PDA

View Full Version : So... 10.3" factory carbines in the near future?

Jay Cunningham
01-09-10, 11:56
I could swear I saw some pics on the 'net of factory 10.3" DD carbines. Looked pretty f'ing awesome.

:D

rob_s
01-09-10, 13:21
I've not only seen one, but handled it too. 7.0 Omega X IIRC. Lighter overall weight than I would have expected.

It was a factory SBR.

LBG375
01-09-10, 17:35
I would buy a factory MK18.

Ak44
01-09-10, 17:45
I met Patrick (who was a rep @ Ellett Bros), my buddy asked him about SBR and he said that they have them, just not on the website. Which reminds me I need to call and place my order for the MK18 RIS II rail...:cool:

Marler5811
01-12-10, 17:45
The word is out! Yes. We have made few Registered Short Barreled Rifles. One to Boresight Solutions, 2 to Virginia Arms Co., 6 to the US Marshal Service, and 4 to American Shooters in Las Vegas. We are not stocking these but will build to order. Please order through your local FFL/SOT dealer.

Voodoochild
01-13-10, 11:46
What if we just want the 10.3" barrels for our own build? I checked your site but came up empty when I clicked on the 10.3" barrel.

Josh-L
01-14-10, 02:31
Werd. I just want a barrel.

Robb Jensen
01-14-10, 05:41
I could swear I saw some pics on the 'net of factory 10.3" DD carbines. Looked pretty f'ing awesome.

:D

You probably saw them on our Facebook page dude:

Here's what the badass Daniel Defense 10" SBRs look like. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/DD10inchSBR2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/DD10inchSBR.jpg

What if we just want the 10.3" barrels for our own build? I checked your site but came up empty when I clicked on the 10.3" barrel.

Voodoo we've had those barrels before and can order more. Very nice barrels BTW.

CoryCop25
01-14-10, 05:44
+1 for the barrel.

Jay Cunningham
01-14-10, 07:45
Those are fine specimens.

Marler5811
01-14-10, 07:50

Stripped 10.3" barrels are available on the website now. Are you looking for barrel with an FSB attached? We can and will be doing that on a regular basis. Just let us know what you are looking for.

rob_s
01-14-10, 07:53
Stripped 10.3" barrels are available on the website now. Are you looking for barrel with an FSB attached? We can and will be doing that on a regular basis. Just let us know what you are looking for.

For what it's worth, when I click the 10.3" barrel link (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=coldhammerforgedbarrels_10.3inch%28cqb%29coldhammerforgedbarrels) I get

Browsing:

There are currently no products being offered in this category

ginarik
01-14-10, 07:57
Searching for the 10.3" barrel on the D.D. site worked for me. Try this link.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=157

Check out my sig for my 10.3" D.D. barrel build :)

Voodoochild
01-14-10, 11:12
Rob that is a sick looking rifle. If only I weren't in Liberia I would be in the shop buying one and a can to match.

Robb Jensen
01-14-10, 14:07
Robb that is a sick looking rifle. If only I weren't in Liberia I would be in the shop buying one and a can to match.

We have one left!

I'm hoping in the future to stock a factory DD SBR 10.3" Mk 18 rail, low pro pinned gas block with a Magpul ACS stock and MOE grip and DD sights. I think would be the cats ass.

Voodoochild
01-15-10, 09:57
That would be a winning combo my friend.

PlatoCATM
01-23-10, 16:18
Is it unheard of to buy a factory SBR lower? I don't want to screw with sending it to some place to be engraved and then losing the anodizing. I've been waiting for DD to release the factory SBRs, but I'm not sold on the 10.3" barrel.

rob_s
01-23-10, 16:32
I always thought the lower-only SBR was walking a thin line with the BATFE, and I read an email that someone reposted on another forum from Spike's Tactical that the BATFE had cracked down on this.

LBG375
01-23-10, 16:45
Don't you have to list the barrel length and full length of the SBR on a form 1? If you just have the lower, then how can the gun be registered as an sbr? I think that I'm going to have one made to order by DD.

PlatoCATM
01-24-10, 12:47
Thanks, Rob. I definitely want to stay within legal bounds with this. I thought I had seen a lower for sale that was a factory registered SBR but I can't remember where or what manufacturer.

I would think for the purposes of the Form 1 I could simply list the intended barrel length and the OAL, just as people do who have Form 1s processed for custom engraved lowers.

Joe, what is DDs policy on this?

Robb Jensen
01-24-10, 13:37
I always thought the lower-only SBR was walking a thin line with the BATFE, and I read an email that someone reposted on another forum from Spike's Tactical that the BATFE had cracked down on this.

It's not impossible.

Licensed manufacturers like Daniel Defense don't use Form 1 like non licensed manufacturers would, they use a Form 2 (notice of firearms manufactured or imported).
Once it's in the NFA registry I don't see why they couldn't just write a formal letter to the NFA branch and notify NFA branch that the lower will also be used with for example a 5.5", 7.5", 8.5", 9.5", 10.3", 10.5" 11.5", 12.5" and 14.5" barrels. Then transfer the lower to a NFA dealer on Form 3, dealer then transfers it to buyer on a Form 4.

Stickman
01-24-10, 13:43
The word is out! Yes. We have made few Registered Short Barreled Rifles. One to Boresight Solutions, 2 to Virginia Arms Co., 6 to the US Marshal Service, and 4 to American Shooters in Las Vegas. We are not stocking these but will build to order. Please order through your local FFL/SOT dealer.

Good talking with you at the show, did you have any of these out on display?

Marler5811
01-25-10, 09:45
Good talking with you at the show, did you have any of these out on display?

Stick,

Good to see you as well. I really appreciate you stopping by and checking out the new products. We didn't have any SBRs are the show. I didn't have a chance to get any rifles built on a Form 2 and I didn't want to take any chances. I'll make sure I have some for the next show.

RyanS
01-25-10, 15:25
A little off topic, in so far as barrel length is concerned, but are the 16" midlength barrel assemblies available yet? I'm looking to "upgrade" my DDM4.

Marler5811
01-26-10, 07:26
A little off topic, in so far as barrel length is concerned, but are the 16" midlength barrel assemblies available yet? I'm looking to "upgrade" my DDM4.

We have run two or three batches of these already. I don't have any in stock here, but you should be able to find one somewhere.

RyanS
01-26-10, 08:53
Excellent. I will nose around a bit.

parishioner
01-27-10, 23:38
So about how much are these built to order DD 10.3" carbines? I would assume close to what a DDM4v2 goes for.

rob_s
01-28-10, 04:51
Something that maybe doesn't need asking, but CHF barrels on these?

I know that the interweb is all aflutter with CHF these days, but does anyone have an idea of a ballpark percentage of added barrel life? On a 16" barrel I haven't really bought into all the CHF hype (especially at the premium price some are charging) but when looking at a 10.3" barrel and figuring the barrel life is pretty short it may be worth it. Although, I guess CHF isn't going to do anything to reduce gas port erosion, so maybe it isn't as important as I'm thinking.

Marler5811
01-28-10, 11:01
So about how much are these built to order DD 10.3" carbines? I would assume close to what a DDM4v2 goes for.

A factory registered DDM4v2 short barreled rifle will retail for $1637. These will have our Cold Hammer Forged Barrels.

parishioner
02-06-10, 20:59
A factory registered DDM4v2 short barreled rifle will retail for $1637. These will have our Cold Hammer Forged Barrels.

Thanks. That's competitive.

Endless
02-15-10, 11:20
I wish I would have known these shorter versions were out. I wouldnt have bought the DDM4v2. How much extra we looking at making the DDM4 that I have look like this? Barrel wise?

Thanks.

Rated21R
02-15-10, 11:44
We have one left!

I'm hoping in the future to stock a factory DD SBR 10.3" Mk 18 rail, low pro pinned gas block with a Magpul ACS stock and MOE grip and DD sights. I think would be the cats ass.

if this happens, i want one. :D

usmcvet
03-20-10, 19:55
Is it unheard of to buy a factory SBR lower? I don't want to screw with sending it to some place to be engraved and then losing the anodizing. I've been waiting for DD to release the factory SBRs, but I'm not sold on the 10.3" barrel.

I have my name on a list with Grant for a Factory BCM SBR lower, they should be ready soon. I planned to SBR a BCM lower for the 11.5" BCM upper I have, then I found out about the factory option and decided that was the way I wanted to go.:D Then I saw the LMT 10 SBR and bought one. I liked the idea of not having to engrave the lower too.

What would the concern be with just the lower? I called and spoke with ATF about an M16 full auto. I called because the paperwork required the bbl length and overall length. It was a full size M16-A1, it now sports a carbine stock and 10.5" upper. In this case I was told it did not matter because it was a machine gun.

I know common sense can be rare but I would think all they really care about is the bbl, is less than 16". That being said if any one has better information please share with us.

My SBR has a 10.5" bbl, I doubth it will ever have anything else on it, if any thing a longer upper, not shorter.

By the way the DD SBR is a great deal. Just picked up my LMT 10.5" SBR yesterday!

thanks for the input!

rob_s
03-21-10, 04:14
usmcvet, I'm not a lawyer, and clearly not an ATF agent, so I'll just say that it is my opinion and how I choose to govern myself. I certainly understand the attraction of buying an SBR lower without an upper, and if other folks want to do it that's their business. I personally think it's asking for trouble so I don't/won't do it.

usmcvet
03-21-10, 06:37
usmcvet, I'm not a lawyer, and clearly not an ATF agent, so I'll just say that it is my opinion and how I choose to govern myself. I certainly understand the attraction of buying an SBR lower without an upper, and if other folks want to do it that's their business. I personally think it's asking for trouble so I don't/won't do it.

Rob,

Thanks for clarifying you position. I thought there was something specific I'd missed.

I think folks are concerned with changing bbl length from what it is registered as. I have a Remington 870 that came with a 21" turkey bbl. It now sports a 20" rifled bbl, I have a 28" bbl and the original 21" bbl in the safe. I doubt ATF cares unless I go below the 18" bbl length. I also have owned hunting rifles that have had bbl work done one went from a 20" to and 16.1" bbl, again I did not worry about that either.

This seems like the concern over full auto BCG's in a semi-auto AR. I've seen a letter from ATF explaining it is okay but have been told by a local Class 3 dealer it is a no go. I have BCM's FA BCG's in both of my AR's. I was skeptical until I pulled 3 Colt carbines off the shelf and saw they all had the FA carrier.

rob_s
03-21-10, 06:43
I emailed my attorney on the subject out of curiosity. He's also my CIII dealer. :D

FWIW, my SBRs are all factory guns, not lowers I registered. I'm not as concerned with swapping out uppers after the fact, although I do make it a habit to put them back in the safe with the upper they came with, as I am with the initial purchase/registration.

I'll see what the attorney says, and maybe ask him to post here. I believe he's posted here in the past.

usmcvet
03-21-10, 07:57
I emailed my attorney on the subject out of curiosity. He's also my CIII dealer. :D

FWIW, my SBRs are all factory guns, not lowers I registered. I'm not as concerned with swapping out uppers after the fact, although I do make it a habit to put them back in the safe with the upper they came with, as I am with the initial purchase/registration.

I'll see what the attorney says, and maybe ask him to post here. I believe he's posted here in the past.

Thanks Rob. That's a good combination atty & Class 3!

rob_s
03-23-10, 09:32
Attorney says he is not aware of anything in the regs on this. He said there were many receivers transferred prior to the '86 ban as stripped, FA receivers, so he doesn't see a problem with doing SBR receivers only.

I'm still not totally comfortable with it personally, but he doesn't see anything wrong with it. Fortunately it's not something I've had to deal with myself as the guns I've wanted as SBRs came pretty much exactly as I wanted them.

usmcvet
03-23-10, 10:16
Thanks for the update Rob, I appreciate it. Now if BCM will just get that SBR lower to Grant so I can start the wait for the lonely BCM 11.5 upper to join its mate! I planned to SBR a Lower but found out I could buy one already set up and save a few steps.

The LMT 10 SBR I bought was an incredible deal $1156 for a complete gun with high quality accessories. All you need to add is the ammo!

edit: I should add that the DD 10" Factory SBR is a great deal too and it looks lit she includes a rail and VFG too. I did ot know they were an option when I bought my LMT I would have considered the DD.

thebob24
03-24-10, 18:16
Sorry, I have no experience with SBR's. Could someone clarify something for me? What is the difference between a complete factory SBR and registering your own lower? If I purchased a complete factory SBR could I later change the upper (possibly permanently)? Would there be problem with selling the upper it came with? Thanks for any help.

Bolt_Overide
03-24-10, 18:54
We have one left!

retail on that? Disregard, found it after I read the rest of the thread.

JLM
04-17-10, 04:28
Joe,

Looks like a fine SBR.

How about doing a 9.5 FSP version of the Omega-X rail man?