PDA

View Full Version : RANT: Buying a gun as permanent resident

Skang
01-05-10, 20:01
Okay, first English is my second language. So please understand.

Today was my day off, so i drove 50-mins to the gun shop that who can order me a HK P30L. Other shops that close to my house were not able to get it.

10:30am I get my License and CCW permit, and drove to the gun shop.

i walked in and talked to the guy who i was talking to on the phone before.

So, we started to fill out paper work. Then on the bottom it need Alien number. I forgot to bring it!!!!

Drove back to home and got my alien card. They asked me i need Alien firearm license card. I told him "NO" law has been changed since last June or July. So he checks out and told me no problem. (i asked him was i the 1st guy buying a gun who is non-citizen? he said "yeah" lol)

btw i even had CCW permit. wtf otherwise they would not issue it to me.

Okay,so far so good. Second page, he asked me i need proof of 90days that i was here. (paper said, bank statement, house bill. ...... works)

Okay.......So i drove to bank near by asked them to print me a statement. Cool!! drove back.

Owner called the FBI asked them is my bank statement okay? they said "NO" wtf?
So i asked them if my car registration okay? Sure! (damn it!!! its not under my name)

Okay then i dont know what to bring for proof that i was here more than 90days. (DL not work, Alien card no work(wtf why?) it had to be non-picture nor state issue) ORLY?

He called FBI like 4 times. Every time he calls FBI they give him different answers. YA`RLY.

So they decide to okay on credit card statement. (wtf all same whats wrong with my bank statement)

Today i spend 6hours in the gun shop trying to figure it out how i can buy a gun.: Seller was very nice and helpful. ( tomorrow after work i going there again with the credit card statement.

Mjolnir
01-05-10, 21:07
You need to seek BATFE counsel.

However, I worked with a friend's gun store and there were several such as yourself who I observed and participated in a sale.

Proof of Address would be rent payments, mortgage payments, utility bills. They MIGHT accept phone records (land line). I don't recall.

Bank statements would probably work but you have too much private info with that so I wouldn't advise that route.

Hope this helps.

YVK
01-05-10, 22:59
I had bought several firearms when I was permanent resident. Copies of electric or gas bills for previous 3 months and copy of "green card" was all that I've ever needed. I have never had any problems.

Skang
01-05-10, 23:39
Bank statements would probably work but you have too much private info with that so I wouldn't advise that route.

Hope this helps.

That's what i worried too.

However, i dig the paper mountain and found house gas bill :D:D:D

Do i send original or copy? well, gun shop did not ask me of green card copy also thought they wrote number down on the paper and saw my card.

Artos
01-06-10, 08:05
Skang,

I would call your local atf directly and seek guidance....Try to set up a personal visit. There is a form buyers can fill out if they are tired of all the nics delays and this may be a good 'long term' option for you for future purchases.

joffe
01-06-10, 09:13
I don't know what state you live in, but if you're in the right state you could go to a gun show or make a private purchase.

Von Rheydt
01-06-10, 14:28
I recall a chat with the, now retired, owner of the gun store and range where I shoot over there. He was a retired LEO and had set up the range, so I assumed he knew the law.

I said to him "So Bill, what paperwork do I need to show you to buy a gun from you"?

He said, New York accent, "Hey I ****ing know ya, thats good enough".

Lets say I was surprised.

CarlosDJackal
01-06-10, 14:47
That's what i worried too.

However, i dig the paper mountain and found house gas bill :D:D:D

Do i send original or copy? well, gun shop did not ask me of green card copy also thought they wrote number down on the paper and saw my card.

It is against the law to copy such documents as your Alien Registration card (ie: Green Card) or your Certificate of naturalization except when being used for employment purposes (verification purposes).

A state issues CCW or CHP does not mean anything to the Feds which is why they don't consider that as proof of residency.

Unfortunately, you have no choice but to go through the proper steps to legally obtain a firearm because of your status as a Resident Alien. It's just the way the system works and IMHO, it would have been a good idea to get this type of information before driving the 50-miles to that Gun Shop.

When I was in the same status as you are now, I made sure that I knew what I needed to purchase a firearm before I did so. I did the same thing when I moved to my current state (Virginia) even though I had been a Naturalized Citizen by then. I guess I would put this in the "Lesson Learned" column.

snafu
01-06-10, 14:54
Since when does it go through the FBI?
Thought it is____state CBI? [criminal background investigator]

HD1911
01-06-10, 15:59
Since when does it go through the FBI?
Thought it is____state CBI? [criminal background investigator]

I'm pretty sure it has been at the Federal level of investigation for a long time.

chadbag
01-06-10, 16:52
I'm pretty sure it has been at the Federal level of investigation for a long time.

Actually it is state dependent. Some states do it all, some just do long guns and let the feds do NICs checks on handguns, and some do it all through the Feds. In Utah, I believe it is all state (though I could be wrong). That is what it looks like when I have had things done in the last few years.

HD1911
01-06-10, 16:56
Actually it is state dependent. Some states do it all, some just do long guns and let the feds do NICs checks on handguns, and some do it all through the Feds. In Utah, I believe it is all state (though I could be wrong). That is what it looks like when I have had things done in the last few years.

I see. I know that now, in Kentucky, if you have a CCW License, that is your ticket to buy a handgun/long gun.

I just thought that whenever any handgun is sold from a FFL, the ATF or FBI had to be contacted and a background check be done :confused:

chadbag
01-06-10, 17:09
I see. I know that now, in Kentucky, if you have a CCW License, that is your ticket to buy a handgun/long gun.

I just thought that whenever any handgun is sold from a FFL, the ATF or FBI had to be contacted and a background check be done :confused:

Same in Utah wrt CCW.

When a handgun is sold, a background check has to be done. (Same for a long gun now). This is part of Brady or son-of-Brady (some replacement for Brady). However, I believe that it can be done by a state entity or a federal entity -- which is why your CCW license makes it easier -- your state is probably doing the approvals and not the feds.

Someone with an FFL can chime in here but this is how I understand it to be. That each state gets to choose if they want to do it themselves or pass it on to the fed NICS system (I would not be surprised if the state people doing this also run it against NICS but that is just a guess).

As I said, I think states can pass it all on to NICS, or do long guns themselves and pass just handguns on to NICS, or do it all themselves.