PDA

View Full Version : LMT M4 Uppers...

Moose-Knuckle
01-07-10, 09:16
I went ahead and started a new thread as I could not get the search function to work the last few days, and yes I spelt out "Lewis Machine and Tool M4 Upper" in the search field. I kept getting this message even though it was my first search after logging into the site.

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between searches. Please try again in 70 seconds.

With that said...

I had an uncle give me a Colt MT6530 a few years back. I am considering getting a LMT M4 upper for it as I believe they are the most inexpensive mil-spec uppers that are in stock right now. I know nothing about these uppers but I do know that LMT has a great reputation in the military/LEO market. For anyone in the know I would like any feedback and or experiences with the LMT M4 uppers. I realize that my MT6530's lower is not to mil-spec sans the larger diameter pin holes. I have acquired a KNS Precision Pivot Pin to accommodate this.

Thanks in advance...

LonghunterCO
01-07-10, 11:03
You would be well served with a BCM upper also.

Failure2Stop
01-07-10, 12:02
LMTs are good uppers, I have one and it is fine, but the BCMs have some features that I prefer for a little less $.

It seems that the BCM 16" carbine uppers are out of stock at G&R and Bravo, but if I had a need for a 16" CAR gas upper I would wait for it to become available, so long as the wait wasn't ridiculous.

spamsammich
01-07-10, 12:46
if you have trouble with the search engine do this:

-go to google
-in the search field, type: site:m4carbine.net "your query here"

This will get you around the short word/common word limit built into the search engine and you don't have a time limit on repeat searches.

sundance435
01-07-10, 13:08
I had an uncle give me a Colt MT6530 a few years back. I am considering getting a LMT M4 upper for it as I believe they are the most inexpensive mil-spec uppers that are in stock right now. I know nothing about these uppers but I do know that LMT has a great reputation in the military/LEO market. For anyone in the know I would like any feedback and or experiences with the LMT M4 uppers. I realize that my MT6530's lower is not to mil-spec sans the larger diameter pin holes. I have acquired a KNS Precision Pivot Pin to accommodate this.

Thanks in advance...

The pivot pin might be standard on the lower, depending on how old that Colt is. I don't think Colt has made large pivot pin lowers for a while. The trigger group pins are most likely not going to be mil-spec.

LMT makes great uppers. My MRP piston upper had a Mike Rock barrel, which is very highly regarded. I'm not sure if they use Rock blanks for the standard M4 barrels though.

The only thing I would be wary of are the various reports that LMT is using a MIM carrier key on the BCG. If that is the case, as for me personally, I would sell the LMT carrier and replace it with a Bravo Company carrier. LMT is a great company and will stand behind their products in the unlikely event that something of theirs is defective.

shootist~
01-07-10, 14:48
Daniel Defense stocks a large hole upper that includes a large (Colt size) push pin:

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=19

I have a small hole upper on a Colt large hole lower that works "OK" with the pivot pin conversion, but it's still a pain in the ass.

ETA: The description on the DD upper does not specify if it comes with the M4 cuts.

sewvacman
01-08-10, 21:45
LMT makes a great upper, I really like the two I have and have never had a lick of problems with either.
That said I would buy a BCM upper if I were to buy a complete one today. They are on the same level of quality and the finish is nicer IMOm . I also agree with Sundance on the carrier, go with BCM/DD.
Just my .02

Moose-Knuckle
01-09-10, 07:09
Thanks gents...

I will look at the BCM's once they are back in stock. I have been reading of late on the MIM gas keys that LMT has been using. In my book this is a no go.

ColdDeadHands
01-09-10, 09:15
I love my LMT M4! Not saying that you shouldn't go with BCM...I don't have any first hand experience with their uppers....yet. If you like the LMT go for it. here's a teaser;

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz170/mw1311/My%20Guns/DSC_0089.jpg

CaptainDooley
01-09-10, 11:38
The 6530 is the Match Target version of the 6520, right?

I don't have experience with LMT uppers, but can testify to BCM.

Alternately, it seems to me the lightweight uppers are all the rage lately - you could (if you could find the right parts) replace the upper with a flattop and the FSB with an F-marked version. This BCM uppper would be a start:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-assembly-M4-Flat-Top-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%203.htm

(not that they're in stock right now), then you just need the FSB... which is (presumably) more difficult.

Of course, if you wanted some longer rails on it, you could shave down the FSB or use something like this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue-Tactical-Low-Profile-Gas-Block-LT-202-p/larue%20tactical%20lt-202%20625.htm

edwin907
01-09-10, 13:28
LMT makes fine stuff, and they have been doing it for a bit longer than many other manufacturers.
I've got multiple uppers and lowers, trigger groups, LPKs, barrels, and so forth, and haven't been let down yet.
And I still think LMT's MRP uppers are the best uppers in the game.
Just wish they would update the 6.8 barrels, other than that, no complaints.

Iceberg
01-10-10, 17:59
I love my LMT; they make great stuff that is priced right. I paid less than $900 for my complet lower w/ SopMod and complete 16" M4.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/ekbergie/Remington%203200/AR%2015/Hunting009.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
01-10-10, 19:53
The 6530 is the Match Target version of the 6520, right?

Correct, basically a PC version of the LE6520's. The MT has an A2 upper and stock with no bayo lug or threads on the muzzle.

Thanks guy's for all the info and suggestions.

Apparently I just missed out on the deal of a life lifetime, DDXV M4 uppers complete with BCG, charging handle and a DD A1.5 sight!

:eek: :mad: :(
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-DDXV-16-M4-Upper-Half-p/dd%20xv%20upper%20half.htm

Moose-Knuckle
01-10-10, 19:56
Double tap...

sundowner41
01-12-10, 17:05
I have two LMT uppers. Both are 16" M4s and both have enhanced bolt carrier groups. Both are more accurate than I am and fit and finish are great. Price wise, they are a great value.