PDA

View Full Version : Brenneke Special Forces Short Magnum slugs

RWK
01-08-10, 09:32
Anyone have any test data on the new Brenneke Special Forces Short Magnum slugs? http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/pdf/SpecialForcesShortMag.pdf

PA PATRIOT
01-08-10, 12:56
Might be my next deer load for shotgun only areas, strange that heavy red coating.

Vash1023
01-08-10, 14:16
Might be my next deer load for shotgun only areas, strange that heavy red coating.

maybe a special coating to extend life after penetration?

maybe a thin plastic?

Iraq Ninja
01-08-10, 14:35
maybe a special coating to extend life after penetration?

maybe a thin plastic?

According to the PDF above:

Its
special red coating reduces barrel fouling
and cleaning, too, giving the good guys yet
another break.

Glock17JHP
01-08-10, 15:08
If memory serves, I think that load is practically the same load as the Heavy Field Short Magnum, just has a red coating. I did some penetration testing, and also was able to get some data from Brenneke on several slug loads (theirs and others).

Bottom line: for LE and HD you might as well just get the Brenneke Tactical Home Defense... good anti-personel performance, and a lot less abusive recoil for the shooter. Unless you plan on hunting animals larger than a typical deer, you won't likely need the extra penetration.

If you would like, I can look for my data when at home...

RWK
01-08-10, 21:16
Bottom line: for LE and HD you might as well just get the Brenneke Tactical Home Defense... good anti-personel performance, and a lot less abusive recoil for the shooter. Unless you plan on hunting animals larger than a typical deer, you won't likely need the extra penetration.

For me, slugs are anti-vehicle, which is what piqued my curiosity about these Brenneke loads. Some of the literature from Brenneke suggests that they're designed more for that role.

If you would like, I can look for my data when at home...

Yes, I'd appreciate that.

Glock17JHP
01-09-10, 00:07
I have one picture, two 'Word' Documents and three .PDF files showing various things related to Brenneke slugs (and others, too.). 'Car door steel' simulation is in at least one item. The 'Special Forces' load appears to be essentially yhe same as the 'Heavy Field Short Magnum', but marketing shows differing uses for them. A careful comparison of all of the Brenneke loads will show about 3 loads that are ballistically the same, including slug design and weight and velocity.

At this point I will include the 'car door steel' simulation picture (the first item I mentioned having)...