PDA

View Full Version : Possible barrel nut alignment issue

AnimalMother556
01-08-10, 17:53
Armalite M4 upper with standard handguards, had about 1k thru it (mostly wolf, fed xm193, win Q3131A1) with no functional problems whatsoever. I noticed when mounting a newly purchased EOTech 512 that the center rib of the hanguard is canted to the left slightly. Barrel nut does not appear to be binding the gas tube, though the gap between the barrel nut teeth and the tube isn't perfectly even on both sides (it is touching or damn near touching the gas tube on one side). Should I align the barrel nut better or just leave it alone?

11Bravo
01-08-10, 18:37
If it were mine, I would see if the nut needs to be tightened a notch.
I bet with the tighten it, loosen it, 3x (or 9x) you'll get it.
This is if you have the proper tools; if not, find someone that does.

5pins
01-08-10, 22:36
A slight cant in the stranded hand guard is not unusual. I would not worry about it.

nicholst55
01-09-10, 06:14
Is the gas tube binding with the bolt carrier key? If not, you don't have a problem.

Quib
01-09-10, 07:00
Armalite M4 upper with standard handguards, had about 1k thru it (mostly wolf, fed xm193, win Q3131A1) with no functional problems whatsoever. I noticed when mounting a newly purchased EOTech 512 that the center rib of the hanguard is canted to the left slightly. Barrel nut does not appear to be binding the gas tube, though the gap between the barrel nut teeth and the tube isn't perfectly even on both sides (it is touching or damn near touching the gas tube on one side). Should I align the barrel nut better or just leave it alone?

- How much rotational play is present in the hand guards? Most weapons with std. hand guards will have rotational play to some degree.

- The gas tube not being perfectly centered between two barrel nut teeth is not exactly reason for concern. The upper receiver is designed to allow the gas tube to float during cycling. This aids in gas tube to carrier key alignment. If the gas tube is not pinched and binding to one side, but allowed to float as it should, you should be ok.

- At a minimum, I would check the gas tube for free-float, check the sides of the gas tube at the barrel nut to ensure there is no chafing present, and follow the link below and perform the “CARRIER KEY-GAS TUBE INTERFERENCE CHECK”.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1613

AnimalMother556
01-09-10, 11:26
Thanks, Quib. I followed the istructions given on your link. I put some sharpie around the mouth of the gas key, let the carrier slide home a few times and saw it was rubbing a little to one side. I removed the handguards and pushed gently on the gas tube to flex it in the direction I needed it to go. Performed the test again and could find no sign of gas tube to gas key rubbing. Really was quite simple. I've always found your posts of this nature to be informative and easy to follow. Thanks again.

Quib
01-09-10, 11:41
Glad to help. :)

AnimalMother556
01-18-10, 20:40
I assume that when I mount a railed handguard it will be canted slightly as well? I don't really have access to the tools to adjust the barrel nut and really don't want to have to make this more complicated than necessary. I'd like to put a KAC RAS on this gun and I am concerned with alignment. Is a little bit of mis-alignment normal?