PDA

View Full Version : Gun safe, what do you use?

cannarella
01-06-10, 06:35
More concerned with theft protection then fire protection. Looking for recommendations to get something this week if possible. Is it one of those things you get what you pay for?

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 07:23
I use the Liberty Fatboy 64 gun fire safe. I'm running out of room :D

http://www.gunsafes.com/Liberty-Fatboy-Gun-Safe-64-Gun-Fire-Safe.html

cannarella
01-06-10, 07:41
I wish...

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 07:46
What's your budget? I can browse around and find something for you.

Captains1911
01-06-10, 08:10
Liberty Franklin, 35 cubic feet. If you want quality, you're going to have to drop some coin, but in my case I could justify it by accounting for how much the contents are worth, YMMV.
http://www.libertysafe.com/productsmain.php

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/temp/safe.jpg

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 08:12
Good to see another Liberty user :D

cannarella
01-06-10, 08:24
What's your budget? I can browse around and find something for you.

I don't know what the range is but seeing the massive ones up at $2000 I would say the boss would probably go to say $500 with some prodding. I have 2 rifles and 2 pistols currently to put in the safe plus probably some documents. I am sure they really run the gamut of prices though.

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 08:44
I'll keep a look out and let you know. You can also check out your local Sam's, BJ's and Costco. A buddy of mine got a Winchester 12-24 gun safe from Sam's for about $450 OTD a couple week ago.

They usually run around $600. If you see a display on the floor, you can ask them if you can take that one (after inspection) with a little discount of it being used ;).

Agfadoc
01-06-10, 08:53
The boss really sets the pace for me as well.

There are too many out there to select just one, but it is my contention that you have to decide on how much you want to spend, how you want it locked, combination, keyed, etc, size if storing ammo with the guns, and then how long you want to delay the thief (strength of unit and weight) can they tie a chain to it with a come-along and rip it off of the wall, can it be carried, etc.

My friend used a corner of his basement and cinder blocked off a small area, bought a steel reinforced door and has more of a small walk in. The costs were reasonable and at first he had just a regular steel door with multiple deadbolts, but later upgraded to a latched door like on the high end safes more like a ship or submarine type latch.

I know it seems overkill but he owns the house and will never leave.

Agfadoc
01-06-10, 08:54
BTW.. Dicks sporting goods is having a sale on their safes until 1/9 in my area, in store only.

cannarella
01-06-10, 10:06
The boss really sets the pace for me as well.

There are too many out there to select just one, but it is my contention that you have to decide on how much you want to spend, how you want it locked, combination, keyed, etc, size if storing ammo with the guns, and then how long you want to delay the thief (strength of unit and weight) can they tie a chain to it with a come-along and rip it off of the wall, can it be carried, etc.

My friend used a corner of his basement and cinder blocked off a small area, bought a steel reinforced door and has more of a small walk in. The costs were reasonable and at first he had just a regular steel door with multiple deadbolts, but later upgraded to a latched door like on the high end safes more like a ship or submarine type latch.

I know it seems overkill but he owns the house and will never leave.

I will probably look at one that is more for security. I have plenty of scrap 3/4" hardwood plywood lying around where I can build a lockable "shell" for it with a couple layers of 5/8 sheetrock for inside for fire protection for about $75. That is usually what these safe companies use for fire protection. I can also put it in a corner of the basement lagged/ glues to all the studs where you will have to tear the house down to get it out. Just a thought.

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 10:11
I will probably look at one that is more for security. I have plenty of scrap 3/4" hardwood plywood lying around where I can build a lockable "shell" for it with a couple layers of 5/8 sheetrock for inside for fire protection for about $75. That is usually what these safe companies use for fire protection. I can also put it in a corner of the basement lagged/ glues to all the studs where you will have to tear the house down to get it out. Just a thought.

That would be a fun project. While you are at it might as well build you a little man cave hehe. :D

Alex V
01-06-10, 10:28
BTW.. Dicks sporting goods is having a sale on their safes until 1/9 in my area, in store only.

Thanks for the heads up, I have one right by me...

I should get a safe, the closet is not a very theaft proof location...

PRGGodfather
01-06-10, 10:29
Fort Knox 6637

Agfadoc
01-06-10, 10:38
I have seen a lot of different methods of home security, and I personally think layered whenever I can.

99% of thieves are lazy, and the longer I can delay them, the more chance I have to stop them, they want in and out as fast as possible, so you can either stop them completely with a $2,000 and beyond safe, or slow them down as much as possible and make them earn it if they can get it. Breaking apart walls is loud and takes time.

JMHO.

Agfadoc
01-06-10, 10:42
Long runs of Rebar positioned horizontally between 16 inch spaced studs is another idea, under the stairwell going down to the basement, drilled every 6 to 10 inches in the walls. Cheap and pretty secure, a lot more work, but there's nothing like a "Man Cave".

woodandsteel
01-06-10, 11:01
I have the Liberty Colonial. http://www.libertysafe.com/safe_colonial.php#na

Mine was a floor model, we got it way below what MSRP was. Paid a little over $800 for it. Was just over $900 after paying to have it delivered and placed in my basement. (Those delivery guys earned their pay and tip that day)

I've had it for about three years now. The dial and locking mechanism still operates smoothly.

For a fire proof safe from Liberty, you can expect to start at around $1200 and move up rapidly in the cost from there.

I have seen some off brand safes at Menards and the local Sam's club for a lot less. They look like they arre formidable enough against tampering. But, they are not fire proof.

What ever you decide, make sure you bolt the safe to the floor. I have seen burglaries where the safe was wheeled or carried out of the house. Nothing like packing up your belongings to make it easier on the bad guys.

CryingWolf
01-06-10, 11:05
I got a Sentry safe at Big R for under 300. You can also look at Craig's List and local adds.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

They have a section toward the end of the article that talks about cheap safes. They where impressed with Sentry Safe product line.

cannarella
01-06-10, 11:07
I have seen a lot of different methods of home security, and I personally think layered whenever I can.

99% of thieves are lazy, and the longer I can delay them, the more chance I have to stop them, they want in and out as fast as possible, so you can either stop them completely with a $2,000 and beyond safe, or slow them down as much as possible and make them earn it if they can get it. Breaking apart walls is loud and takes time.

JMHO.

Thats what the detective told me at chruch when I was probing him for information. He said on average they are in and out as fast as possible and take only what they can carry. If I build a box around it for fire protection it will also have a lock on it so a theif will have to break into the house, break into the outer shell, and then break into the safe... All the time with the dogs making all sorts of racket if they don't scare them off.

woodandsteel
01-06-10, 11:07

Forget what I said about paying $1200....http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3385837

I may have to go to Dick's tonight and look at getting a second safe.

Thanks for the heads up.

cannarella
01-06-10, 11:14
I got a Sentry safe at Big R for under 300. You can also look at Craig's List and local adds.

They have a section toward the end of the article that talks about cheap safes. They where impressed with Sentry Safe product line.

Good link on what to look for in a safe.

Not to sound stupid, like I have done before, but what is the Big R store?

clickclack
01-06-10, 11:22
I found mine at a local store for really really cheap. it does the job and i seriously doubt anyone can get this out my house.. it took me and another big guy a while just to get it in up the stairs.. and we were both struggling hard!...

i think i paid like 300 bucks... its a remington...

i would def drive around to your local sporting stores and look for deals.. and bring a buddy or two

lol

Shamdawg
01-06-10, 11:59
I don't know what the range is but seeing the massive ones up at $2000 I would say the boss would probably go to say $500 with some prodding. I have 2 rifles and 2 pistols currently to put in the safe plus probably some documents. I am sure they really run the gamut of prices though.

If you are or know a Costco member:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11379019&search=safe&Mo=7&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4000364%204294967148&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&D=safe&Ntt=safe&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

$590 delivered is a fair deal. At 350#, it is not light, but you could additionally bolt it down.

piggly_wiggly
01-06-10, 12:06
After having 2 friends have guns stolen from their homes in the past 12 months, I started shopping for some better safes. My main concern wasn't convenience, features, or fire protection it was fending off a determined thief long enough to discourage them from finishing the job. I ran across a discussion of Sturdysafe.com on a different forum, and after researching and comparing their product, I ordered their product and have to say I was very pleased.

cobb
01-06-10, 12:42
My wife demanded we get a safe after having our baby. I bought a Cannon 24 gun safe for $600 on black friday. Six hundred for the capacity, level of fire proofing, and digital lock is very comparable to other brands. For less than 6 guns you can have shelves in half of it, the safe also has a plug in for a light and heat rod.

cannarella
01-06-10, 12:55
Went out looking at lunch. Not much near work here. Craigs list for Atlanta is pretty scarce also. Will have to check Dicks and Bass Pro this weekend.

khc3
01-06-10, 13:03
I have one of these (http://www.sunweldingsafes.com/products/cavalryseries.html).

I got an upgraded 1" laminated steel door for it. It weighs over 1300 lbs, and 3 professional safe movers could barely move it from one garage to another.

The crappy S&G digital lock crapped out, and the safe guy who installed a new manual lock said it the safe was very well made.

I can't remember what I paid for it, which is probably a good thing.

cannarella
01-06-10, 17:13

So I was reading this in more detail and the safe at the bottom at Sam's seems like a good bang for the buck. SWMBO didn't flintch. We may be making a trip to Sam's this weekend. :)

Erik 1
01-06-10, 17:21
Take a look at the one that was on sale at Lowes a couple of weeks ago. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=292952-10283-CE12-BK&detail=&lpage=none It's not super expensive even when it's not on sale and if you use the Lowes 10% coupon that is the post office change of address kits, it's even cheaper. Thanks again to the guy that originally posted this safe, and the info about the coupon.

Fireglock
01-06-10, 17:41
So I was reading this in more detail and the safe at the bottom at Sam's seems like a good bang for the buck. SWMBO didn't flintch. We may be making a trip to Sam's this weekend. :)

I have a Sam's, called a "Winchester", it's fine. 60"x30"x22" and 505lbs. I've had it for 3 years and it won't walk out the door without some serious work. It was around $600.00. Cost was an issue for us as well.

Buckaroo
01-06-10, 17:57
I have a Sam's, called a "Winchester", it's fine. 60"x30"x22" and 505lbs. I've had it for 3 years and it won't walk out the door without some serious work. It was around $600.00. Cost was an issue for us as well.

Now goes for almost $900 on their website....

Buckaroo (who should have bought one sooner!)

Sun195
01-06-10, 18:34
AMSEC BF 6032 w/ LaGard electronic lock. Had it for the past three years - trouble-free so far.

CryingWolf
01-06-10, 19:04
Good link on what to look for in a safe.

Not to sound stupid, like I have done before, but what is the Big R store?

http://bigrstore.com/

More of a farm and ranch store. They don't seem to have one website. Depends upon where you live.

frogger
01-06-10, 20:11
I have a Champion Sport 23 with a LaGard e-lock. I paid about $850 for it and got a friend to help me bring it home and put it in place. Decent safe and I'm happy with it, but if I could have afforded more, I'd have gone bigger and better. If I had the money, I'd have gotten an American Security BF Series.

Whatever you get, go bigger than you currently need. Not only will your collection grow over time, but you will think of other things to store in it like your wife's jewelry when you go out of town and important documents in a fire box for example.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/frogger42/Misc/GunSafe1.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/frogger42/Misc/GunSafe2.jpg

lawusmc0844
01-06-10, 20:22
I bought a Liberty Franklin last week while I was still on leave. Paid $1669 but comes out to $1515 total after rebates. With 3 locking bolts and a 83,000 BTU rating (60 min 1200-1400 deg) I think it is a well built safe.

SloaneRanger
01-06-10, 20:46
Went out looking at lunch. Not much near work here. Craigs list for Atlanta is pretty scarce also. Will have to check Dicks and Bass Pro this weekend.

Not sure how far it'd be for you to drive but try USI sports/Bargain Barn up in Jasper, GA. It's about 45 mins north of ATL straight up I575 (IIRC) but I got a great deal on a Liberty and they have (had back in 2006) several different makes/models at very competitive prices...

CryingWolf
01-06-10, 21:02
Here are a few more thoughts to consider;

1. Homeowners insurance; Check with your insurer and make sure you have enough coverage to cover any loss of your firearms. A safe will get you a discount on that insurance, but I am pretty sure they just ask if you have a safe, cheap or otherwise.

2. The space you need, what you want to spend and your neighborhood; I really didn't have that much space and I didn't want to spend that much right now. and simply put in my neighborhood I am just not that worried.

3. Fire; This one really cracked me up when I really sat down and thought about it. I thought man I need a safe with fireproofing. Well it had better be water tight too, if my house is on fire and my safe is in the basement well, you get the picture.

In the end I figured out I really only needed a safe to deter someone from the quick score of finding the guns in the closet; to keep them out of reach of children who may be around from time to time and to consolidate them in one location. If anything major happens chances are I will have to make a claim against my home owners in any case.

cannarella
01-06-10, 21:25
Not sure how far it'd be for you to drive but try USI sports/Bargain Barn up in Jasper, GA. It's about 45 mins north of ATL straight up I575 (IIRC) but I got a great deal on a Liberty and they have (had back in 2006) several different makes/models at very competitive prices...

Wish they had a bette web presence. It is a 1.5 hour drive for me to get there from here. I guess I can call tomorrow and at least talk to someone to tell me what they got and save me a trip.

cannarella
01-06-10, 21:27
Now goes for almost $900 on their website....

Buckaroo (who should have bought one sooner!)

I just found it for $644 local pickup from Sam's. It seems to be the front runner.

tommy5.56
01-06-10, 21:34
I just found it for $644 local pickup from Sam's. It seems to be the front runner.

Make sure you inspect it good. If you see any flaws tell them to cut you a deal.

cannarella
01-06-10, 21:40
Just found this. Plug built in for dehumidifier.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-ts6030e-21-gun-safe-3809071

Buckaroo
01-06-10, 23:25

Outstanding!

polkhigh
01-07-10, 15:02
I bought a Liberty Franklin last week while I was still on leave. Paid $1669 but comes out to $1515 total after rebates. With 3 locking bolts and a 83,000 BTU rating (60 min 1200-1400 deg) I think it is a well built safe.

Nice...didn't even know there was a rebate available. I bought a Liberty Colonial on 12/31 the last day of the rebate eligibility. I got it for $1080 and its going to be delivered next week. Every little bit helps!!

Nevermiss
01-07-10, 15:34
I have a browning pro steel sterling series. 72" x 30" x 40" It weighs about 1,000 lbs. empty. It took 3 guys with a safe jack to get it in the house. I thought about putting it on a different level of the house, but I was warned about warping the hardwoods and bending the floor joists, so it sits on the foundation.

I was reviewing a thread on the5 6.8 forum similar to this with some links about shopping for a safe. The basics were get at least 60 min fire rating and 10 gauge steel. Of course I read this after getting one with 12 gauge steel.

I really needed a place to keep my firearms away from my young children and also wanted it for security and I will also be getting an alarm system.

rychencop
01-07-10, 19:17
i got a stack-on 12 rifle with shelves. it actually will only hold about 6-8 depending on scopes and such. it's not fire proof, but it has a decent locking mechanism and can be bolted to the floor. i got it at Dick's for $375 on sale.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3378974&cp=2367438.2367824.2292572.2292624

LINK74
01-08-10, 00:39
After looking for months at replacing my 20 year old steel lock box, I found you get far less than what you thought you were paying for. How much are your guns worth? Putting anything else in there? Looking to keep out just kids and crack heads or the one's that have come for your guns? I paid more than I wanted to but about what I needed to. I went with a sturdy gun safe.

cobb
01-08-10, 03:25
The Tractor Supply Co. safe is what I bought. I was able to buy it on black Friday for $600, you my be able to get a discount using their charge card.
Between the lower grade Champion and the high grade Stack-on it was money well spent. When I was looking the closest in size and fire proofing @ Gander Mt. was over 900. Good luck in your search.

cannarella
01-08-10, 16:54
So I got to go out and do some looking today and think I am going to get one from Dick's. It is their Field and Stream 28 gun safe. It is pretty much like this but different paint and graphics. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3385837 Made by Stack-On. 12 gauge, not optimal, but seems to be the best bang for the buck. The boss is wanting something that will last a lifetime.

Longhorn
01-10-10, 01:23
I dunno why being it's rather expensive for it's overall construction (11G body, 1200*/60min, 3 layers of 1/2" sheetrock for about $2500) and I can get a beefy AmSec or something for similar coin but I really like this overall setup.

Browning Tactical Series MKII AR35F

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/AR35Fl.jpg

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/AR35Fintl.jpg

Maybe because it says tactical in it lol. I dunno what it is! As I said the specs aren't necessarily there for it's price but something about it seems like it'd fit in my man cave...

montanadave
01-10-10, 11:10
I dunno why being it's rather expensive for it's overall construction (11G body, 1200*/60min, 3 layers of 1/2" sheetrock for about $2500) and I can get a beefy AmSec or something for similar coin but I really like this overall setup.

Browning Tactical Series MKII AR35F

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/AR35Fl.jpg

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/AR35Fintl.jpg

Maybe because it says tactical in it lol. I dunno what it is! As I said the specs aren't necessarily there for it's price but something about it seems like it'd fit in my man cave...

C'mon... no beer tap?

crob1
01-10-10, 12:49
Here is the one I got and where I got it from:

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/productdetails/460

I can't recommend SafeandVault Store.com enough. The experience was great.

lebowski
01-10-10, 19:32
I narrowe it down to an amsec bf or a sturdy safe. I went with the sturdy safe , but would have been happy with either of the two. IMO I wouldn't consider anything else in that price range, as most are constructed with thin steel and drywall. I wouldn't spend much on anything made of thin steel over drywall, but that's just me and apparently I'm in the minority because that's how the vast majority of gun safes are manufactured.

If money was no object, I'd get a true "safe", ie a brown or a graffunder.

cannarella
01-10-10, 21:12
Forget what I said about paying $1200....http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3385837

I may have to go to Dick's tonight and look at getting a second safe.

Thanks for the heads up.

So I picked this up yestersay. They didn't have this one but the Dick's brand called the Field and Stream 28 gun safe for $699 plus tax. Just getting the area ready. Hope to have it installed this week.

Longhorn
01-10-10, 21:23
C'mon... no beer tap?

It's only an 11 Ga body, it wouldn't be that hard to add one! :p

LockenLoad
01-10-10, 22:48
they just had a safe on sale at lowes check there

Coltdogg
01-11-10, 00:59
I have a Summit Denali, and love it. I paid a bit more for it the others I looked at, but I am very happy with it. I want to get one like what I have, BUT BIGGER!

http://www.summitsafes.com/denali.html

SIGguy229
01-12-10, 19:30
Zanotti....www.zanottiarmor.com

littleshoe
01-13-10, 00:45
I bought an AMSEC BF 6030 before I went to the sandbox. Came back and put all the guns in it and found out that I am two spaces short to getting everything on one side. Guess I should have bought bigger since I wanted to use the other side for valuables storage.

I have a golden rod in it but does anyone know if you can get the powder to use as a backup should the power goes out or anything?

bosshoff
01-13-10, 12:31
When you are ready for your last safe/vault, the top dog is Graffunder.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/

cannarella
01-15-10, 21:05
So this week I built out a corner in an unfinished room to put the safe. Moved it in to the location today and purchased 2 - 3/8" x 5" threaded concrete anchors to hold it down.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/andy-cannarella/safeclosed.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t234/andy-cannarella/safeopen.jpg

Ofc.JL
01-22-10, 15:29
Gentlemen,
Check with Academy Sporting goods if you have one in your area. They usually have good deals on medium to high speed gun safes. I bought a 14 gun Sentry firesafe for around $540.00 out the door. It's not as big or as heavy as your big safes, but at around 400lbs, it ain't light. And, It has provisions for bolting down to the floor. I do not know the gauge of steel plate they use, but it's not thin. The safe is pretty substantial and it's hardened against drills. Electronic locking mechanism, 8 full 1.5" anti pry locking pins, anti cut, hardened hinges, anti cut lip over the locking lugs recesses, 1400' for 30 minutes. Not bad for a Po' boy safe. I have seen a whole lot less for a whole lot more money. Worth a look for you guys that don't have extensive collection and are on a budget.
BTW, if I am not mistaken(and I could very well be!), most fireproofing in modern gun safes is not sheetrock. It looks like it, but it's a material that holds encapsulated water. As the temperature rises, the heat on the steel causes the material to release it's water as steam, thus acting as a heatsink. The reason I mention it is this; In the worst case scenario of your house burning down around your fireproof gun safe, it is imperative that you get to the safe as soon as safely possible and get your firearms out. Treat your firearms for water exposure immediately and they should be allright. Check with your gunsafe manufacture for their recommendation about heat exposure of their fireproofing, in any case.
Stay frosty, my Brothers
Ofc.JL:D