PDA

View Full Version : Glock nite sights

jrmymiles
01-06-10, 18:38
I just picked up a Glock 19 that has the factory nite sights. I know that the factory plastic sights are junk, but what about the nite sights?

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-06-10, 18:53
Good to go.

SWATcop556
01-06-10, 19:47
All of the ones I have seen have been good to go. I just prefer a different sight picture and use different sights.

jrmymiles
01-06-10, 19:57
Thanks for the info guys.

RD62
01-06-10, 20:45
I've had 3 with factory night sights and they have all been GTG.

Zero issues.

My carry gun has them.

-RD62

GMZ
01-07-10, 08:06
They should be gtg. What kind are they? Mine came with Trijicons, Ive heard they come with Mepros too.

jrmymiles
01-07-10, 08:17
They are not Trijicons. Just the factory Glock brand metal nite sights. The Gun is used but never fired.

JonInWA
01-07-10, 08:21
Glock provides two nightsights as OEM (or for aftermarket sales)-Glock-branded (which are Meprolite tritium vials encased in a Glock tenifer-treated sight body, warranted for 15 years) and Trijicon, warranted for 12 years.

While both are good, the Trijicon provides a better sight picture for day use, in my opinion, in that the front sight is a bit thinner, providing more light bars when the sights are aligned.

I believe that Glock has now standardized screw-on front sights for all sight variations. Previously, OEM nightsights (both Glock and Trijicon) were attached via splaying of the front sight mounting post, combined with adhesive; aftermarket provided Trijicons from Glock's Parts Department were screw on.

Best, Jon

jrmymiles
01-07-10, 08:34
Thanks for the great info guys, I must have the Mepro. The front sight is screwed on.

DocH
01-07-10, 16:29
Glock provides two nightsights as OEM (or for aftermarket sales)-Glock-branded (which are Meprolite tritium vials encased in a Glock tenifer-treated sight body, warranted for 15 years) and Trijicon, warranted for 12 years.

While both are good, the Trijicon provides a better sight picture for day use, in my opinion, in that the front sight is a bit thinner, providing more light bars when the sights are aligned.

I believe that Glock has now standardized screw-on front sights for all sight variations. Previously, OEM nightsights (both Glock and Trijicon) were attached via splaying of the front sight mounting post, combined with adhesive; aftermarket provided Trijicons from Glock's Parts Department were screw on.

Best, Jon Appreciate the confirmation of my suspicion that the Glock brand sights had Meprolight vials. The Meps have been some of the brightest I've seen and used and the Glock brand is just as bright.
A couple of months ago I took a second Gen. 19 I had picked up cheap down to Glock for the upgrades and refinishing.I had them install the Glock brand night sights and mentioned to the tech that I thought they were really Meps. He didn't say anything but just grinned. Some people may cuss 'em because they're not the latest whiz bang sight out there,but for me they work just fine.That is, on the rare occasions that I use the sights at all.;)

JonInWA
01-07-10, 16:41
Your welcome, guys. And I certainly wouldn't have any hesitation in using/trusting the Glock/Meprolight sights-I just personally prefer the Trijicons because of the combination of the thinner front sight blade and the white vial surrounds; the combination seems to turn my G19 into a sportscar of handguns-but I've also done passably well with the standard Glock (non-tritium) sight set-up, replacing the polymer sights with the Glock steel rear and the Glock/Trijicon non-tritium front on both my G17 and G21. My G34 has a set of Warren Tacticals on it.

Best, Jon

tracker722
01-07-10, 22:08

Best, Jon

Jon, just to let you know, my department got new G21SFNS pistols three months ago and all the front sights use that splaying system. Personally, since I'm the armorer for the department, I hate that way of attaching them. It hasn't happened yet, and I hope it doesn't, but I can picture them flying off at any time.:eek:

Tracker

citizensoldier16
01-09-10, 10:32
Factory installed Trijicon's are GTG! Mine came in perfect condition with a POA/POI at 25 yards and it's dead on. That was about 8 years ago now. They're still bright at night, and Ive had no problems with them whatsoever.

M4arc
01-09-10, 10:49
I run the stock (Mepro) NS on my G26 and while I don't like them as much as the Trijicons on my G19s they're good sights and they are very bright.

JonInWA
01-09-10, 11:04
Tracker, I believe that Glock "batch produces" their models, and I suspect that your G21s with the "splay attachment" front night sights are reflective of an earlier-produced batch, prior to the switch to going with the screw-on sights across the board. But, then again, it's Glock-who really knows?

Best, Jon

tracker722
01-09-10, 16:43
Tracker, I believe that Glock "batch produces" their models, and I suspect that your G21s with the "splay attachment" front night sights are reflective of an earlier-produced batch, prior to the switch to going with the screw-on sights across the board. But, then again, it's Glock-who really knows?

Best, Jon

True Jon, ours was one of the first departments to get the FS 21s and it is hard telling what Glock was doing at the time.