PDA

View Full Version : SBR Question

GADAWG
03-22-07, 22:57
I'm thinking about getting a Colt 6921 for a work gun. If I have it shipped to my FFL, who is also a gunsmith, and he perm. attaches a phantom or extended A2 before I pick it up do I have to do the sbr paperwork? Also, what do ya'll think is better, a phantom or an extended A2? :confused:

Jon G23
03-23-07, 15:05
I'm thinking about getting a Colt 6921 for a work gun. If I have it shipped to my FFL, who is also a gunsmith, and he perm. attaches a phantom or extended A2 before I pick it up do I have to do the sbr paperwork? Also, what do ya'll think is better, a phantom or an extended A2? :confused:

My (Free) guess is YES, as the gun is already a Registered SBR!!

rob_s
03-23-07, 15:13
Yeah, I think that in order for the gun to be shipped out from private sale the manufacturer has to start paperwork to the distributor, the distributor has to do paperwork to the dealer, the dealer has to do paperwork to your dealer.....

Why not just buy the 6920 and be done with it? If you were really set on 14.5 + a phantom you could sell your 6920 upper and buy the 6921 upper (or just swap barrels) and have the FS mounted before you mate it to your 6920 lower.

nationwide
03-23-07, 18:19
When you think SBR think papertrail... also think $200 NFA Tax ;)

If you want a 16" gun, buy one. OR get the 16" gun from Colt's and get a barrel of a quality of your liking at 14.5", have the Phantom permanantly installed, and then have a smith or Armorer (since it's a work gun) install it.

You could order a Factory SBR from Colt's, have your SOT modify it to 16" barrel OAL and write the ATF requesting to have it removed from the registry, but I'm not sure they will because your SOT is not the manufacturer.

SuicideHz
03-23-07, 18:43
Papertrail as in "the Government is going to know where you live!" type of crap or just a hassle?

You can buy a 14.5" upper, have it shipped to a dealer and have the phantom pinned. Buying an upper and lower is considered an SBR and will require that "papertrail."

nationwide
03-23-07, 18:51
Papertrail as in "the Government is going to know where you live!" type of crap or just a hassle?

You can buy a 14.5" upper, have it shipped to a dealer and have the phantom pinned. Buying an upper and lower is considered an SBR and will require that "papertrail."

As in "just a hassle"...

SuicideHz
03-24-07, 02:05
I believe since you are purchasing a factory SBR and the lower is already a registered NFA item, your dealer would have to remove it from NFA status while he is permanently pinning the bbl. Does he know you want to do this?

It would have to be removed from the registry before it left it's current "residence" be it the manufacturer or C3 dealer who has it on form at the moment. Otherwise if it moves to another person, it will have to be on some sort of form and those cost money!!

I doubt that Colt stocks phantom flash suppressors but you may be able to find dealers who do permanently install muzzle devices AND stock what you are looking for.

I know Steve at AdcoFirearms is good at permanently attaching muzzle devices. If he had your Colt in stock, he'd have to go about the proper methods to have the lower removed from the NFA registry and he could at the same time permanently attach a phantom. When he is told it has successfully been removed, he can sell it to you form free.

nationwide
03-24-07, 04:41
he'd have to go about the proper methods to have the lower removed from the NFA registry

All you have to do is write the NFA branch a letter stating "I am the registered owner of (NFA item description, Manufacuturer, S/N). It has been permanantly modified to no longer be an NFA item (provide specific details) and I request it be removed from the registery. Thank you for your time."

Dealing with ATF when you start the conversation is easy! :D

striped1
03-24-07, 08:16
That to me sounds like a supreme waste of $200.00

Robb Jensen
03-24-07, 08:22

If you don't want an SBR I think you should just get a 6920. Or get a 6920 and then have it cut to 14.5" (www.ar15barrels.com) and have a Sabre Defence long A2 FS'r perm. attached.