PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control

Gombey
01-08-10, 02:54
Mods, please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place. I posted this on another forum I frequent:

So as I have alluded to I am not an American. I am from a small British Colony or British overseas territory in the middle of the Atlantic. Guns were banned in Bermuda in the early 60's (I may be a little off) after the government required all guns to be registered. Well there has been a spate of shootings on the island. I didn’t post the link to them all, just one with the summary. This is just my way of saying please keep educating the people around you. Registers and gun control DO NOT WORK!!!!
http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7da133730030019&sectionId=60

francis
03-01-10, 23:18
If I may ask, how do you go shooting? I have not been to bermuda in 15 years.

I know the Falklands Islands has quite a strong shooting culture.

Gombey
03-01-10, 23:29
If I may ask, how do you go shooting? I have not been to bermuda in 15 years.

I know the Falklands Islands has quite a strong shooting culture.

Very easily......I live in the States now LOL!!!! :D

francis
03-01-10, 23:31
Very easily......I live in the States now LOL!!!! :D

Oh ok. I know the Isle of Man for one as well as the Falklands still have handguns. I didn't know Bermuda had banned firearms.

Gombey
03-01-10, 23:48
Well, I am unsure about handguns but I know you can get a permit for long guns. There are target shooters back home but it takes A LOT to get the permit and it is costly. The government even regulates the nail guns that drive nails into concrete (not sure what they are called) but yah it's pretty bad there. Everytime I go home I tripple check my bags to ensure there is not even a brass casing in there.

Kalash
03-02-10, 08:05
The government even regulates the nail guns that drive nails into concrete (not sure what they are called) but yah it's pretty bad there.
Hilti or Ramset gun.;)

Gombey
03-03-10, 18:02
Hilti or Ramset gun.;)

YESSSS!!!! Thank-you, it was killin me!! LOL!

francis
03-03-10, 22:14
I take it those are gun shops in Bermuda? I was last there in 1991 when I was eight lol

chadbag
03-04-10, 00:04
Oh ok. I know the Isle of Man for one as well as the Falklands still have handguns. I didn't know Bermuda had banned firearms.

Friend of mine is a native of the isle of man. He was recently telling me about his CZ 22 and the "moderator" he had gotten. (Moderator is a sound suppressor). The Suppressor was abut 50 quid ($80 plus or minus)...

francis
03-06-10, 12:38
Friend of mine is a native of the isle of man. He was recently telling me about his CZ 22 and the "moderator" he had gotten. (Moderator is a sound suppressor). The Suppressor was abut 50 quid ($80 plus or minus)...

very cool. they have some good stuff and very dedicated shooters in the uk. unfortunately they have had bad fortune with laws :mad:

Gene S
03-06-10, 15:31
Silencers are quite straight-forward to get and even recommended by some clubs; the certificate 'variation' (basically having your licence altered to show you can legally own a supressor) is straghtforward with no major CLEO sign-off issues or trust/LLCs to deal with either.

We'd happily trade it for at least civilian semi-auto possesion beyond .22 :D

Well, I know I would. I shouldn't presume to speak for everyone.

Edited to add: And it's not exactly the laws that gave us the problem, but that's another story.

francis
03-08-10, 00:13
Silencers are quite straight-forward to get and even recommended by some clubs; the certificate 'variation' (basically having your licence altered to show you can legally own a supressor) is straghtforward with no major CLEO sign-off issues or trust/LLCs to deal with either.

We'd happily trade it for at least civilian semi-auto possesion beyond .22 :D

Well, I know I would. I shouldn't presume to speak for everyone.

Edited to add: And it's not exactly the laws that gave us the problem, but that's another story.

Thanks so much Gene. A friend who is a former IPSC shooter and British Army major i met up with in London in 2005. Next time over I'm visiting his shooting club. Despite the laws, you guys have some crack shooters. I know SAS hero chris ryan is an avid civilian shooter in the UK still today.

Gombey
03-24-10, 14:09
Sadly, there are no gun shops in Bermuda. All the friken shootings going on you would think there were a lot of them

I didn't know civilians could shoot in the UK!!! Even more of the wackness!!! Oh well....

Gene S
03-24-10, 15:40
Yep. We even get scary looking black guns and carbines, though single shot is a lot less fun than semi-auto.

Hey, Magpul Dynamics team! Any plans for a tactical straight-pull course? :p

Safetyhit
03-24-10, 15:45
So as I have alluded to I am not an American. I am from a small British Colony or British overseas territory in the middle of the Atlantic. Guns were banned in Bermuda in the early 60's...

No offense buddy, but the biggest worry I ever had on my several trips to Bermuda was how I was going to cope with going back home to New Jersey. The people are so friggin genuinely friendly there is it almost obscene.

Love that beautiful place. :)

francis
03-30-10, 18:54
Sadly, there are no gun shops in Bermuda. All the friken shootings going on you would think there were a lot of them

I didn't know civilians could shoot in the UK!!! Even more of the wackness!!! Oh well....

There is more shooting going on in the UK now than pre ban. The stuff that is banned in the UK is as follows: Handguns, Semi automatic rifles, PUmp rifles or shotguns. In the case of shotguns, pumps are allowed if they are reduced to hold two rounds. But there is an absolute ton of shooting going on as the bans motivated people to buy firearms!

Most fun shooting i've ever done was in Australia in 2007