PDA

View Full Version : Police shoot, kill man who beat officers

Buckaroo
01-06-10, 13:27
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/illinois/article_3fb39df9-dc8e-5644-9d32-5e6b9e8b9055.html

CALUMET CITY | Police said they shot and killed a Chicago man Monday after he physically beat and severely injured two officers, and refused to submit after twice being hit with a stun gun.

Prince Alim Bantu Akbar, 32, whose last known address was the 500 block of South State Street, in Chicago, was shot twice in the 15700 block of Wentworth Avenue. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead, Calumet City Police Chief Edward Gilmore said.

The incident began about 12:30 p.m. when police received a series of three calls about a suspicious man who appeared to be "off his medication," Gilmore said.

The first caller reported that the man who was "yelling and screaming" had entered the Thornton Fractional Center for Science and Technology, a District 215 facility at 1605 S. Wentworth Ave., which is shared by students of both TF North and South high schools. A second caller reported that the man was out in the street waving, and the third caller said Akbar had entered the building asked to use a phone, offered to pay for the call and then left, Gilmore said.

School officials could not be reached Monday for comment.

Shortly before 1 p.m., a female officer arrived to find Akbar, who stood 6 feet 1 inch tall and weighed 265 pounds, outside a residence at 1579 S. Wentworth Ave., which falls between 166th and 167th streets.

According to witness statements, Akbar attacked the female officer almost immediately after she exited her car, punching her in the face. A second officer arrived, and Akbar attacked him as well, punching him in the face, Gilmore said.

"Both were knocked down and severely injured," Gilmore said. "This was not a one-punch fight. These officers sustained some substantial physical damage to their faces."

Gilmore said the officers attempted to use nonlethal force, twice striking Ackbar with a Taser.

The male officer was knocked into a semiconscious state, Gilmore said. When he "came to and rose to a prone position, he saw the female officer being beaten unmercifully. He drew his weapon and fired two shots, striking the offender," Gilmore said.

The officers were transported to local hospitals with moderate to severe injuries to their faces, including cuts, bruises and broken bones. Gilmore said the female officer will mark her two-year anniversary on the force next month. The male officer is a 15-year veteran.

The Cook County state's attorney's office and Illinois State Police are investigating the shooting.

Gilmore said he is not sure what Ackbar was doing in Calumet City, "but I wish he was somewhere else. He dictated the circumstances."

Glad to see the officers put the BG out of business!

Prayers for a rapid recovery for the officers.

Buckaroo

kwelz
01-06-10, 13:32
Another poor innocent unarmed man brutally and mercilessly gunned down by police..

Yeah right. I am sure that will be the cry of people within the next 48 hours.

Sounds to me like the officers did right. I hope they recover quickly.

SeriousStudent
01-06-10, 17:52
Rule of thumb: Do not attack the police, and your odds of not being shot increase dramatically.

Prayers sent that both officers make a full and complete recovery.

Cascades236
01-06-10, 18:05
Scarily, this is probably a text book good tase in the eyes of the 9th Circus Court.

Good on the officers doing what was necessary to save their lives.

bkb0000
01-06-10, 18:49
sounds like the guy was probably "off his meds." sad.. nothing anybody should be happy about, having to blow him away. but it sounds like it was 100% good shoot... just because somebody's headsick doesnt mean you can let them beat people to death.

prays sent for all involved.

SIGguy229
01-06-10, 19:45
Prince Alim Bantu Akbar,

You have got to be kidding me....His parents need to be punished too....

Volucris
01-06-10, 22:21
http://i50.tinypic.com/1427b4k.gif
Pictured far right. Read his profile on MySpace and searched around about him. Seemed like a pretty decent guy with some really bad happenings in his life. Apparently his mother shot and killed a white pedophile that was raping his sister and his mother being a black muslim got 60 years in prison. His internet posts hint at a lot of hatred towards white authorities and it makes sense if his story is correct. Judging by how he spoke, and his occupation as a spoken artist, "being off his meds" might be very correct.

Seems to me that the whole story isn't being told. How did he manage to beat down both officers when the officers had tasers according to the story? Also, he doesn't even seem like the type of guy to do such a thing. Would have had to bee on something, not off something to get through two taser attacks.

Also, Buckaroo, where did you find this story originally? I Googled it and found the original link on news sites specific only to the Chicago area and then a forum post on n***ermania (extremely racist Stormfront-like forum) from yesterday morning.

bkb0000
01-06-10, 22:41
the taser isn't 100%... people have defeated them. i've been voluntarily tased- took a full "5 second ride" with perfect dart placements on my shoulder blade and kidney. it sucked really bad, but i still had some degree of control over my body. if you're in a mental state that precludes either feeling the indescribable pain or recognizing what it is, you can still fight.

that, and the x26 is a single shot device. drive stuns are no more effective than baton strikes.. so if the cartridge gets burned up and he's still fighting, either because of a miss or break in the circuit, the taser is effectively out of the equation.

Volucris
01-06-10, 23:05
Sounds like that's what happened. Will be interesting to hear autopsy results to see what he was on. Kinda funny how he went from being polite with offering to pay to use a phone, then completely flipped around to beat up two cops.

Unarmed or not you can dish out some pretty good damage. Cops did use their tasers and it seems that they gave Akbar plenty of warning. I'm sure it's been picked over already.

nickdrak
01-06-10, 23:15
Seems to me that the whole story isn't being told. How did he manage to beat down both officers when the officers had tasers according to the story? Also, he doesn't even seem like the type of guy to do such a thing. Would have had to bee on something, not off something to get through two taser attacks.

Since you seem to know him soo well, why dont you enlighten us?

ETA: I typed in "Calumet City Police" into Google news, and multiple responses from local MSM outlets came up. Was this incident supposed to be reported on CNN or the AP?:confused:

The fact that some idiot posted it on some douchebag forum is relative to what exactly???

Buckaroo
01-06-10, 23:19
Pictured far right. Read his profile on MySpace and searched around about him. Seemed like a pretty decent guy with some really bad happenings in his life. Apparently his mother shot and killed a white pedophile that was raping his sister and his mother being a black muslim got 60 years in prison. His internet posts hint at a lot of hatred towards white authorities and it makes sense if his story is correct. Judging by how he spoke, and his occupation as a spoken artist, "being off his meds" might be very correct.

Also, Buckaroo, where did you find this story originally? I Googled it and found the original link on news sites specific only to the Chicago area and then a forum post on n***ermania (extremely racist Stormfront-like forum) from yesterday morning.

Well, more information certainly provides some perspective. May be that this young man will deserve more sympathy than I originally believed. That being said, I am glad the officers will be able to return to their loved ones.

I saw this first at http://ingunowners.com a site that caters to Indiana gun owners.

The link is to a local paper here in NW Indiana.

Buckaroo

Volucris
01-06-10, 23:22
Since you seem to know him soo well, why dont you enlighten us?

My apologies for using a free search engine to find out some information about who a person really was instead of letting people rip at him for his name like he was just some worthless piece of trash.

Read the same info I read and you would think it was odd of him to do this as well. Or is it too much fun to troll people?

Well, more information certainly provides some perspective. May be that this young man will deserve more sympathy than I originally believed. That being said, I am glad the officers will be able to return to their loved ones.

I saw this first at http://ingunowners.com a site that caters to Indiana gun owners.

The link is to a local paper here in NW Indiana.

Buckaroo
Yeah more info is always good. Kinda convenient how social network websites have made some of this stuff so easy to find. I figured you probably didn't get this from n***ermania hahahaha:p It was just the first thing that came up from a Google search of the guy's name.

madisonsfinest
01-06-10, 23:27
Being that its the middle of winter, he might have had a heavy winter jacket that did not allow for a good connection with the probes of the taser

Volucris
01-06-10, 23:31
Being that its the middle of winter, he might have had a heavy winter jacket that did not allow for a good connection with the probes of the taser

Didn't even think of that. The first real physical resistance Akbar got from the police was probably being shot.

nickdrak
01-06-10, 23:36
My apologies for using a free search engine to find out some information about who a person really was instead of letting people rip at him for his name like he was just some worthless piece of trash.

Read the same info I read and you would think it was odd of him to do this as well. Or is it too much fun to troll people?

Ahhhh, the internet!!! What a wonderful thing! You read it on the internet, so it's gotta be the TRUTH right???

Again.... since you know soo much about him and his life from doing a 10min search on the internet, enlighten us please!!!

Marcus L.
01-07-10, 11:29
"The incident began about 12:30 p.m. when police received a series of three calls about a suspicious man who appeared to be "off his medication," Gilmore said."

Who gives a flying F*** if he was taking medication or not! A man is judged by his actions and this man presented himself as a deadly threat to police and bystanders.

If the man is so unstable that it requires him to pop a pill on schedule perhaps he should be in a padded room or behind bars and not wandering around in society.

parishioner
01-07-10, 12:04
Also, he doesn't even seem like the type of guy to do such a thing.

First of all, you don't know this guy or what he is capable of. Secondly, the police were called THREE times by THREE different people because of his actions. He was obviously doing something that warranted the attention of the police.

Volucris
01-07-10, 12:34
You're over-analyzing what I said. From what I gathered reading the things he had said on the internet and his social networking sites he didn't seem like the type to go do something like that. Not sure what you're misunderstanding.

nickdrak
01-07-10, 12:44
You're over-analyzing what I said. From what I gathered reading the things he had said on the internet and his social networking sites he didn't seem like the type to go do something like that. Not sure what you're misunderstanding.

We think you're putting too much credence into what you read on the internet about this guy, and then relying on it come to the conclusion that "Seems to me that the whole story isn't being told" and "he doesn't even seem like the type of guy to do such a thing".