PDA

View Full Version : First AR purchase

sourkraut
01-07-10, 17:49
I am looking to purchase my first AR and have been looking at several. Two that I have been thinking of are the new Ruger sr556 and the Les Baer, police special.
I am posting for comments and sugestions from you guys with experience and wisdom on these guns. I am open to any make or model and would like to hear pros and cons of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Failure2Stop
01-07-10, 17:57
You need to take the time to prepare yourself with knowledge, specifically by reading all the stickies, starting here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

sourkraut
01-08-10, 16:46
Wow!! Thank you very much! That is a ton of awesome info. I really feel confident now with all of the info.

newguy
01-08-10, 19:32
I've read alot of opinons on this site personally I have had several brands of ar,s last year I built two new bushmasters I,say this because buying as parts you save money by not having to pay sales tax and Bushmaster will do gunsmthing free on parts they sell 1st one a20 in v match ,shoots 5/8 groups @ 100 yds with several brands of ammo 3x9 leupold scope , and 2nd I built a dissapator model on line thats carbine gas sys rifle site sys and with the H bar, yhm. freefloater quadrail I later added aimpoint comp m3 2moa with aimpoint 3x mag both with larue tactical mts the latter shoots 1 to 1.5 moa @ 100 yds with various ammo I think thats very good for a red dot . I added RRA 2 stage triggers to both and also kns anti walk pins to each. Both shoot just as good as my colt Hbar or better.

I hope this was helpful.

sourkraut
01-20-10, 20:15
I have been doing some homework and feel much more informed. One thing I wanted to ask you experts is about the different barrels. I was looking on the BCM site and was wondering if you guys could shed some light on there barrels. I know the obvious difference between the BFH barrel, stainless and steel. My question is about the advantage and if they are worth the higher prices than the there standard barrel. I know the corrosion factor with the stainless. But was just wondering, pros, cons and if the price is justified?