PDA

View Full Version : SUV Help: 4Runner or Pathfinder?

tusk212
01-09-10, 13:00
I've come to the realization that living in PA I need a vehicle with 4wd. Ive been looking at both the 4Runners and Pathfinders. Right now I am leaning towards a 4Runner but both are still in the running. Im looking at the 2004 or newer models in both flavors. Whats your take on these rigs? Which would you choose and why?

Gutshot John
01-09-10, 13:07
Aren't you just loving the snow? I haven't seen a Western PA winter like this since I was a kid.

My friend had a 1969 4Runner which was a classic 4wd.

For sentimental reasons the 4Runner is my choice and is actually going to be our next vehicle (we just paid off our other and my wife doesn't want a payment for a while) but I think you'd be very hard pressed to find a more ubiquitous and reliable 4wd.

Nissan makes very nice SUVs so it would also be a good choice.

If you're looking for a city car especially a Subaru Impreza type is awesome. We just paid off a 9-2x which was the Saab equivalent and it's been a fantastic car and a lot of fun to drive. It goes through Pittsburgh snow like butter. It even has decent ground clearance and handles pretty well off-road but I've not taken it seriously overland. The upside is you can park it anywhere.

tusk212
01-09-10, 13:12
John, The snows getting old. I travel around 95 miles round trip 4 days a week over Cresson mountain (gets pretty hairy). It has snowed everyday last week. My Dodge Stealth is no longer getting it done and getting up there in miles. Ive had to hijack my wifes Rav4 for all last week and she is not real happy about it so its time to make a change.

Gutshot John
01-09-10, 13:17
I travel around 95 miles round trip 4 days a week over Cresson mountain (gets pretty hairy).

I know exactly the road you're talking about. Driven it many times myself and its no fun in this weather. A 4Runner would be a great vehicle for that stretch of road.

I don't think you'll regret either choice so I suppose much of the choice is determined by the deal you can get.

rob_s
01-09-10, 13:19
The 4runner model just changed for 2010, so you might find deals in the previous gen.

Irish
01-09-10, 13:30
I would suggest posting this question in the Gearheads thread. Lots of people subscribe to that and you will get a wealth of information. Have a good weekend.

tusk212
01-09-10, 13:30
Forgot to mention. Im looking strictly at buying used.

Gutshot John
01-09-10, 13:38
Forgot to mention. Im looking strictly at buying used.

I've ridden in a lot of used 4runners with hundreds of thousands of miles.

I have no idea of the cost involved in maintaining it over that period only that I see it in 4runners more than any other SUV.

The Tacoma is essentially a 4runner so you might get a better deal there.

thorm001
01-09-10, 13:41
I drive an Xterra. It is a lot less fancy than the Pathfinder.
Between a Pathfinder and 4runner, I'd get the 4runner.
I guess I was swayed by this article about the 2010 edition
http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0912_2010_toyota_4runner_review_rubicon_trail/index.html

skyugo
01-09-10, 13:42
4runner for sure... toyota trucks are world class... nissan is uh.. meh.

i'm gonna pick up an 80's runner shortly. :cool:

sjc3081
01-09-10, 13:44
Studded snow tires will turn your 2wd sedan into a tank. You put them on the winter and take them off in the spring and still get the good gas mileage of a auto as compared to a truck.

LOKNLOD
01-09-10, 13:59
I would generally recommend the 4runner over the Pathfinder.

They're pretty much equivalent in function, and if either one really floats your boat over the other, I wouldn't try to convince you otherwise. Both Toyota and Nissan build a nice, reliable ride, and on paper they're very similar, but across the board my experience when comparing Toyota and Nissan models at a deeper level than just a test drive has favored Toyota.

Resell is usually better on the Toyotas, though that can be offset by the Nissan costing less when new. If you want to buy used and drive out all the remaining life of the vehicle anyway, then this may be an advantage to the Nissan. The design and construction on the Toyotas usually lends itself to easier maintenance, with everything laid out better for the guy doing the work. I've worked on some Nissans where you could hardly access simple things like the oil filter.

Either way, both will last a long time and serve you well, but I do think the Toyota has a bit of an edge. Just my opinion and experiences though, I'm sure some might feel the opposite.

orionz06
01-09-10, 14:12
I havent worked at a garage in about 3 years, but the pathfinders I have worked on were generally more of a PITA than they needed to be.

HD1911
01-09-10, 15:43
4 Runner....hands down.

DTHN2LGS
01-09-10, 15:51
I live in Wisconsin and have an old Chevy full-size 4X4 now. My next truck will be a Tacoma, so I would vote for the 4Runner.

Iraqgunz
01-09-10, 16:12
I have a 2006 SR5 4 Runner V-8 and it's an excellent vehicle. It may not be a 4 wheel vehicle, but it drives and handles great.

Ak44
01-09-10, 16:19
Can't go wrong with a Yota

sadmin
01-09-10, 16:31
I bough a 09 4runner for the expecting wife in August, its been the best car purchase ive made. It rides like a car, and is comfortable to sit in for 3+ hour trips. We test drove the 4runner, volvo suv, and tahoe, and the 4runner was hands down the tightest to us.

Mjolnir
01-09-10, 17:04
I'd recommend the TOYOTA over the Nissan. Outstanding reputation for reliability, decent performance and huge aftermarket support if that means anything to you.

ToddG
01-09-10, 17:19
While my current and most previous cars are/were Nissan (Infiniti G35x's), before that I had a 2004 4Runner AWD V8 that was excellent. The 4Runners are truly built for off-road driving.

An Undocumented Worker
01-09-10, 17:57
If all you are doing is commuting to work with it, get a subaru with snow tires for the winter. Any of em. Plus it'll be cheaper on gas.

tusk212
01-09-10, 18:17
If all you are doing is commuting to work with it, get a subaru with snow tires for the winter. Any of em. Plus it'll be cheaper on gas.

In the next month I will no longer have that commute. I will need a vehicle that I can count on to get me to work no matter what. I cant call off just because the weather is crappy.

Ak44
01-09-10, 18:23
My buddy has a 4runner with 100,000+ miles with no probs. My brother has a Nissan Pathfinder Armada with around 80,000 miles with a few problems here or there but still an overall good truck. I don't think you can't go wrong but since I drive a Tundra I would say go with the Yota hahaha

HwyKnight
01-09-10, 18:30
I own a '09 Toyota Sequoia that I bought in the fall of '08. While I love the truck and it is performing flawlessly, the current political climate has sent my patriotic streak into overdrive. To this I would say buy something that says FORD on it. We just traded our BMW M3 in a few months ago on a Fusion Sport AWD, and couldn't be more pleased. It runs great in the snow, and lowered my car payments.

rob_s
01-09-10, 18:34
FORD Fusion Sport AWD

Patriotic streak or no, that car gets worse gas mileage and is SLOWER than an AWD V6 Rav4. What does it have going for it besides being slower, costing more, spending more on gas, and the ability to carry less cargo?

Ak44
01-09-10, 18:35
I own a '09 Toyota Sequoia that I bought in the fall of '08. While I love the truck and it is performing flawlessly, the current political climate has sent my patriotic streak into overdrive. To this I would say buy something that says FORD on it. We just traded our BMW M3 in a few months ago on a Fusion Sport AWD, and couldn't be more pleased. It runs great in the snow, and lowered my car payments.

What are your feelings on my Tundra then? The Truck was assembled in Houston Texas yet the Corp HQ is located in Japan?

GMZ
01-09-10, 18:38
The 4runner model just changed for 2010, so you might find deals in the previous gen.

There were so few 09s made that I would not count on finding an 09. I think the 4Runner was the 4th worst seller of 2009. Linky (http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/smart-spending/autos/2009-s-best-worst-selling-cars)

Im on my second 4th Gen 4Runner after a short hiatus with a 370Z. Before I got my first one I drove the 4Runner, Xterra, Pathfinder, JGC, Durango, and several pick up trucks to include the Tacoma. 4Runner was the best hands down. It offers much more than the others that I drove in an awesome package. I like the Sport Edition package because it has some additional useful options (heated mirrors and side glass) without going over the top with a Limited w/leather, nav, etc.

It has what I think is the most versatile 4wd system out there, it has a center differential vice transfer case so you can drive in 4HI/4LO on dry pavement like an AWD with the center diff unlocked. You can lock the center diff and use it like a normal part time 4wd system off road in 4HI/4LO. The V8 (which is what I have now) is full time 4WD and very smooth.

I had a V6 before in an otherwise identical vehicle and prefer the V8. The 2UZ-FE engine is one of the best, most reliable, and longest lasting engines out there. The older Tundras had this same family of engine and they are reliable as hell. The 4Runner is a cut above because they are made in the Tihara Lexus factory which is Toyotas premier installation. The V6 1GR-FE is an awesome engine also, it has a top mounted oil filter that makes oil changes literally 10 minutes and jackstand-less.

Here (http://www.toyota-4runner.org/) is a 4Runner forum I am a member of, it has a ton of useful info. I think the best 4th Gen made (and also the most rare) is the 09 Trail Edition. It has a rear locker in addition to everything else, but finding one is damn near impossible.

ETA: As for a specific year I would go with an 06 or newer. There were a number of refinements, most notably being projector headlights. They are halogens but still better than reflector housings. I have a wicked HID in mine thats awesome. Also there were certain power/drivetrain changes that were IIRC made in the subsequent mid cycle refresh.

.30kal
01-09-10, 18:40
Have a 2004 Sport Edition 4Runner that has been great. If you are looking for used, try to find a 2006-2008. The Urban Runner trim level is nice.

Urabus23
01-09-10, 18:48
I don't have much experience with snow being in Hawaii but have you given the Subaru Forester any thought? I've had two Subaru's and I've never had any major problems with them in 12 years. I drive my cars hard and do a few track days and auto-x's.
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6007/rooffp.jpg

Not my car, but the redesign is larger than the old ones.

Mjolnir
01-09-10, 21:19
Oh dear! I worked for 15 yrs at Ford. All of it in R&D I have benchmarked five BMW 3 series sedans and I would not hesitate to purchase one. Fusion Sport AWD *MAY* be a nice car - the brakes, the trans, the driveline are suspect but we know the Bimmer is. You're certainly thinking properly (reducing car payments). But I'd take a RAV4 V6 AWD over your selection. I'd take a Toyota FJ400 or any of the TRD pickups over the Fusion - not to mention a nice Audi sports sedan (okay, okay, I'm a hopeless car enthusiast, okay? Forgive me. :p ). Subaru would be an awesome choice, too.

Why Ford over say, GM? Certainly not because Ford didn't accept Fed monies. They did not because they procured a loan one year earlier in which ALL OF FORD MOTOR COMPANY, INCLUDING THE LOGO was used as collateral. That's when I chose to take a buy out. And, no, nothing was mentioned in the press from what I recall.

HwyKnight
01-09-10, 21:47
What are your feelings on my Tundra then? The Truck was assembled in Houston Texas yet the Corp HQ is located in Japan?

Here's what really ticked me off, after I closed the deal I discovered the car was assembled in MEXICO! BOY DID THAT TICK ME OFF! :mad:, but it was my fault for not paying closer attention. However, it is still a great car, and it just won Motor Trends COTY award. At least some of the bucks will make it home, but I do wish it was built here. My GF wanted a larger car, the Tarus SHO was too expensive / large, and the Focus was too small. I tried to talk her into a Mustang but she wanted the AWD, and we already had an SUV, that left the Fusion.

I'm pretty sure that my Sequoia is built in Houston as well since it is built on the same platform. Although 'buying American' wasn't an issue at the time of purchase. If I had to do it all over again I'd still buy the Fusion (it really is that nice, and the sync system kicks butt), and the SUV would say FORD on it. At the time that I bought the SUV gas prices were high, so it was a great deal, and the car companies hadn't fallen on their face yet. I got the years wrong the SUV is an '08 bought in fall '07. Ford hasn't caught up to Toyota quality yet, but they are much better than they used to be.

Sun195
01-09-10, 21:50
I've had an '09 4Runner SR5 4WD for the past six months & 10k miles. I like the 4WD system as the center diff lets you drive on all types of surfaces. However, it can be finicky about switching between 2WD/4WD at times. Ride quality is excellent on- and off-pavement. I've taken it on a couple of 1-2K mile road trips. My off-road experiences have been mostly unimproved dirt/rock roads & heavy-washboard gravel (60 miles and 30 miles). Brakes are excellent. Stability-control/etc. seems to work well.

I'm not crazy about the seats (but I'm picky about those) and there can be a problem with manual seats where they get loose/squeak (mine are starting to do this). The cup holders are terrible. Otherwise, build quality seems excellent so far - solid "thunk" when you close the doors. Nothing loose or squeaky. The 4.0L V-6 engine is adequate for most of what I do; I think the V8 would be outstanding in this rig. It's my understanding these are built on the "Prado" frame (rather than being a Tacoma derivative) which is like a mini-Landcruiser anywhere else in the world.

I test-drove one of the Pathfinders & liked it. If you need third-row seating, the Pathfinder is the way to go as the 4Runner's option is kind of clunky & uses up a bunch of cargo area. I might have gone with a Pathfinder but they just didn't make many of them last year & it was hard to find one.

Like others have mentioned, you might also want to consider a Subaru for your needs. I've had two Outbacks & they do excellent in the snow/rain/whatever. They are more than adequate for gravel roads & getting to a trailhead. It's easier to pilot around the city - however, the 4Runner is quieter on the highway & has a slightly better ride quality (surprising). Better gas mileage on the Subaru by maybe 8-9 miles/gallon. With the seats folded down, you can get an amazing amount of "stuff" jammed into one. To be honest, if the weather got real bad, I'd probably choose our Outback over the 4Runner - probably just because of familiarity/experience with them, but they do preform well in bad weather.

NinjaMedic
01-09-10, 21:59
Dude with the introduction of the new LR4's everyone is dumping their LR3's and you can get a smoking deal on one. My 2005 LR3 is the best SUV I have ever owned I got mine in '07 with 30,000 miles for 27K out the door from the Land Rover dealer. You can do a heck of a lot better than that buying it from a individual. Look at craigslist in your area, you might be surprised.

Full time 4x4, locking differentials, definitely luxury interior and electronics, sunroofs X3, air suspension, TIGHTER TURNING RADIUS THAN A LOT OF CARS I have owned, you can park it anywhere. Unmatched off road capabilities compared to regular SUV's including FJ cruisers, xterrra's, H2's etc

This is ours, best SUV ever hands down.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h68/tacmedic4450/2005LR3005.jpg

Oh and even the rear seats are heated, never thought that was a big deal in central Texas but it was 7 degrees this morning. I bought it because I couldn't afford a (then) new Suburban.

HwyKnight
01-09-10, 22:07
Oh dear! I worked for 15 yrs at Ford. All of it in R&D I have benchmarked five BMW 3 series sedans and I would not hesitate to purchase one. Fusion Sport AWD *MAY* be a nice car - the brakes, the trans, the driveline are suspect but we know the Bimmer is. You're certainly thinking properly (reducing car payments). But I'd take a RAV4 V6 AWD over your selection. I'd take a Toyota FJ400 or any of the TRD pickups over the Fusion - not to mention a nice Audi sports sedan (okay, okay, I'm a hopeless car enthusiast, okay? Forgive me. :p ). Subaru would be an awesome choice, too.

Why Ford over say, GM? Certainly not because Ford didn't accept Fed monies. They did not because they procured a loan one year earlier in which ALL OF FORD MOTOR COMPANY, INCLUDING THE LOGO was used as collateral. That's when I chose to take a buy out. And, no, nothing was mentioned in the press from what I recall.

Don't get me wrong there brother. There WILL be another M3, M5, S4, or S5 in my garage one day. I'm doomed to finding a second career when I retire due to my love of cars in this category. In no way shape or form does a Fusion compare to any of the above, and I already have a top line SUV. Although I will give credit where credit is due the SYNC system blows BMW's I-Drive out of the water. We've got kids going into college, it's what the girlfriend wanted, and it's time to cut back.

I'm aware of Ford's financial position, and I am glad they didn't take any FED money. I'm hopeful that it works out for them, because while certainly risky, they did it right.

2risky
01-09-10, 22:08
I owned a Pathfinder, for a year. I've owned a Tacoma 4x4 for the last 3 years. Go with the Toyota.

Oscar 319
01-09-10, 22:16
I believe my 2007 Tacoma is the best thing since sliced bread. My dad argues his 2005 4runner is.

I continually nag my wife to make her next vehicle a 4runner.

After seeing the 2010 4runner Trail package....holy shit. I want one.

You will not be disappointed with a 4runner.

SHIVAN
01-09-10, 22:19
Wife and I test drove a Pathfinder in 2006. I wasn't impressed, neither was she. She ended up with an Acura MDX.

Mjolnir
01-09-10, 22:22
Don't get me wrong there brother. There WILL be another M3, M5, S4, or S5 in my garage one day. I'm doomed to finding a second career when I retire due to my love of cars in this category. In no way shape or form does a Fusion compare to any of the above, and I already have a top line SUV. Although I will give credit where credit is due the SYNC system blows BMW's I-Drive out of the water. We've got kids going into college, it's what the girlfriend wanted, and it's time to cut back.

I'm aware of Ford's financial position, and I am glad they didn't take any FED money. I'm hopeful that it works out for them, because while certainly risky, they did it right.
I understand. And agree. Except Ford did NOT do it right. That I know firsthand. Like many large corporations (and many people, I guess) they respond to authority and not truth. Hell, they didn't recognize truth. I have a document I could e-mail you for details. It's pretty sad.

NINJAMEDIC: Rovers are not known for reliability. You may have gotten a decent one but for the most part they aren't that good, unfortunately. It's a vehicle I wish I was reliable as I like that type of vehicle. I wonder whose engine they are using now?

rob_s
01-09-10, 22:24
Wife and I test drove a Pathfinder in 2006. I wasn't impressed, neither was she. She ended up with an Acura MDX.

I really, really like the '07 and up MDX.

rob_s
01-09-10, 22:25
NINJAMEDIC: Rovers are not known for reliability. You may have gotten a decent one but for the most part they aren't that good, unfortunately. It's a vehicle I wish I was reliable as I like that type of vehicle. I wonder whose engine they are using now?

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Land-Rover_LR3/Reliability/

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2005-to-2009-land-rover-lr3-2.htm
(unfortunately this same site gives my Escalade a 58 :( )

http://ask.cars.com/2008/01/land-rover-depe.html

NinjaMedic
01-09-10, 22:28
Not sure about the new LR4's but mine is a 4.4?L V8 from Jaguar when everything was under the Ford umbrella. I was aware of their reputation but so far have had no issues.

HwyKnight
01-09-10, 22:28
I understand. And agree. Except Ford did NOT do it right. That I know firsthand. Like many large corporations (and many people, I guess) they respond to authority and not truth. Hell, they didn't recognize truth. I have a document I could e-mail you for details. It's pretty sad.

Dude, my brain hurts from trying to follow all the political BS. Spare me the e-mail what's the short version?

ST911
01-09-10, 22:53
Re: Xterras- I spent quite a bit of time in a borrowed one last year. Reasonably roomy and comfortable while commuting. Handled decently off road in the back woods.

Re: Pathfinders- Riding in one belonging to a friend from time to time, I'm left with a hearty "meh". Nothing special, for better or worse it seems.

Re: Subarus- Good reliable cars, my mechanic loves them. 4WD is useful. They remain low to the ground, so if you get a lot of drifting or accumulation, that 4WD will take you straight into being high-centered. They do have better clearance than many other cars though. The interiors are small, cramped, and uncomfortable for knuckledraggers.

Re: Forerunners- My experience with one is dated, but entirely positive.

Re: Grand Cherokee- Reasonably roomy, comfortable, with Jeep reliability. High on my list, if looking.

My daily driver and fun ride are jeeps (XJ, TJ). I don't know what a smooth ride is nor do I value it. Will probably be buying a Wrangler Unlimited this year.

M4Fundi
01-10-10, 00:16
4Runner best rig I've owned CONUS. I have one with 246,000 on it. I do like full size American trucks, but nothing lasts like a Toyota.

Impact
01-10-10, 00:25
I love my V8 4x4 Pathy !

condition 1
01-10-10, 09:27
4 Runner, for sure !!! 08 4WD Owner Here, Don't even look at anything else, Trust me on this one.

d90king
01-10-10, 09:54

Neither were Jags, Buicks, Caddy's, Grand Marquis and a lot of others back in the stone age.... Now they are on top of many list, while Toyota has suffered the biggest year off recalls in their history... Remember advertising dollars sway many of the lists...

After 2003 Rovers have come a long way and are pretty damn reliable. It started when BMW got rid of the 1950's block that Rover used for everrrrrrr. They can be expensive to maintain, but I think the benefits out way the cost IMHO.

The new 4Runner looks very promising with the higher output motor ( I wish they had taken it to a small 8 w/ 300 hp but with 2013 CAFE it was probably for the average)... They are also are very capable (Toyota) off road...

Mjolnir
01-10-10, 15:48
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Land-Rover_LR3/Reliability/

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2005-to-2009-land-rover-lr3-2.htm
(unfortunately this same site gives my Escalade a 58 :( )

http://ask.cars.com/2008/01/land-rover-depe.html

Keep in mind that JD Powers Initial Quality Survey is for the first 3 months in service only.

One of my issues at FoMoCo was that we/they pushed this metric as if it were the end all metric. Not so. When I was at GM I saw one year, two year and even five year in service data. NO ONE speaks of those surveys. I'm sure most numbers for all manufacturers would be low for 5 yrs in service or at least lower than their 3 months in service data.

Oh, by the way, the reason for the extended oil serivces? You guessed it. It artificially inflates the 3 month in service data. People (myself included) will let them know what else is wrong when you bring the vehicle in for service. Well, if I don't bring the vehicle in for 8,000 miles I'm now used to the brakes that squeal just a bit when cold or the engine that has a rough period during the idle cycle when cold or the windshield wiper blades that squeak on occassion. I've worked diligently trying to find correlates with respect to Vehicle Sound Quality and have assisted others with other NVH-related surveys and it's interesting and boring at the same time.

The data above is not my "made up" conclusions but were told to me by persons in the company who were in a position to know - and it's industry-wide so you cannot "blame Ford" for it.

But back to the Land Rover: I've come very close on two occasions but speaking with LR engineers in the UK turned me off of them. I personally believe that there is a difference between reliability and durability. They may be durable (i.e., the basic vehicle will last in good shape for a while) but the component failures (and the associated costs) are unreasonable (compared to the industry standard, Toyota). Now Toyo has had some issues since their goal to produce the most vehicles in the world has gathered steam. I dunno why the huge pride in that verus the highest reputation for reliability but, hey, I aint Nipponese.

On a positive note, perhaps the FJ400 is doing okay. I'm quietly watching how that one is playing out. I like it on paper - kinda cramped in the rear. Hopefully, it's as durable as it looks and as reliable as Toyota's reputation for same.

Cobra66
01-10-10, 15:59
I have a 2005 SR5 4Runner and love it! It has great off road capabilities (its only real limitations are due to ground clearance and angles) and is more than enough for getting around on snowy roads. They are one of the few light-truck SUVs that are still built with off-roading in mind (although as of late, Toyota has been placing its off road emphasis on the FJ Cruiser). I've done a fair amount of off roading with it and only gotten it stuck once (I high centered on a snow drift). Size wise it is about perfect, big enough to seat 4 and their gear very comfortably (5 if you have kids), but not a lumbering giant like the Sequoia or Tahoe are. I have the V-6 which really has plenty of power, I'd only spend the money on a V-8 if you intended heavy towing. Gas mileage with the V-6 is about 21-23 mpg on the highway (but I have a Yakima roof basket that gives me about a 1-2 mpg hit). Toyota trucks are known to live forever with minimal maintenance and I fully expect to have mine for 300,000 miles. If you don't intend on driving it into the ground like I do, 4Runners retain their resale values very well.

I can't say much about the Pathfinder, I looked at them a little when I bought my Runner and frankly from my POV considered them completely outclassed by the 4Runner.

lebowski
01-10-10, 16:17
4runner all the way, it's a great all around vehicle and the clear choice in a mid sized body on frame suv, IMO.

My brother has a '99 sr5 with ~200k miles, my dad has an '05 limited with >100k miles and both have been bullet proof. I picked up a '10 limited 4x4 a month ago and I love it so far, tho I prefer the appearance of the older generations.

I really liked some of the older pathfinders, but not the current ones. They look huge on the outside but don't feel big on the inside. I also don't think Nissan matches Toyota for overall quality or reliability.

gtriever
01-10-10, 16:39
I'm gonna be the turd in the punchbowl... Ford Explorer. We run a fleet of 20 '07 models (plus I own one myself) and, aside from the one that was driven off into a river :rolleyes:, the only things besides routine maintenance have been (1) shifter relay repair (in the first six months of life) and (1) broken fan belt. BTW, we run'em offroad a lot, maintaining remote communications sites on mountain tops and the like.

DacoRoman
01-10-10, 18:48
After seeing this video, I want one:

5th Gen. 4Runner on the Rubicon trail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-NheyAIR6I)

It might not have the ultimate off road capability as the FJ cruiser, but it looks darn close, plus it seems like a much more practical automobile, albeit significantly more 'spensive

Cobra66
01-10-10, 18:58
After seeing this video, I want one:

5th Gen. 4Runner on the Rubicon trail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-NheyAIR6I)

It might not have the ultimate off road capability as the FJ cruiser, but it looks darn close, plus it seems like a much more practical automobile, albeit significantly more 'spensive

Sweet video, but the sad reality is that 99% of the ones sold here in Kalifornia will be driven by 5' Asian women who will never take them on a dirt road let alone off road. :(

DacoRoman
01-10-10, 19:24
Sweet video, but the sad reality is that 99% of the ones sold here in Kalifornia will be driven by 5' Asian women who will never take them on a dirt road let alone off road. :(

:D

you know, I thought the same thing when I was watching that..

but I'm counting on a lovely and well behaved Asian female driver that will lease one of those for two years, so then I could buy it certified pre-owned for 10 grand less :)

An Undocumented Worker
01-10-10, 19:25
I'm gonna be the turd in the punchbowl... Ford Explorer. We run a fleet of 20 '07 models (plus I own one myself) and, aside from the one that was driven off into a river :rolleyes:, the only things besides routine maintenance have been (1) shifter relay repair (in the first six months of life) and (1) broken fan belt. BTW, we run'em offroad a lot, maintaining remote communications sites on mountain tops and the like.

Funny you should say that, I work as an Auto tech at a private shop, and have hated the older Explorers for a long time. After the 2nd or 3rd test drive after aligning a few of the newer Explorers I was dumbfounded when I found myself thinking that, damn these new Explorers are pretty damn nice vehicles.

Mind you, this is after having over a decade of Explorer HATRED under my belt. Ford is really getting thier act together.

Mjolnir
01-10-10, 20:35
Interesting. You should contact FoMoCo! :D

That's actually great to hear! Mind if I pass this along to some of the engineers there? Perhaps they'll contact you (if they give a damn).

Actually, wheel bearings, brake disks and transmission woes are issues with all FWD automatic transmissions Fords. That's not to say that every one will develop issues but many have and will.

Mjolnir
01-10-10, 20:38
Funny you should say that, I work as an Auto tech at a private shop, and have hated the older Explorers for a long time. After the 2nd or 3rd test drive after aligning a few of the newer Explorers I was dumbfounded when I found myself thinking that, damn these new Explorers are pretty damn nice vehicles.

Mind you, this is after having over a decade of Explorer HATRED under my belt. Ford is really getting thier act together.
They finally spent some effort at improving the levels of refinement in the vehicle. Usually, Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) got paid a lot of lip service but was always an afterthought. As I was leaving (2007) I noticed all of the effort.

Dunderway
01-10-10, 21:48
My folks owned a 99 4Runner Limited and got 18X,XXX miles out of it without a single issue. Granted my Dad's maintenance schedule for any vehicle is beyond consistent.

I have seen some amazing deals on newer 4Runners out here lately. I'm not sure why the resale is so low, but I assume it is just a surplus caused by the truck's popularity before the gas scare.

At any rate they are a good vehicle, and I think that you should be able to pick one up for a great price right now. I would advise you to shop around for one with the factory locker. They are well worth the minor cost if your vehicle will ever see any serious offroading down the line.

tusk212
01-11-10, 11:26
I've been shopping around my area and I can only find the 3rd gen 4runners for a decent price. Pretty much any 4th gens either have a ton of miles or are out of my price range. I'm thinking about taking a look at the Xterra.

rob_s
01-11-10, 12:14
I was very, very much looking forward to the 5th gen 4Runner and am very, very disappointed. The V6 and no V8 bothers me not at all, but the thing gained in weight and is too expensive for what it is, so I'm looking elsewhere.

Rumor was that it was going to get a little smaller, a little lighter, and a little less expensive and based on those rumors I was excited. I don't have even the slightest bit of interest in what actually is coming to market.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-11-10, 12:26
I was very, very much looking forward to the 5th gen 4Runner and am very, very disappointed. The V6 and no V8 bothers me not at all, but the thing gained in weight and is too expensive for what it is, so I'm looking elsewhere.

Rumor was that it was going to get a little smaller, a little lighter, and a little less expensive and based on those rumors I was excited. I don't have even the slightest bit of interest in what actually is coming to market.

I sat in one and was unerwhelmed. At 5300 feet, I like a V8 for a bit more ass, but it isn't that bad of a V6. I do feel like it is appreciable smaller inside. The second row has a cut out into the ceiling for headroom. Not a bad truck, but I just don't know what the overwhelming reason that anyone would buy it. I think the JGC will beat it in features and value, but I tire of Jeeps goofy engineering and quality. It isn't a bad truck, but if you ldon't mind a used vehicle, I'd look at 2yr old 4Runners coming off of lease for a deal. I had one as a rental once and it was wa nicer then my JGC Limited, and that was a rental - which take beatings.

MOA
01-11-10, 15:22
Get a jeep. 2004 and newer Grand Cherokee. Best thing there is. Mine has a V8 ang goes any where I need it to. Of the 2 you mentioned go with the toyota. Better vehicle. I got a jeeo cause my 84 with 300000 miles finally died.

ST911
01-11-10, 16:51
Get a jeep. 2004 and newer Grand Cherokee. Best thing there is. Mine has a V8 ang goes any where I need it to. Of the 2 you mentioned go with the toyota. Better vehicle. I got a jeeo cause my 84 with 300000 miles finally died.

http://www.stationbay.com/images/P/Jeeplarge.jpg

10MMGary
01-11-10, 18:50
We are on our forth Toyota one Camry and three trucks. Other family members have/had Rav4s Highlanders Celicas and Camrys, two friends have 4Runners. Our Son drives our old 2002 Tundra now and with over 100,000 miles it still does not leak or burn any measurable oil. Our Tacoma is now with it fourth owner and still running. In fact not a single one of us have ever had any problems that Toyota didn't solve ASAP and at no cost to us, and those were few and far between. I am now in a 2008 Tundra Crew Max 4X4 and could not be happier(unless they offered a diesel). I will always look at other's offerings but they will have to be really special to get me away from a Toyota product.

FWIW one friend has a 2-3 year old Nissan Armada Pathfinder and I have to say that thing is huge and as luxurious a SUV I have ever rode in.

stipilot
01-12-10, 07:40

Apples and oranges: truck vs high end luxury sport crossover

rob_s
01-12-10, 07:43
Apples and oranges: truck vs high end luxury sport crossover

Maybe so, but how many of those "truck" drivers EVER use even 1/10th of the "truck" utility of the Pathfinder?

and given that a Pathfinder LE V8 STARTS at $42k while the MDX starts at the same price....

I think Shivan probably figured all of that out rather quickly and realized that the MDX is handily the better purchase for the vast majority of buyers that will never so much as see a dirt road with their Pathfinder. Hell I'd about bet that the MDX's AWD system is even better suited to a dirt road than a 4WD Pathfinder.

stipilot
01-12-10, 07:48
There were so few 09s made that I would not count on finding an 09. I think the 4Runner was the 4th worst seller of 2009.
Correct, remember the $4 gas of late '08? Toyota produced very, very few 09 SUVs of any model and they sold out fast.

I have a 2000 Pathfinder ~120K miles. I generally follow recommended service. Only thing the least bit out of the ordinary was shocks and struts at around 100K which is outstanding. Other than a few door dings, it cleans up like it was just off the showroom. It has been by far the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Having said that, I like the 4Runners better than the Pathfinders these days and expect to buy an '10 4Runner later this year.

I also looked at a Honda Pilot which is much more roomy inside than either but I think they are closer to the crossover class of vehicles than SUVs and they are noisy as hell on the highway. I don't know why Honda thinks a $35-40K vehicle shouldn't be reasonably insulated from road noise.

RyanS
01-12-10, 08:34
I've owned four Jeeps...a 95 Cherokee, a 98 Wrangler, a 01 Grand Cherokee and a 05 Liberty. The Cherokee and Wrangler were the better of the four. The Grand Cherokee had transmission problems and the Liberty has been nickle and diming me due to wiring, brake, stearing issues. It's in the shop right now as the power stearing went out on Saturday. OEM parts for repair are on a 1 month back order so my dealership has been having to call around to others. Luckily they were able to locate what they needed but it won't be here for about a week. Apparently reman parts are just as rare. After inquiring as to what the deal was, all I was told that it won't be getting any better and they've been having this problem for awhile.

Thus it is true...the Jeep "just eats every penny" and as soon as it's feasible I will be getting a Nissan or a Yota.

ST911
01-12-10, 13:07
I also looked at a Honda Pilot which is much more roomy inside than either but I think they are closer to the crossover class of vehicles than SUVs and they are noisy as hell on the highway. I don't know why Honda thinks a $35-40K vehicle shouldn't be reasonably insulated from road noise.

A friend has a Pilot that I've traveled in. Echo your observations. Very room for its footprint, but noisy. Good ride.

I've owned four Jeeps...a 95 Cherokee, a 98 Wrangler, a 01 Grand Cherokee and a 05 Liberty. The Cherokee and Wrangler were the better of the four. The Grand Cherokee had transmission problems and the Liberty has been nickle and diming me due to wiring, brake, stearing issues. It's in the shop right now as the power stearing went out on Saturday. OEM parts for repair are on a 1 month back order so my dealership has been having to call around to others. Luckily they were able to locate what they needed but it won't be here for about a week. Apparently reman parts are just as rare. After inquiring as to what the deal was, all I was told that it won't be getting any better and they've been having this problem for awhile. Thus it is true...the Jeep "just eats every penny" and as soon as it's feasible I will be getting a Nissan or a Yota.

The Liberty is "the Jeep that's not." Not as reliable, not as durable, not really an SUV, not really a crossover. OEM specs are a constantly moving target. It's a Wrangler for soccer moms that want more comfort, but without the reliability and utility.

If the Liberty meets your needs for size, try a Wrangler Unlimited if you want to stay in a Jeep. I was surprised at how close it was to my Cherokee in size, capacity, and functionality.

MOA
01-30-10, 18:00
Hmmm. My jeep just had the water pump go out but it is 6 years old with 100000 miles on it. Cost $50 and took 30 minutes. My only complant is no factory tow points/ retreival hook.
That said I do love a toyota just couldn't find one in my price range that was 4x4 and ex cab.

madisonsfinest
01-30-10, 18:26
I just picked up a tacoma last month, and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner! It's my first 4x4 though

tusk212
07-14-10, 09:54
Update:

I pick up my 03 4Runner on Saturday. I got it for a good price but it has a little more miles than I was looking for. It is in good shape and seems mechanically sound.

kry226
07-14-10, 11:51
Update:

I pick up my 03 4Runner on Saturday. I got it for a good price but it has a little more miles than I was looking for. It is in good shape and seems mechanically sound.

Cool. We love our 04 SR5 V8 AWD 4Runner. It has simply been a superb vehicle. Not an issue that couldn't be attributed to minor wear and tear and general maintenance. I did perform a recall on the sunroof myself. Heck, it still has the original battery six years and 97K miles later.

Did you get the V8 or V6?

tusk212
07-18-10, 10:55
Cool. We love our 04 SR5 V8 AWD 4Runner. It has simply been a superb vehicle. Not an issue that couldn't be attributed to minor wear and tear and general maintenance. I did perform a recall on the sunroof myself. Heck, it still has the original battery six years and 97K miles later.

Did you get the V8 or V6?

I got a V6 Sport model.