PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Change the Springs how often

Pappabear
01-07-10, 01:10
When it comes to me counting how many rounds I shoot- I suck. So I'll be guessing. Anyway, how often do you change springs, and what is the malfunction that happens when you don't change soon enough? FTF?

I have two five inch and one 4.25.

John_Wayne777
01-07-10, 07:22
I'm assuming you're talking about recoil springs here....

Depends on the spring and the round count. The standard factory springs (16 pounds, usually for 5" guns) start to go south after about 1,000 rounds of standard ball ammo. 18 pound springs tend to last a bit longer. Opinions on their replacement vary, but 2,000-3,000 rounds is the range generally accepted for changing them out.

What happens if you don't change the recoil spring in a timely manner? The gun can stop working.

A 1911's feeding cycle can be charitably described as "delicate." If the spring is too worn it impacts the speed the slide moves at. If you have a worn recoil spring that lets the slide move faster than it should and a magazine spring that doesn't move the next round into proper position fast enough, whammo...you've got a malfunction. If you shoot on a worn recoil spring you are also needlessly battering the frame. As the spring weakens the slide comes back with more and more force which, over time, can damage/destroy a frame.

The shorter the 1911 the more crucial it is to make sure mag springs and recoil springs are in spec.

Pappabear
01-07-10, 08:06
JW777, thank you. My TRP definitely needs a new spring. Would you guess that a SA TRP, (Not the Pro) would be 18lb?

rob_s
01-07-10, 08:13
I used length when I was a 1911 shooter. I don't recall what my go/no-go was but I would compare the length of the spring in the gun to a new one and change it out when it was x% shorter. (don't recall my x value though) And I always changed the firing pin spring at the same time. It came with the recoil spring, so I figured why not.

rob_s
01-07-10, 08:14
The shorter the 1911 the more crucial it is to make sure mag springs and recoil springs are in spec.

This is also correct. I had a Kimber Compact Aluminum that I bought used that wouldn't run at all when I first got it. Researched the factory spring weight, replaced it, and the gun ran fine after that, and with proper x% maintenance.

theJanitor
01-07-10, 10:18
2500 rounds with the wolff progressive rate 17.5's. my guns are very reliable with a wide variety of spring rates, so i use springs that tailor how the gun recoils and returns to battery.

eta, i use 230gr ball, almost exclusively for training, competition. and 200gr hornady +p TAP for HD ammo

cannarella
01-07-10, 10:21
Where do you guys like to purchase your 1911 parts like springs? After reading this mine is probably due.

ThirdWatcher
01-07-10, 10:46
I buy mine from either Wolff Gunsprings http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1 or from Wilson Combat http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_springs_recoil.asp (with good results on both products). FWW, I prefer 18.5# recoil springs on my .45 ACP 1911's. :)

MarshallDodge
01-07-10, 10:51
I typically change mine about every 2-3000 rounds or when racking the slide starts to feel soft.

I get my Wolff springs from Brownells because I am usually buying some other stuff at the same time.

cannarella
01-07-10, 14:38
I buy mine from either Wolff Gunsprings http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV'T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1 or from Wilson Combat http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_springs_recoil.asp (with good results on both products). FWW, I prefer 18.5# recoil springs on my .45 ACP 1911's. :)

Thanks. Got a full set of springs on the way for the Combat Commander.

Ttwwaack
01-07-10, 14:45
The change rate for Officer and shorter is at 500 rounds.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-07-10, 18:37
3-5k on full size. Every 1-2k on Officers

d90king
01-07-10, 20:37
3500 rounds...

NCPatrolAR
01-07-10, 23:21
I do the 5" guns at 2k and only use Wolff 18# springs.

Jason Burton
01-08-10, 00:06
Assuming the 1911 is chambered in 45ACP I would recommend changing the recoil spring every 2000-2500 rounds in Government and Commander Models. This may be sooner than what is actually needed but fresh recoil springs are cheap insurance for pistol longevity.

SWATcop556
01-08-10, 01:12
If you're talking about the recoil spring, I try to change mine out around 2500 or so.

Here's some good reading on 1911's as well:

http://www.10-8performance.com/id9.html

http://www.10-8performance.com/id8.html

http://www.10-8performance.com/id32.html

The third referenced article goes pretty indepth into maintenance and longevity.

Mojo58
01-08-10, 01:52
Not sure if you've seen this: http://www.gunsprings.com/faq#Faq6 I've had good experience using Wolff gunsprings in my Kimber 4" Compact.

nking
01-08-10, 13:46
For 5" models:

Change the recoil spring every 2,000 rounds
Change the firing pin spring every 5,000 rounds
Change the main spring every 25,000 rounds

nwcatman
01-08-10, 16:18
is this why my 1911 commander 70 series .45acp is starting to short stroke on the last shot? probably has the original spring in it and maybe 5-6k rounds since 1982 ( or so) thru it.

MarshallDodge
01-09-10, 11:23
When you say short stroke, do you mean failure to return to battery, or failure to pickup a round off the magazine?

Springs are cheap. I would go ahead and replace the recoil, mainspring, and firing pin spring just because of the age.

If it is failing to pickup a round off the magazine then it is probably a weak mag spring.

theJanitor
01-09-10, 11:59
is this why my 1911 commander 70 series .45acp is starting to short stroke on the last shot? probably has the original spring in it and maybe 5-6k rounds since 1982 ( or so) thru it.

i would think that a commander from 82 with 5k rounds through it would need a new spring. what i do for my commander is: new spring, with every new case of ammo.

nwcatman
01-09-10, 13:05
its feeds ok but on the LAST round out of the mag when it is ejected is all mangled from the case mouth backwards. and when i say it feeds "ok", i shoot exclusively my reloads and never had a problem feeding them into the ed brown bbl. but recently a few have hung up on the feed ramp where they never used at all. mags are bill wilsons.

Pappabear
01-09-10, 21:16
Good reading, thanks. I changed it out with a Wolf 18.5lb "Extra Power Chrome Silicone wire"and it never missed a beat. I noticed the slide was too easy before changing. I will change it earlier next time. Great gun and never malfunctioned, but I probably beat it up a little waiting so long. Probably 4K.

What was the second spring that came in the package. About a 2 inch small one. What is it and do I need to instal it? Is there a you tube on doing it. So I dont F%$k it up.

ShipWreck
01-10-10, 09:01
That is likely the firing pin spring. They come in packages of 2 quite often

nking
01-10-10, 21:27
Good reading, thanks. I changed it out with a Wolf 18.5lb "Extra Power Chrome Silicone wire"and it never missed a beat. I noticed the slide was too easy before changing. I will change it earlier next time. Great gun and never malfunctioned, but I probably beat it up a little waiting so long. Probably 4K.

What was the second spring that came in the package. About a 2 inch small one. What is it and do I need to instal it? Is there a you tube on doing it. So I dont F%$k it up.

That would be a firing pin spring. Remove the firing pin stop by pushing the firing pin in and sliding the stop down. Replace that firing pin spring every 5,000 rounds.

Pappabear
01-10-10, 22:42
Yes, it was a FP spring. Thanks

panzerr
01-11-10, 02:55
I went nearly 5,000 rounds in my Professional Model (4.25 in) before switching the recoil spring.

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you rely on the particular weapon for competition or protection. I wanted to see how long it could go before it started having problems. As it turns out, the spring turned south very quickly -it went from functioning flawlessly to failing to go into battery every 50 rounds or so.

nking
01-11-10, 06:48
I went nearly 5,000 rounds in my Professional Model (4.25 in) before switching the recoil spring.

I wouldn't recommend doing this if you rely on the particular weapon for competition or protection. I wanted to see how long it could go before it started having problems. As it turns out, the spring turned south very quickly -it went from functioning flawlessly to failing to go into battery every 50 rounds or so.

When you wait that long you're needlessly battering the frame, too.

ShipWreck
01-11-10, 15:24
That would be a firing pin spring. Remove the firing pin stop by pushing the firing pin in and sliding the stop down. Replace that firing pin spring every 5,000 rounds.

So, you needn't swop that everytime ya do the recoil spring? Some claim to do both at the same time. I just got back into 1911s after a few years away, and I couldn't remember.

WGG
01-11-10, 21:32
I just changed the recoil spring in my T3 (commander slide). The new #18 spring is a full inch longer than the one it replaced. I thought it was not the same spring so I counted the colis and there were 20 on both. This is after about 2K rounds.

DBR
01-12-10, 23:04
The simplest way to determine recoil spring replacement is to measure the length of the spring when you clean the gun. Good quality springs like Wolff normally shorten about 1/2" as they break in (maybe 500 rds) then they stay about the same length for their useful life. If the recoil spring starts to shorten after achieving a stable length it is finished. So long as the length of the spring remains stable it will maintain the same force.

Progressive springs were designed to reduce unlocking force in compensated game guns (along with weak main springs). IMHO they have no place in a serious use gun.

cannarella
02-01-10, 22:28
So I got the Wolff spring kit for the Commander installed and went and shot about 50 rounds at the indoor range last Friday.

First, my old springs were definitely in need of replacement. The gun had an unknown number of rounds through it before it was given to me. The old recoil spring was about 1/2" - 3/4" shorter then the new one and much softer. The old main hammer spring was shorter also. That was a pain to get back in. I did have a parts launch across the room when trying to replace it. The new springs definitely stiffened everything up. Now the safety is a little tight for me. I may just have to work it some. It requires much more pressure to engage and release.

At the range the gun shot much better the before. I think even the trigger pull was better. It was less jerky and I was able to maintain a tighter group better then before.

I am glad that I stumbled across this thread or I would have never thought to do this maintenance.

DBR
02-01-10, 23:39
The easiest way I have found to replace the main spring is to clamp the main spring housing in a vice top end up with some protection like file folder cardboard or an old leather belt. Use a small Phillips screwdriver to push the plunger down then push the retaining pin out with a small punch or paper clip.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.

Unless you replaced the safety plunger spring, replacing the main spring should have no effect on the safety if it is fitted properly. This is something you might want to check out.

cannarella
02-02-10, 06:11
I replaced all the springs. So yes I did replace the safety plunger spring.

300WM
10-21-10, 22:48
Assuming the 1911 is chambered in 45ACP I would recommend changing the recoil spring every 2000-2500 rounds in Government and Commander Models. This may be sooner than what is actually needed but fresh recoil springs are cheap insurance for pistol longevity. exactly.