PDA

View Full Version : OK, let's have it...UT or bama?? M4 National Championship Thread:

Artos
01-06-10, 20:10
I may end up listening to this game on the radio out at the ranch...the friggin rut is ON right now and only got a couple weeks left to get a good'n. This blue northern is gonna hit, no commitments at work & I may very well kick myself in the tail as I REALLY want to watch this game. but....i also really wanna chase the whitetail too!!

Anyway, let's hear some predictions:

I'm gonna go waaayyy out on a limb and say the horns will squeak this one out as an underdog. I like bama but UT is my team.

HOOK'EM

Mjolnir
01-06-10, 22:29
I'm leaning towards Alabama. I'm also a HUGE fan of SEC Football. I do believe that 'BAMA will *NOT* have an easy time as many seem to think based on TX's rather poor showing against a much improved Nebraska team.

Thomas M-4
01-06-10, 22:36
ROLL TIDE:D

Sone
01-06-10, 22:42
Roll Tide by 7

DragonDoc
01-06-10, 23:36
I'm a UF Gator fan so I have to pull for the SEC team. The folks here in San Antonio love it when you walk around representing out of state teams. Anyway, though I loathe the tide I have to pull for them since they are representing the SEC.

Let's here a half hearted "roll tide!"

Artos
01-07-10, 07:55
ROLL TIDE:D

Had a feeling you would rear your head...:D:p

I'm leaning towards sticking around. Dad has a b-day and might as well cook him a steak since he can't go out till the weekend.

It will be interesting to watch the line the closer we get to kick-off!! Two really good teams and hoping both bring their 'A' game. I wanna see a battle.

jmtgsx
01-07-10, 08:07
'Bama by 14. I'm a Big XII guy but ....a realist.

01-07-10, 10:51
DragonDoc- Yep. I'm a Univ. of Tenn. grad(the real UT) and despise Bama, but gotta' pull for the SEC team. By the way, I despise UF as well.:p Hopefully in 2-3 yrs. we'll be at the top lookin' down at the Gators and Tide. Not completely sold on Kiffin yet.

FlyAndFight
01-07-10, 10:53
Nick Saban must lose. Can't stand the guy...

Palmguy
01-07-10, 11:10
Gator here pulling for the Horns, not out of spite at the SEC Championship though; I think they got boned last year and all year I've been hoping to see them go all the way (unless matched against UF).

I remember what happened last time Texas was in the big game and no one gave them a shot. I think Alabama had an above average game against Florida and Texas had a below average game against Nebraska, and things will level out a bit in this game.

On paper Alabama wins, but in reality who knows...whoever wins, congrats to them.

Looking forward to hopefully a night of good football in 720p, good food, good weather, and knowing it's almost the weekend.

orionz06
01-07-10, 11:15
gotta go with 'bama (from a PSU alum). they seem to be the more complete team with one of the best coaches around.

warpigM-4
01-07-10, 11:45
ROLL TIDE

stipilot
01-07-10, 11:57
Hmmmm... lessee....

I think 'bama is the better football team but they are SEC.

TX has the dorkiest band uniforms in the NCAA and the win over NEB to get them here was pathetic.

So the tie breaker must be: Which team has the prettiest cheerleaders?

stipilot
01-07-10, 11:58
Hmmmm... lessee....

I think 'bama is the better football team but they are SEC.

TX has the dorkiest band uniforms in the NCAA and the win over NEB to get them here was pathetic.

So the tie breaker must be: Which team has the prettiest cheerleaders?

@orionz06...
We are...

Artos
01-07-10, 12:11
bama is favored by 4 right now....12 noon central

stipilot, the ut gals are yummy:)

stipilot
01-07-10, 12:40
stipilot, the ut gals are yummy:)

Kewl. I was very impressed by the TCU girls.

Longhorns it is.

chadbag
01-07-10, 13:09
Texas

Just to show Alabama that Utah was not a fluke

whiterabbit05
01-07-10, 13:22
Horns by 3. :eek:

Artos
01-07-10, 13:24
espn just showed a really funny map / poll by state....49 states picked the tide (they were in red) and only Texas picked the horns (colored blue.)

buncha haters out there...:D

NinjaMedic
01-07-10, 14:55
BTW its gonna be one hell of a game!

NinjaMedic
01-07-10, 14:55
Dude do you even have to ask about the cheerleaders? From getting to work the field at UT home games let me assure you that UT has the best cheerleaders in the NCAA!

Our Bevo, who art in pasture, hallowed be Thy horns. Thy University come, Thy will be done, on the field as it is in Austin. Give us this day, our daily hook 'em, and forgive us for nearly losing to Nebraska as we forgive the voters for not giving Colt a Heisman. Lead us not into Norman, and deliver us from Aggie-land................ For thine is the victory, the championship and the glory forever and ever. HOOK'EM!!

cschwanz
01-07-10, 14:57
Ive kinda liked Texas all year for the BCS championship, not terribly sure why, lol.

NinjaMedic
01-07-10, 15:11
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/316537-alabama-vs-texas-cheerleader-showdown

Artos
01-07-10, 16:30
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/316537-alabama-vs-texas-cheerleader-showdown

wow...i think we all won with that ninja!!

sabretom
01-07-10, 17:34
Roll Tide!!

Longhorn
01-07-10, 19:30
I may be a transplant...but check the name ;)

HOOK 'EM!

scottryan
01-07-10, 19:38
Texas did not win the big 12 championship legitimately.

Longhorn
01-07-10, 19:44
Texas did not win the big 12 championship legitimately.

How is your score being higher than the other teams when the clock reads 00:00 in the 4th not legitimate?

I watched the game, I'm not too blind to say Nebraska smacked UT in the face that whole night. But what did you see that makes you say it wasn't legitimate?

Artos
01-07-10, 19:47
roll'n em back....HAHA!!!

thought they had us on the fake there...

scottryan
01-07-10, 19:52
How is your score being higher than the other teams when the clock reads 00:00 in the 4th not legitimate?

I watched the game, I'm not too blind to say Nebraska smacked UT in the face that whole night. But what did you see that makes you say it wasn't legitimate?

Extra time was put on the clock for a field goal so Texas could win.

This has been reviewed a number of times by the NCAA and the clock read zero when one of the referees signaled an incomplete pass.

Time should not have been put back on the clock.

The only instance time can be put back on the clock is when the time keeper is suppose to stop the clock and a significant amount of time is accidentally let run off the clock.

Belmont31R
01-07-10, 19:59
Hook em horns...:cool::D

Belmont31R
01-07-10, 20:00

This has been reviewed a number of times by the NCAA and the clock read zero when one of the referees signaled an incomplete pass.

The only instance time can be put back on the clock is when the time keeper is suppose to stop the clock and a significant amount of time is accidentally let run off the clock.

Everything is bigger in Texas...including seconds. Adjust accordingly. ;)

Artos
01-07-10, 20:00
man, i feel for the young man...hope his shoulder is ok. Not a good way to end your college carrier.:(

i hear ya scotty...it did make for a good game though. I listened on the radio around the campfire. You may have heard me!!

01-07-10, 20:03
Go Vols! Wait, that's in 2-3 yrs. ROLL TIDE! SEC-Simply the best conference in the country.

Hope it's a great game for all concerned.

Palmguy
01-07-10, 20:09

Human delays both for a whistle to be blown by a ref and a timekeeper to press a button are huge relative to the actual amount of time being dealt with at the end of a game.

:01 is insignificant with say 10 minutes on the clock but it was ~15% of the balance of time remaining at the start of the play in question.

When the ball hit the ground, there was a second left on the clock. Period. They got it right.

Perhaps if Nebraska didn't do stupid shit like kick the ball out of bounds on the kickoff and horse-collaring Jordan Shipley, the one second wouldn't have mattered.

kittyhawk
01-07-10, 20:12
Colt just left tha game..........................Looks like a dislocated sholder.

scottryan
01-07-10, 20:23
Human delays both for a whistle to be blown by a ref and a timekeeper to press a button are huge relative to the actual amount of time being dealt with at the end of a game.

:01 is insignificant with say 10 minutes on the clock but it was ~15% of the balance of time remaining at the start of the play in question.

When the ball hit the ground, there was a second left on the clock. Period. They got it right.

So should the rules be different at the end of the game than in the 2nd quarter?

Perhaps if Nebraska didn't do stupid shit like kick the ball out of bounds on the kickoff and horse-collaring Jordan Shipley, the one second wouldn't have mattered.

There was no horse collar. Suh grabbed the back of his jersey.

JHC
01-07-10, 20:25
order up some whine with that cheese and press on. LOL

HOOK 'EM HORNS!

Longhorn
01-07-10, 20:26

Time was put on the clock...I'll agree. But to say it was extra time so UT could win is rather wrong.

Are these the same NCAA reviewers who helped SEC teams like...oh I don't know...UF and Bama win games this year too? ;) (UF vs UTenn and MSU, and UTenn vs Bama)

I don't blame ya for feeling cheated, but the NCAA rules and most of the nation doesn't see it that way.

scottryan
01-07-10, 20:31
Time was put on the clock...I'll agree. But to say it was extra time so UT could win is rather wrong.

Are these the same NCAA reviewers who helped SEC teams like...oh I don't know...UF and Bama win games this year too? ;) (UF vs UTenn and MSU, and UTenn vs Bama)

I don't blame ya for feeling cheated, but the NCAA rules and most of the nation doesn't see it that way.

The NCAA agrees with my position both in the rules that govern the game and the NCAA administration agree with Nebraska's complaint.

Longhorn
01-07-10, 20:40
The NCAA agrees with my position both in the rules that govern the game and the NCAA administration agree with Nebraska's complaint.

Hey, if that helps you sleep at night brother, I won't stop ya...

Artos
01-07-10, 20:42
they need to turn that freshman loose...let the chips fall.

man i feel bad for colt....

Palmguy
01-07-10, 21:03
So should the rules be different at the end of the game than in the 2nd quarter?

You're the one who started with this "significant amount of time" stuff. :01 is sure as hell significant when there is less than :02 on the clock, ain't it?

Answer this question, yes or no: There was :01 on the clock when the ball hit the ground.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJpuj7RLK0U (1:02 into the video)

There was no horse collar. Suh grabbed the back of his jersey.

Whatever you say...I guess it's just the evil Big XII conspiracy to sneak Texas in the back door to Pasadena :rolleyes:

BTW, Suh was at the line of scrimmage on that play. He was not involved in taking Shipley down.

Artos
01-07-10, 21:16
Answer this question, yes or no: There was :01 on the clock when the ball hit the ground.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJpuj7RLK0U (1:02 into the video)

i've always thought it was 1sec when it hit the ground and still do...i have some cornhusker buddies and do understand the frustration. The time stops when the ball is out of play, so really closer to 2sec.

anyway, the people in hell want ice water but don't get any...

scottryan
01-07-10, 21:40
You're the one who started with this "significant amount of time" stuff. :01 is sure as hell significant when there is less than :02 on the clock, ain't it?

Proof you know nothing about football.

The clock stops when a referee signals it to stop. Not when the ball hits the ground or goes out of play.

The timekeeper does not watch the ball.

The timekeeper watches the referee because the timekeeper does not always have a view of the ball.

This is not my opinion, this is the rule of the game.

When the referee signaled the clock to stop on this play the clock was zero and the game was over.

Your argument is complete bullshit.

Artos
01-07-10, 21:49
scotty...aren't all the plays ultimatly tied to the eye in the sky in college?? I understand the arguement but what right is right.

The refs could control every game by the whistle...the replay shows putting the time back was the correct call.

Thomas M-4
01-07-10, 21:52
ROLL TIDE:p

scottryan
01-07-10, 21:53
scotty...aren't all the plays ultimatly tied to the eye in the sky in college?? I understand the arguement but what right is right.

The refs could control every game by the whistle...the replay shows putting the time back was the correct call.

When the referee signaled dead ball, the clock was zero. Game over.

The NCAA disagrees with your position. I don't care what you think.

The only circumstance time can be put back on the clock is say for example an incomplete pass happens and the timekeeper forgets to push the button and an extra 15 seconds run off the clock.

Another instance of this happening is if time is running off the clock during a timeout.

CBTech
01-07-10, 22:32
ROLL TIDE:p

x2 brother.

Palmguy
01-07-10, 22:39
Proof you know nothing about football.

The clock stops when a referee signals it to stop. Not when the ball hits the ground or goes out of play.

The timekeeper does not watch the ball.

The timekeeper watches the referee because the timekeeper does not always have a view of the ball.

This is not my opinion, this is the rule of the game.

When the referee signaled the clock to stop on this play the clock was zero and the game was over.

Your argument is complete bullshit.

Childish personal attacks notwithstanding, the Big XII disagrees with you. Rule 12, Section 3, Article 6 of the NCAA Rule Book says "However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable."

As a dispassionate observer, because I know that the pass hit the ground and there was still time on the clock, I am glad that the officials got it right.

Longhorn
01-07-10, 23:02
When the referee signaled dead ball, the clock was zero. Game over.

The NCAA disagrees with your position. I don't care what you think.

The only circumstance time can be put back on the clock is say for example an incomplete pass happens and the timekeeper forgets to push the button and an extra 15 seconds run off the clock.

Another instance of this happening is if time is running off the clock during a timeout.

From the NCAA rule book (http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rules_5_2204c0005d-845f-4813-8391-54f15136079d.pdf):

Ball Declared Dead
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead:

i. When a forward pass strikes the ground.

Ball Out of Bounds
ARTICLE 3. a. A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a player, a game official or anything else that is on or outside a boundary line.

Limitations on Reviewable Plays
ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.
However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those
involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable. This excludes
fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c
and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

SECTION 5. Initiating the Replay Process
Game Stop
ARTICLE 1. There are two methods to stop a game to review a ruling on the field.
a. The replay official and his crew shall review every play of a game. He may stop a game at any time before the ball is next legally put in play
(Exception: Rule 12-3-5-c) whenever he believes that:

1. There is reasonable evidence to believe an error was made in the initial on-field ruling.

2. The play is reviewable.

3. The outcome of a review would have a direct, competitive impact on
the game.

I'm not trying to be an ass here. But reading this...I have a hard time believing Nebraska has a leg to stand on legitimately, to file any sort of grievance and the NCAA will or has sided with them.

Thomas M-4
01-07-10, 23:07
21-37 ROLLTIDE

JackOSU
01-07-10, 23:08
In my mind not a very classy move to score with less than a minute to go inside UT 5 yd line.

Thomas M-4
01-07-10, 23:10
In my mind not a very classy move to score with less than a minute to go inside UT 5 yd line.

Tyron STOPPED THAT:p

Longhorn
01-07-10, 23:12
That's how Saban rolls...lol.

No offense meant, just poking fun!

Not the outcome I hoped for, but hey - for not having McCoy out there, I'm not too terribly upset at the performance of the Freshman....at times lol. (Like minus the shovel pass and all the INTs).

Congrats Bama/fans...at least Texas didn't just simply roll over and tried to fight.

warpigM-4
01-07-10, 23:37
21-37 ROLLTIDE

:D:D:D

DragonDoc
01-07-10, 23:42
The SEC is now 6 - 0 in BCS Championship games. No other conference can make that claim. When an SEC team makes to the big game they finish what they started.

M4Fundi
01-08-10, 00:23
HOOOK'EM,.............HOOK'EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HORNS!

shit, I'm pissed & can't see strait!

A separated shoulder... decoded to watch the NUGE & Toby kick sum ass, its hick night;)

BAMA Bites!

Artos
01-08-10, 07:27
I was happy with the game even though it would have been the nutz to have both teams 100% healthy the entire game....i thought the heisman winner played a tougher than nails game. Shipley is quite the athlete and I would love to see him become the next largent!!

I also thought that young qb did well under such pressure. He will be fun to watch as he matures.

Congrats to the tide fans...you got REALLY lucky on this one!!:p

wes007
01-08-10, 08:44
You really have to hand it to Texas for fighting back under the circumstances they had. The first the that must be done to that program is start improving their receiving core. There were dropped passes in certain situations that were a must catch for a wide receiver. The defense played a hell of a game!

jmtgsx
01-08-10, 09:55
'Bama by 14. I'm a Big XII guy but ....a realist.

Not a bad call.:D:D:D

I think I hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back.

d90king
01-08-10, 10:19
I predict BAMA :D

jmtgsx
01-08-10, 10:55
I predict BAMA :D

Bet the farm!

scottryan
01-08-10, 13:52
Childish personal attacks notwithstanding, the Big XII disagrees with you. Rule 12, Section 3, Article 6 of the NCAA Rule Book says "However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable."

I'm well aware of what the rule book says and that line has been spouted by your side.

You don't think I have heard that line yet.:rolleyes:

Egregious means like 15 seconds go off the clock because the timekeeper wasn't paying attention.

scottryan
01-08-10, 13:54
From the NCAA rule book (http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Football_Rules_5_2204c0005d-845f-4813-8391-54f15136079d.pdf):

Ball Declared Dead
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead:

i. When a forward pass strikes the ground.

Ball Out of Bounds
ARTICLE 3. a. A ball not in player possession, other than a kick that scores a field goal, is out of bounds when it touches the ground, a player, a game official or anything else that is on or outside a boundary line.

Limitations on Reviewable Plays
ARTICLE 6. No other plays or officiating decisions are reviewable.
However, the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those
involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable. This excludes
fouls that are not specifically reviewable (Reviewable fouls: Rules 12-3-2-c
and d, 12-3-4-b and 12-3-5-a).

SECTION 5. Initiating the Replay Process
Game Stop
ARTICLE 1. There are two methods to stop a game to review a ruling on the field.
a. The replay official and his crew shall review every play of a game. He may stop a game at any time before the ball is next legally put in play
(Exception: Rule 12-3-5-c) whenever he believes that:

1. There is reasonable evidence to believe an error was made in the initial on-field ruling.

2. The play is reviewable.

3. The outcome of a review would have a direct, competitive impact on
the game.

I'm not trying to be an ass here. But reading this...I have a hard time believing Nebraska has a leg to stand on legitimately, to file any sort of grievance and the NCAA will or has sided with them.

So should the referees add one or two seconds back onto the clock after every incomplete pass or dead ball?

scottryan
01-08-10, 14:02
The Big 12 instant replay rules section 3: You can't review a play for time on the clock unless a play on the field is reversed. Because no play was reversed, the refs were not allowed to put time back on the clock.

scottryan
01-08-10, 14:11
One of the referees for the Big 12 game is also under a NCAA gambling investigation.

Palmguy
01-08-10, 15:04
I'm well aware of what the rule book says and that line has been spouted by your side.

You don't think I have heard that line yet.:rolleyes:

Egregious means like 15 seconds go off the clock because the timekeeper wasn't paying attention.

"My side"? LOL. It was no skin off of my back who won that game. I had been hoping that Texas would make it to the big show but I don't care that much. My team got curb stomped in our conference championship; only thing I really cared about after that was the Sugar Bowl.

Also "spouted" by the governing authority for the game in question; the Big XII Conference.

Where does that definition of "egregious" come from? I haven't seen it in the rule book, though to be fair I haven't really looked but if it's in there, I'm sure your vast knowledge of football will be able to provide a cite for it.

Longhorn
01-08-10, 15:17
Believe what you want Scott...I won't chastise you in believing what you want. After all I still believe Warrick Dunn scored against Virginia in the closing seconds of their game in the early 90s.

But officials add time to the clock all the time. Whether it seems arbitrary at 22:28 and won't directly effect the game, or at 59:59 and leaves us in a situation such as this. Officials can, will and do add time to the clock. You want to believe Nebraska was screwed? Go right ahead.

I would argue just as hard if the tables were turned and Texas lost to Nebraska in that final second. Because (in this case) Nebraska had 60 minutes to beat Texas. For 59:59 they did just that...