PDA

View Full Version : What is the smarter barrel length for a civilian's M4, 14.5" or 16"?

baffle Stack
07-09-06, 21:21
I am having trouble deciding what the sounder purchase is. I don’t own a can and don’t plan on getting one in the next few years, so I just can't see a use for a threaded barrel. Because of this I think I would be very pleased with a 14.5" with a vortex perm attached. What do you guys think? Is a treaded barrel useful to the civilian? I am not too concerned about the terminal ballistics difference either so I think I would really enjoy the 14.5's shortness, but I can't help but think I am missing something here? It could be just angst from 10 years of not being allowed. Here are a few things I have thought of...

1. Perm attaching a muzzle device stops you from pulling the gas block. From what I gather, this makes attaching a 1 piece FF tube near impossible. To the guys who know, is this trouble avoided if you use a low profile gas block? Do you still need to pull it to attach a FF tube if a low profile gasblock is attached?

2. The Vortex seems the natural and best choice for the civilian. It will do the best at the job needed, which is keeping the blast from blinding you. A threaded barrel allows us to change attachments but if not for a can why bother? I would rather save an inch (It think) Do you guys find swapping flash suppressors useful or are you like me and would just stick with what works best?

So what I would like is your opinion on what the smarter purchase is and what you have done in this situation. How did your builds come out? Do you have any regrets with your choice? Is the 16” M4 barrel noticeably more front heavy?

dubb-1
07-09-06, 23:01
Why limit yourself, or commit to spending extra $ to save 1.5"? I personally like having options. Give me two SBRs, one 16", and one 18", and I'm good...

michealj
07-09-06, 23:02
A permanently attached FH makes it a pain to change forends and I don't think the length you save is worth it in the long run, it's only about an inch and a quarter. If you want short do a SBR.

The Vortex is my favorite FH, so if you go with a 14.5" get the Vortex and you wont be sorry. There are other FH out there that work good as well.

In the end get what you want, you will be happier than letting others make the decision for you.

I went with a 16" barrel instead of the 14.5" because I planned on making changes from the start. I also figured the extra length with the FH on the 16" barrel would not be an issue for what I had planned. In the end I am glad I went with the longer barrel because it made all the modifications easier.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/michealj88/IMG_0313Large.jpg

K.L. Davis
07-09-06, 23:24
16" barrel with a mid-length gas system is about the perfect setup for a "carbine" type rifle... the 14.5" barrel came about due to things that will never really concern most of us.

baffle Stack
07-09-06, 23:27
You guys bring up a good point. My needs may change in the future and a threaded barrel would make things much easier. I was going to go DD lite 9.5 over some low profile gasblock. I am confident that I will not feel the need to change the FF tube for a long time. I also plan on getting it straight from Grant so I won't be building it myself. My point being I don’t think I will be modding this upper much.

Are there any gasblock that don’t need to be removed in order to take the FF tube on and off?

baffle Stack
07-09-06, 23:38
16" barrel with a mid-length gas system is about the perfect setup for a "carbine" type rifle... the 14.5" barrel came about due to things that will never really concern most of us.

Ahh yes I have thought long and hard about this configuration but decided to leave it out of this thread to make it easier to follow, but since you brought it up... ;) I see that BCM makes this configuration and I too think this just might be the Ideal general upper. For those who have this upper a few questions,

1. Does this barrel have M4 feedramps?
2. What is the profile between the muzzle and gasblock? (I would love it if it was thin)
3. How much of the gasblock will the DD lite 9.5 cover?

I would ask if it had the correct FSB if I wasn't planning to ditch it, but it's worth noting here if you know. Come to think of it what is the correct FSB to put on a middy?

bigbore
07-10-06, 00:12

http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/kit_carbine.jpg

KevinB
07-10-06, 08:00
16" Midlength - no doubt the most versatile choice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Courses/ContractorDriving427.jpg

Yojimbo
07-10-06, 10:22
I agree with going 16" for more options and I also agree with going with the mid-length gas system as well!! IMHO, you can't go wrong with that combo!:D

http://www.huntingpictures.net/data/560/95P4300071_Large_.JPG

Nitrox
07-10-06, 10:58
16" barrel with midlength gas system and rifle length sights.

DevilDog
07-10-06, 11:25
All my carbines were purchased before anyone was making a decent midlength, so I don't have one... yet... :(

To echo the above, I too recommend a 16" midlength - imho, it is the best carbine configuration for non-SBR build.

Aubrey
07-10-06, 11:54
Does a mid-length gas system require a different buffer (e.g., "H" versus "H2") as compared to a carbine-length gas system for a 16" barrel?

VA_Dinger
07-10-06, 11:55
While I currently own a 14.5 w/pinned FS it would be hard for me to defend this purchase. The carbine itself is perfectly reliable though, I don't know how you can get much better than 100%.

That being said, buying a 16" in the first place makes far better sense. It has no legal issues or the extra hassle & expense of getting a longer than stock FS pinned. You also gain a relatively small amount of muzzle velocity and reliability with the extra 1.5” of barrel. Using a mid-length gas system only increases these advantages.

In short: Buying a 16” mid-length just makes sense. If I could do it all over again I would go this route.

M4arc
07-10-06, 12:00
Here's my opinion:

- I'm lazy so sending uppers off to ADCO to have flash hiders perm. attached or cut off is a real pain in my ass.
- The difference between a 16" M4 barrel w/A2 and a 14.5" M4 barrel w/phantom (or vortex) is only an inch. It's not worth the hassle for an inch.
- The new mid-length configuration is my favorite. Same length as the 16" M4, cycles smooth, extra rail space.

Kevin, I love that carbine!

CapnCrunch
07-10-06, 18:43
Either will do you fine. I prefer the 14.5", but that's personal preference based solely on what I do with my guns. I might change stuff on my builds after I get them together, but it's almost never the rail or the flash suppressor.

Besides, if you use a DD or LaRue HG and you want to switch out to a shorter or longer HG, just contact the manufacturer and buy a longer/shorter handguard. All you need to do at that point is loosen the slip ring, pull the HG, slide the new one on, and tighten the slip ring. Simple as pie.

baffle Stack
07-10-06, 18:55
Either will do you fine. I prefer the 14.5", but that's personal preference based solely on what I do with my guns. I might change stuff on my builds after I get them together, but it's almost never the rail or the flash suppressor.

Besides, if you use a DD or LaRue HG and you want to switch out to a shorter or longer HG, just contact the manufacturer and buy a longer/shorter handguard. All you need to do at that point is loosen the slip ring, pull the HG, slide the new one on, and tighten the slip ring. Simple as pie.

But that is with a low profile gasblock right?

Thanks for your feedback guys. Hey Paul, any ETA on your govt mid length? I cant find anyone with one in stock.

M4arc
07-10-06, 19:03
Hey I found a picture of my middy:

http://members.cox.net/mwinder3/middy.jpg

Resq47
07-11-06, 20:01
I went with a 14.5" + welded Vortex simply because I found a 1/7 CL barrel on sale when I needed the tube. Then i wound up with a two-piece FF rail that's a compromise to work with the barrel...

My next will be 16" midlength and I won't look back.

CapnCrunch
07-11-06, 23:04
[/COLOR]

But that is with a low profile gasblock right?

Thanks for your feedback guys. Hey Paul, any ETA on your govt mid length? I cant find anyone with one in stock.
Yep, with a PRI, LaRue, or KAC low profile block the tube should slip tight over.

Hoplophile
07-11-06, 23:34
I see that BCM makes this configuration
1. Does this barrel have M4 feedramps?
2. What is the profile between the muzzle and gasblock? (I would love it if it was thin)
3. How much of the gasblock will the DD lite 9.5 cover?

I bought a pair of stripped barrels from Grant and picked them up yesterday.

They have M4 barrel extensions and have the same profile as an A2 barrel, just 4" shorter. Normal mid length handguards are 9", so a 9.5 rail won't cover much of the has block.