05-10, 22:21
I think its pretty clear they are trying to stir some feathers. They all but spelled it out in that layout. "Cant bring us down." Come on, we arent stupid! And eagle my ass, there are no rectalinear lines on an eagle. Pretty disrespectful if you ask me. No different than that punk band celebrating that murdered cop. Freedom of speach I understand, but you are in our country and I beleive this to be border line treason.

perna
01-05-10, 22:26
And eagle my ass, there are no rectalinear lines on an eagle.

That is the school mascot, if you watch the video it is on their school banner.

Dr.Doom
01-05-10, 22:44
That is the school mascot, if you watch the video it is on their school banner.

OP asked for our opinions, I stand by mine. These kids know what they are doing. We dont give the young enough credit. I mean, how many 11's have windows? I just gave my opinion, I hate arguing on forums.

A62Rambler
01-05-10, 23:17
Border line treason? Wow, I wonder what you'd call me for saying that the military shouldn't shoot down any planes flying towards the capital building? Loosing a bunch of politicians would be a good start in my opinion.

I remember supporting a guy against other vets when he called me a baby killer. I support his right to be an a..hole in public. It's all part of that whole support and defen the Constitution not just the parts you like.

You can't bring us down and showing the twin towers sounds like a pro-american stance. If that is the case I think we should be encouraging that. If it's not the case... I still support their right to be a public a..hole. :D

Irish
01-05-10, 23:28
Dearbornistan... it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

freakshow10mm
01-06-10, 00:28
Either way they all ought to be killed. World would be a more peaceful place.

Blob
01-06-10, 00:31
If it really depicts the twin towers, then yes it would piss me off. BUT... it is their right to wear what they want. Let them wear the shirts so the rest of the world can see just how big of an asshole they are.

militarymoron
01-06-10, 00:44
Either way they all ought to be killed. World would be a more peaceful place.

what ya got against rocket scientists?

Volucris
01-06-10, 01:31
I really don't see how it's trying to degrade 9/11. Although the image itself is just poorly designed so who knows what was running through their minds when they made it.

It's like the jackasses who make jokes about 9/11 (4chan). Just let 'em say what they want to. Lets the rest of us learn who to ignore.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-06-10, 01:51
Are they the class of 2011?

How about a nice STI handgun?

Romanov
01-06-10, 02:00
I've read that it's possible that the "LOUI" is an acronym for "Look Out U Infidels," and that the phrase "you can't bring us down," is meant to imply that Islam cannot be defeated.

bulbvivid
01-06-10, 07:22
Fox News picked up on it: Foxnews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,582116,00.html?test=latestnews).

DEARBORN, Michigan — At least nine Detroit area high school juniors are in trouble for wearing sweat shirts bearing a design that evokes the terrorist attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center's Twin Towers.

Dearborn Public Schools spokesman David Mustonen has told The Detroit News and Detroit Free Press that the shirts the boys wore to Edsel Ford High School on Monday are "offensive" and in "poor taste."

The boys are Arab-American, as are about half the school's 1,700 students.

They belong to the 2011 class. On the shirts, the number 11 resembles two buildings, with the school's "Thunderbird" mascot flying toward them. Printed beneath the image are the words, "You can't bring us down."

The boys are to meet with school officials but suspensions are not planned.

Seems like others are catching the 9/11 reference and not liking it.

orionz06
01-06-10, 07:25
it wont be long before they are victims though...

LRRP-87
01-06-10, 08:29
What a bunch of pieces of SHIT! This isn't the United States I grew up in. This country gives to many rights and privileges to shitbags. Some laws need amended, and the door needed to be shut looong ago on letting whomever wants to come into our nation walk right in.
I'm really not that all suprised by it though; I'm sure they will just get a slap on the wrist.

Seems like they need a good ol' American ass whoopin'; oh yeah, someone might get sued for something like that. Back in my days of high school if it came to the point of a fight, that was how the outcome was decided. If you got your ass kicked, it was just that and you sucked it up(yep, I remember a good beating I took), we also got our asses paddled on a regular basis, and I feel I'm better today because of it. I'm truely glad I don't have to raise kids in this day and age; what a mess.eel I'm better today because of it.
I'm truely glad I don't have to raise kids in this day and age; what a mess. I have much respect for those of you that are raising kids in this era and doing it right. Hats off to you guys.

dbrowne1
01-06-10, 08:39
Legally speaking I doubt they did anything wrong - see Cohen v. California.

Of course, it would be nice if a few of their classmates happened to find them somewhere off school grounds, and these turds happened to walk really fast, face first, into a wall, with authorities mystified as to how it happened ...;)

Alex V
01-06-10, 09:39
Freedom of Speech anyone?

While I can see elements of a reference to 9/11 in the graphic, and I'm disturbed by it, I have to agree with the poster above who mentioned Freedom of Speech.

Fortunately in this country, we are blessed with the freedom to say what we wish, no matter how wrong or offensive it is to others.

As my father used to say, "my right to swing my fists ends at your nose."

I agree with freedom of speatch, but the problem is that on School grounds for some reason that freedom is not inforced. I always thought it was my right to call a teacher I don't like an asshole or the like, but eveytime I did, I got sent to the office. Sure I have a right to free speach/expression, but if the speach is going to conflict with the ability of teachers and admins to keep peace in the school, or prevent the proper environment for learning the act does not fall under the protection of free speach.

Lets use my example of calling a teacher an "asshole" I am sure I can persue legal action and try to get the courts to allow me to call the teacher that, calling him an a-hole does not fall under hate speach, nore does it call for him to come to any harm. However, allowing me to do so would set a president that allows students to curse and disrepect teachers and each other. If everyone is busy calling each other this and that, no one learns anything.

Believe me, I am all for free speach, and as much as I would like to keep one of these kids after school, I would have to protect their right to be jerk-offs, but unfortunatly, allowing them to wear this shirt would cause a president for other clothing to be worn that could "offend" For instance, a white student could wear a shirt that shows black slaves picking cotton in the fields. A jewish student can get a shirt showing an Israili tank driving over a Palastinian with a rock in his hand, a black student can wear a shirt that sais "kill whitie" hmmm [in todays America they would probobly allow the last one] You see what I am saying tho? Freedome of speach only goes so far, but when it prevents the teacher from teaching, it is no longer free speach.

One silly example. When I was in HS, a friend of mine came into school with a T-Shirt for a band he liked. It showed a bat [the animal] that kinda looked like a womens' bra and nipples. He got sent home. I saw nothing offencive, but someone must have. We are wound up a little too tight now a days, but because of that we have to cater to the least common denominator.

Outside of school, wear what you like. But in school, I would have to say that the same rules do not apply.

Look at truency, you can argue that being forced to go to school unless u are an amancipated minor at the age of 16 could be seen as illegal imprisonment. But its not, its school. LOL You're rights on school grounds are not the same.

What a bunch of pieces of SHIT! This isn't the United States I grew up in. This country gives to many rights and privileges to shitbags. Some laws need amended, and the door needed to be shut looong ago on letting whomever wants to come into our nation walk right in.
I'm really not that all suprised by it though; I'm sure they will just get a slap on the wrist.

Seems like they need a good ol' American ass whoopin'; oh yeah, someone might get sued for something like that. Back in my days of high school if it came to the point of a fight, that was how the outcome was decided. If you got your ass kicked, it was just that and you sucked it up(yep, I remember a good beating I took), we also got our asses paddled on a regular basis, and I feel I'm better today because of it. I'm truely glad I don't have to raise kids in this day and age; what a mess.eel I'm better today because of it.
I'm truely glad I don't have to raise kids in this day and age; what a mess. I have much respect for those of you that are raising kids in this era and doing it right. Hats off to you guys.

Well thats how it starts, first you let them in, then you let them do what they like, then they tell you what to do and we're ****ed. Look as places like Malmo Sweeden... there are places that cops and EMT's are afraid to go for fear of being stoned to death or killed in other ways by Muslims who emigrated there. We have to see the forest through the trees.

bkb0000
01-06-10, 09:56
people need to re-learn how to take care of shit in-house. the enemy does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you.

this didn't happen when i was in school. we had an important social event known as the "fist fight," which generally precluded bullshit like this.

montanadave
01-06-10, 10:13
Plenty of school districts have dealt with similar situations by banning students from wearing ANY clothing that depicts commercial logos (e.g. alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, etc.), slogans, catch phrases, you name it. Kids are always one step ahead of the adults in the current slang/street vernacular and it's too easy for them to slip something offensive, disrespectful, bigoted or worse past school authorities that probably have bigger problems to deal with than a bunch of wise-asses trying to stir up some shit.

If kids want to show "school spirit," let the school sell apparel that is sanctioned by the school--no "do it yourself" bullshit.

And if somebody should take offense to these particular kids and their choice of self expression by beating the shit out of them, well, I guess you buy your ticket and you take your chances.

RyanS
01-06-10, 10:14
people need to re-learn how to take care of shit in-house. the enemy does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you.

this didn't happen when i was in school. we had an important social event known as the "fist fight," which generally precluded bullshit like this.

There it is....and on a few occassions, the teachers waited a bit to step in.

orionz06
01-06-10, 10:20

Thats what I was getting at. They have every right to wear what they wish. While others don't have the right to, they do possess the ability to physically influence their choice of attire.

CarlosDJackal
01-06-10, 10:48
What a bunch of pieces of SHIT! This isn't the United States I grew up in. This country gives to many rights and privileges to shitbags...

You're a couple of hundred years too late. The KKK and their kind did not come over on a boat. Like it or not, Freedom of Speech goes both ways.

Personally, I'd rather see these wusses wear it on their clothing than they try and replicate it. IMHO, these guys are a lot less dangerous than the kids from Columbine (at least for now).

Basically , all these kids did was to bring unwanted attention to themselves. If the local LE Agencies and DHS had any kind of intelligence they would note and catalog these kids. JM2CW.

MSP "Sarge"
01-06-10, 23:13
Like bkb said they need to have their asses handed to them!There's my freedom of speech!

JSantoro
01-07-10, 11:01

Concur. There's nothing wrong here that can't be fixed with a couple of brief "hands-on" discussions. Learning might even occur after the very first unscheduled ambulance trip.