PDA

View Full Version : A question of ownership

Von Rheydt
01-08-10, 06:13
I am writing to ask for a bit of advice.

I am moving to the US in a few months and would like to actively pick up my interest in shooting sports again. Everyone outside seems to think that you can just arrive and buy whatever you want and wander around with it as you please. I know this is not correct, so no worries there. I had a gun shop owner tell me he would sell me stuff because he knew me, I know thats not correct either.

What I would like is the low down on a legal alien buying a firearm:

1. I read that a dealer has to have a form filled out by me and get that checked by the Police. What is on the form?

2. Do I have to live in Florida for any given time period before I can buy firearms?

3. I know about CCW's. I don't intend to wander around with a firearms anyway, I like shooting the way other people like poker or chess.

4. Can I buy a firearm privately?

Whatever I do has to be 110% legal as I eventually want to help out as a Reserve Deputy when I am a citizen.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

rob_s
01-08-10, 06:51
some of that is nonsense.

When you buy a firearm from a dealer anywhere in the US you fill out a BATFE Form 4473. It includes your name, address, social security number and asks you a series of questions about whether or not you've been convicted of any felonies, involuntarily committed to the nuthouse, etc. These are all yes/no questions and are the things that the call in background check will verify.

Once the form is filled out, the dealer will check your ID and call in the background check.

If it is a handgun you must have been a resident of the state for, IIRC, three months. You can prove this with a lease signed three months before the date of sale, three months worth of utility bills in your own name, or a state-issued ID dated 3 months prior.

Some counties like Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach have waiting periods on all guns.

I know that there are a couple of members here that are legal aliens and live in Florida. I'll try to ping one of them and see if he can post his experience.

Von Rheydt
01-08-10, 07:33
Thanks Rob. I have found the form and looked it over, it does not appear to present any problems as I will have legal status. Just a 3 month wait which, to be honest, is a fair time period to weed out the idiots.

RUSKI
01-08-10, 08:50
I am not sure about most states, but I do know some states require you to be a U.S. citizen. Several states will not issue a concealed weapons permit to non citizens and in some it is a felony to own one if you are not a citizen. There are states that do allow purchase with a Alien Firearm License. Here are some links that might help.
http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Good luck and enjoy.