PDA

View Full Version : Out with the Procyon, in with the WX-150

NCPatrolAR
01-07-10, 12:38
I've been issued a Procyon for a while at work and haven't been a fan of it. We had a host of lights that were loose on our guns and couldn't be tightened. We also had lights that would jetison themselves from the gun during live fire. A few of us had white light ADs doing to how easy the switching was to activate. The AD issue has happened to me in training and during operations at work.

With all that being said, we got word that our Procyons were being switched out with another model. When we recieved the lights, we saw that they were the new Insight WX-150. Looking over the light, it looks and functions like the Procyon. To their credit, Insight has addressed the flying light issue by installing a different locking bar on the light. The light also sits extremely tight on the rails of our guns and there doesn't appear to be any lateral or forward movement of the light when mounted. Two issues that remain unaddressed is the independent movement of the switching arms and how little pressure it takes to activate the light.

I undestand the independent movement feature is something people like. I don't care for it because I'm unable to operate the light with my primary index finger when my non dominant hand is occupied (usually controlling a suspect). I've encountered this issue several times and i view it as a safety issue.

The small amount of force needed to activate the light isn't good in my opinion. We were approaching a structure recently when the tip of my glove brushed the switching and kicked the light on to the constant on setting. This is something I've encountered several times in the past.

While the light isn't bad; it still has issues that I'm not pleased with. I plan on using the light at some upcoming training and maybe I'll discover a solution to the issues I'm having.

ra2bach
01-07-10, 21:46
how do you feel about the light pattern? I have one and I like it but the beam seems uneven and shows the effect of the lines in the reflector. also, the hotspot seems off center. is this normal?

NCPatrolAR
01-07-10, 22:57
how do you feel about the light pattern? I have one and I like it but the beam seems uneven and shows the effect of the lines in the reflector. also, the hotspot seems off center. is this normal?

While you can see the lines, it hasnt caused an issue with me at work or on the range.

ra2bach
01-10-10, 01:24
While you can see the lines, it hasnt caused an issue with me at work or on the range.

hmmm, I was hoping you'd say that was fubar and I should send it back. :(

I may still do that as it just doesn't seem like the beam should be this jacked-up on a modern handgun light, considering how good the competition is...

Lee Indy
01-10-10, 07:41
you could pull the switching unit apart and figure a wait to induce some resistance. or you could buy the one you want

NCPatrolAR
01-10-10, 11:26
you could pull the switching unit apart and figure a wait to induce some resistance. or you could buy the one you want

Not really an option with issued equipment