PDA

View Full Version : "Quotes" are flippant.

panzerr
01-07-10, 07:33
I've been noticing a trend on this site and I can't ignore it anymore.

Quotations are used to indicate the exact words someone else may have spoke or put into type.

Using quotations when not directly quoting someone throughout the internet is a way of being flippant through type.

Unless you intend on being flippant or are directly quoting someone, please don't use quotes -your written words which lack facial expression, tone and inflection may reflect a tone you did not intend.

Outlander Systems
01-07-10, 08:01
Unless you intend on being flippant or are directly quoting someone, please don't use quotes.

Sorry, dude. I had to do it!

;)

larry0071
01-07-10, 08:05
But..... "I like using quotes!"

Business_Casual
01-07-10, 08:08
Like this?

Using quotations when not directly quoting someone throughout the internet is a way of being flippant through type.

Or like like this?

"Using quotations when not directly quoting someone throughout the internet is a way of being flippant through type."

Oh, just curious, of what Middle School are you Vice Principal?

M_P

rob_s
01-07-10, 08:11
What's wrong with being flippant? Is it considered "rude" or not "nice enough" for the internet?

GMZ
01-07-10, 08:13
Quotes are useful for replying to someone specific or someones specific post in a thread of hundreds of posts. Otherwise every thread would be a mosh pit of posts.

Zhurdan
01-07-10, 08:24
It's also a means of conveying "inflection" in text. Being that the visual cues of normal interaction are missing, it lends itself to emphasis.

Outlander Systems
01-07-10, 08:42
It's also a means of conveying "inflection" in text. Being that the visual cues of normal interaction are missing, it lends itself to emphasis.

I think you put the em-phasis on the wrong sy-llable. :p

geminidglocker
01-07-10, 08:56
Quotes are useful for replying to someone specific or someones specific post in a thread of hundreds of posts. Otherwise every thread would be a mosh pit of posts.

Exactly!!!

LRRP-87
01-07-10, 09:03
Oh great, I grew up my whole life with my mother correcting my English and writing skills(she has a doctorate in English). I thought I had taken my last English class in college long ago; but here it is again smacking me in the face on one of my favorite forums. I can't get away from it. I guess it's one of those things that follows you for life.:D

glockeyed
01-07-10, 09:29
im still confused as to what is "proper"...

F-you

or "F- you"

i must be feeling nice today, i even censored myself. :eek: ;)

panzerr
01-07-10, 09:30
Exactly!!!

When someone "quotes" every other "word" like "this"

It's a way of being flippant -a way of subtly being a dick

ToddG
01-07-10, 09:37
Quotations are used to indicate the exact words someone else may have spoke or put into type.

There are a number of other acceptable uses of quotation marks in various style journals. Do a google search for "scare quotes" and I bet you come up with a good start.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-07-10, 09:38

Panzerr - the quote Nazi.

Flippant- lacking proper respect or seriousness

Maybe I'm stuck on your use of the word flippant. I think the more quotes the better. We already have too much "You talkin' to me" issues. Plus you can point out the exact part you are refering to, since sometimes people can be making many points in a post.

Panzerr - you do realize that you will now be the most quoted person on M4C.

SHIVAN
01-07-10, 09:40
The internet is serious business!!

Alex F
01-07-10, 09:48
For a second there, I thought I was on TOS.

militarymoron
01-07-10, 09:50
i defer to this video for the proper use of quotation marks.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/2331/saturday-night-live-update---bennett-brauer

bobby
01-07-10, 09:50
"You CANNOT be serious!"

Failure2Stop
01-07-10, 09:54
I have a few grammar peeves that get under my skin when I see them, and especially when I see them repeatedly. I generally have to remind myeslf that this is the internet, though this is a relatively well-behaved corner of it, and that some things aren't worth the time and effort when you are dealing with a global audience.

Summary:
Lighten up, Francis.

P.S.- Did I mention that a sense of humor helps as well?

ToddG
01-07-10, 09:58
Summary:
Lighten up, Francis.

The irony of quoting a movie without using quotation marks in this thread is just pure unadulterated awesome.

edited to add: Quotation marks would not have been grammatically appropriate, just funny.

panzerr
01-07-10, 10:01
im still confused as to what is "proper"...

or "F- you"

i must be feeling nice today, i even censored myself. :eek: ;)

Either one gets the point across

Failure2Stop
01-07-10, 10:01
The irony of quoting a movie without using quotation marks in this thread is just pure unadulterated awesome.

edited to add: Quotation marks would not have been grammatically appropriate, just funny.

I'm glad someone out there in enjoying these little pearls I try to share.

LOKNLOD
01-07-10, 10:03

Unlike starting threads to correct a forum's grammar, which is a very overt way of being a dick. :p

You're right a lot of people use quotes poorly but simply using them to emphasize words is a valid use, and as you noted, with the lack of facial expressions and inflection online it can be a useful way to help express one's tone.

Don't get wrapped around the axle on pretty nonsense like this.

panzerr
01-07-10, 10:14
Unlike starting threads to correct a forum's grammar, which is a very overt way of being a dick. :p

You're right a lot of people use quotes poorly but simply using them to emphasize words is a valid use, and as you noted, with the lack of facial expressions and inflection online it can be a useful way to help express one's tone.

Don't get wrapped around the axle on pretty nonsense like this.

There are plenty of legit uses of quotes, but using quotes to belittle, inslult, be flippant, or somehow reduce what another is saying happens a great deal on this site. It's very second grade, I am tired of it and it belongs on TOS, not here.

Again, I don't give a damn about anyone's bad grammar. What I care about it the subtle flippantness that goes unchecked and has been getting worse and worse.

austinN4
01-07-10, 10:14
"Don't get wrapped around the axle on pretty nonsense like this."
Quote of the day

JSantoro
01-07-10, 10:53
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4965/danger2y.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/danger2y.jpg/)

:p

Alex F
01-07-10, 10:59
What I care about it the subtle flippantness that goes unchecked and has been getting worse and worse.

Something I learned a long time ago (ironically, as a moderator on a forum like this) is that there are FAR more important things to worry about in your life than what people post on an internet forum.

GMZ
01-07-10, 11:02
Summary:
Lighten up, Francis.

http://www.theospot.net/pictures/misc/francis.jpg

rob_s
01-07-10, 11:04
Tone is tough to convey in writing. Sometimes people read things into something that isn't intended by the author.

For example, and I think applicable to what the OP is referring to....

Someone might post about defending themselves in their home and how they go about moving from room to room with their firearm checking for intruders and securing family members.

Someone else may respond and say something and include "room clearing" in quotes to save space even though the OP never actually used that exact term. If the respondent was agreeing with the OP then the OP will see no malice in this, but if there is a disagreement the OP will instead take great offense, focus on the minutia of the quoted term, and we're down the butt-hurt-highway. The thread typically becomes useless at this point.

However, the respondent may only be using the quotes as a form of sorthand to summarize what the OP was talking about, not to be flippant or otherwise mean to the OP.

ToddG
01-07-10, 11:18
Sometimes people read things into something that isn't intended by the author.

How dare you say that about my mother!

rob_s should be banned!

LOKNLOD
01-07-10, 11:28
"silly" "warning" "sign"

Hey! I made that! :p

Zhurdan
01-07-10, 11:29
Todd,
Could you please not use bold lettering. It just seems flippant and unnecessary.

four
01-07-10, 11:58
Seems like some people haven't realized that this is "the Internet" and not "real life". Rules are different here, not in a good or bad way, just different.

ST911
01-07-10, 12:02
I'm not sure which I like "better."

This thread about "quoting", or the "Sea Shepherd" thread with so-called "endangered" species.

panzerr
01-07-10, 12:03
Something I learned a long time ago (ironically, as a moderator on a forum like this) is that there are FAR more important things to worry about in your life than what people post on an internet forum.

This is something I learned when people were trying to kill me.

I'm not worry, I'm voicing an opinion. Y'know, something that people get stomped on around here for doing.

Zhurdan
01-07-10, 12:13
Don't take the "razzing" so serious. I have a special dump bag on my office chair just to put all the shit I get on forums in. It's my tactical shit storage bag.

By all means, have an opinion... just make sure to understand that just because it's your opinion, doesn't mean everyone has to agree. Goose and gander and stuff.

For the most part, I think people are just toying with you now, but I will say that I've been told I come off as arrogant in text, but I'm about the nicest, fun guy (according to people I know in person) ever. It's much more difficult to convey a thought in text alone than it is in person, so sometimes a "quote" here, a bold there, perhaps an italicize or two helps to accentuate, add some feeling. I mean, it'd be fine if we were all robots, text alone would be great, but alas, we are not robots.

Outlander Systems
01-07-10, 12:18
That is, essentially what I'm referring to.

Rare as it "could" hypothetically be, and despite never having witnessed one, I personally don't want to risk it.

Mostly, my reasoning for keeping pistols "ready to rock"...

I think the biggest obstacle, in "protect-the-homestead" situations, is the fact that you are forced to be on the reactive; short of having the dog establish "presence patrols".

...been advantageous to the "mission".

...and was asking for "Christine". She swore up and down that "Christine" lived there...

He succeeded through the tactics of "Cock and Awe™". I believe I owe IraqGunz royalties for that one.

"Guilty as charged!"

Outlander Systems
01-07-10, 12:28
"http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/1337w422102-albums-messed-up-joe-pictures-picture3367-breaker-finds-out-internet-indeed-quite-some-serious-business.jpg"

Spiffums
01-07-10, 12:39
"Laser Beam"

Alex F
01-07-10, 12:42
This is something I learned when people were trying to kill me.

Was that a snide comment?

lol...

You're right, my CIB was for surfing :D

"surfing"

Outlander Systems
01-07-10, 13:07
All these "quotes" are "flippant".

Panzerr: If it makes you feel any better "How come?" drives me absolutely batshit insane.

There's this word: WHY

It's more effective it doesn't make you sound like a dope.

Don't even get me started on there, they're, and their.

silentsod
01-07-10, 13:11
I can't believe you "flippant" "people!" No sense of "humor" to speak of.

You probably don't like that I ended that sentence with "of."

Two times. :p

Robb Jensen
01-07-10, 13:32
The interwebs is serious business!!

Fixed it for you. ;)

JSantoro
01-07-10, 13:52
Hey! I made that! :p

Indeed, and you have made a fantastic contribution to humanity with it, Sir!

I get a lot of mileage out of it, given that I'm forced to rub elbows with DoD acquisition and logistics analysts that feel they can make a "contribution" to the program by telling me how to teach trigger-pullers. I use it instead of telling them GFY in emails, which is deemed unprofessional, for some arcane reason. :confused:

Also, I'm poking fun, not stomping. Crom knows that any one of us here can get about 600 different examples of some tying habit or grammatic or syntax inconsistency that makes our individual teeth itch, on any given day.

geminidglocker
01-07-10, 14:06
Panzerr - the quote Nazi.

Flippant- lacking proper respect or seriousness

Maybe I'm stuck on your use of the word flippant. I think the more quotes the better. We already have too much "You talkin' to me" issues. Plus you can point out the exact part you are refering to, since sometimes people can be making many points in a post.

Panzerr - you do realize that you will now be the most quoted person on M4C.

Thanks for the coffee on my keyboard, delivered nasally!!!

Artos
01-07-10, 14:34
Don't even get me started on there, they're, and their.

How come?? Pretty easy to mix those up..."Your" going to go nuts if that's "you're" pet peave!!

FVC3
01-07-10, 14:42

Funnier without, say I.

Erik 1
01-07-10, 14:46
I'm glad someone out there in enjoying these little pearls I try to share.

Oink!

HiggsBoson
01-07-10, 15:23
Oink!

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2066/iseewilbur.jpg

tracker722
01-07-10, 21:41

pth3k
01-08-10, 12:06
Oh? "How Come?"

:D

glocktogo