PDA

View Full Version : News: Springfield releases compact XDM in 9mm

maximus83
01-09-10, 13:50
Seems like we're getting a number of new compact releases. Ruger has theirs for the SR9 (ho-hum), and Springfield has announced the compact XDM in 9mm (double ho-hum when you see the specs, but I digress).

Specs (http://www.the-m-factor.com/specs_1.html) compared to the XDM FS (full-size numbers in parens):

* Barrel: 3.8" (4.5")
* OAL: 7" (7.5" -- I am not 100% about the OAL for the FS XDM, as I don't have one here and have seen conflicting numbers for this measurement)
* Weight: 27.5oz (32oz)
* Height: 5.6" (same)
* Width: 1.25" (same)
* Capacity: 19rd (same)

These hold little interest for me personally as I've standardized on M&P for SD and carry, but it'll be interesting to see if XD owners and fans, and also any agencies, begin to take more notice of this platform now that it has a viable carry gun. Note that the FRAME HEIGHT of the gun is unchanged from the full-size model, and this is going to make it harder to conceal. Compare the height of the G19 at about 5", or the M&P compacts at a mere 4.3" in height. That XDM is pretty tall for a compact model. At the same time though, because they retained the frame height from the FS model, they are able to keep the full 19rd capacity of the FS, which may appeal to some.

John_Wayne777
01-09-10, 14:15
I don't understand the decision to keep the full sized frame. The two most critical dimensions in concealment are the overall thickness of the weapon and the height of the weapon...which, when carried in a holster, provides the majority of the capacity for printing.

RAM Engineer
01-09-10, 14:22
Once again, Springfield displays their Kimber-like lack of understanding as to what is required of a CCW fighting gun.

RogerinTPA
01-09-10, 14:29
Seems like we're getting a number of new compact releases. Ruger has theirs for the SR9 (ho-hum), and Springfield has announced the compact XDM in 9mm (double ho-hum when you see the specs, but I digress).

Specs (http://www.the-m-factor.com/specs_1.html) compared to the XDM FS (full-size numbers in parens):

* Barrel: 3.8" (4.5")
* OAL: 7" (7.5" -- I am not 100% about the OAL for the FS XDM, as I don't have one here and have seen conflicting numbers for this measurement)
* Weight: 27.5oz (32oz)
* Height: 5.6" (same)
* Width: 1.25" (same)
* Capacity: 19rd (same)

These hold little interest for me personally as I've standardized on M&P for SD and carry, but it'll be interesting to see if XD owners and fans, and also any agencies, begin to take more notice of this platform now that it has a viable carry gun. Note that the FRAME HEIGHT of the gun is unchanged from the full-size model, and this is going to make it harder to conceal. Compare the height of the G19 at about 5", or the M&P compacts at a mere 4.3" in height. That XDM is pretty tall for a compact model. At the same time though, because they retained the frame height from the FS model, they are able to keep the full 19rd capacity of the FS, which may appeal to some.

I'm sure it will (Yawn).:)

skyugo
01-09-10, 15:10
hurray, another XD for us to make fun of...

it's funny how hated those pistols are... my only experience with one was my friend's 357 sig one that jammed about every 3 rounds... i know this isn't the standard for them, but it didn't impress me any.

S391
01-09-10, 15:11
I handled one the other day and they're interesting...... It felt odd.......I think they would have been better off if they had made the grip shorter then given the option of a mag with an extension......

Buckaroo
01-10-10, 06:37
I have no interest in this but I am more likely to see or hear about a full size pistol getting a grip chop to keep the slide/barrel length than to hear of someone wanting to put a compact slide on a fullsize frame...

Am I missing something or is Springfield?

Buckaroo

Lee Indy
01-10-10, 07:26
cant call anything with a 19rd capacity a compact. id rather they made a service length barrel with a 15rd capacity (like maybe a glock 19 compeditor)

ChicagoTex
01-10-10, 08:53
I don't understand the decision to keep the full sized frame. The two most critical dimensions in concealment are the overall thickness of the weapon and the height of the weapon...which, when carried in a holster, provides the majority of the capacity for printing.

The fellas at my local funshop showed me the one they just got in and that was pretty much my immediate response. Empty, it felt pretty decent but I'll bet it's unbalanced as hell with a full 19rd mag in.

I wonder if Springfield is still paying bounties to shops to sell XDs and/or XDms because, despite the horror stories I related about my short time owning an XD40, they keep trying to get me to be interested in an XDm.
Maybe I should stop being so polite and explain why that's impossible...

John_Wayne777
01-10-10, 11:03
Once again, Springfield displays their Kimber-like lack of understanding as to what is required of a CCW fighting gun.

You have to wonder if it occurred to anyone who actually designs these things to take the proposed design and actually put it in a holster and try to conceal it around the office or something. Get 3 mirrors like they have in clothing stores and get multiple people in the company of multiple sizes and shapes and modes of dress to try the gun with some different holsters and see what the results are.

It seems to me if they had actually done that the flaws in their approach would have become apparent. The standard XD compact is more along the lines of what a compact pistol is meant to do.

Chieftain
01-10-10, 16:54
I ran an XDm 9mm last season for the Steel Challenge. Put in a trigger kit and it ran pretty good. I like to run a new gun every year. It is how I stay current on the new guns that come available.

Then I needed new Magazine springs. Neither Springfield or Wolff has them. I could buy magazine rebuild kits, but nothing near as cheap as just springs. That ended it for me.

Soon after that, a friend's, XD needed a new extractor. With most guns that ain't no "thing". Springfield will not send him one. He has to send the gun in to get the new extractor. Simply unacceptable.

I will not buy nor support guns that do not support their guns with the simplest of replacement parts.

It is unacceptable, for any serious weapon.

Go figure.

Fred

ST911
01-10-10, 17:23
The majority of folks who will buy these either won't know the difference, or won't really try to conceal them anyway. The XD line is a hobby gun for people who own guns.

MarshallDodge
01-10-10, 19:39

What? Diminish the capacity from 19 rounds? :rolleyes:

Magsz
01-10-10, 21:31
What? Diminish the capacity from 19 rounds? :rolleyes:

Man, this begs the question...how many rounds are too many rounds?

Most of us would respond with "you can never have enough rounds in the gun" but as many other posters already mentioned, have any of the guys over at Springfield ever actually carried a gun concealed?

Grip length is one of the most important features when choosing a concealed carry weapon. Having a big ass honking grip sticking out while trying to carry is less than ideal.

I really dont see the point in a 3.8 inch barreled weapon with a full length grip. You're not gaining anything. Some people say they find it easier to shoot guns with shorter sight radius's for speed but im not qualified to really comment on that.

varoadking
01-11-10, 18:32
This really is great news...for my wallet anyway...just another gun I don't want...

skyugo
01-11-10, 18:43
cant call anything with a 19rd capacity a compact. id rather they made a service length barrel with a 15rd capacity (like maybe a glock 19 compeditor)

that's one of the things you gotta give to glock, the dimensions of their guns generally make sense.

skyugo
01-11-10, 18:44
Man, this begs the question...how many rounds are too many rounds?

Most of us would respond with "you can never have enough rounds in the gun" but as many other posters already mentioned, have any of the guys over at Springfield ever actually carried a gun concealed?

Grip length is one of the most important features when choosing a concealed carry weapon. Having a big ass honking grip sticking out while trying to carry is less than ideal.

I really dont see the point in a 3.8 inch barreled weapon with a full length grip. You're not gaining anything. Some people say they find it easier to shoot guns with shorter sight radius's for speed but im not qualified to really comment on that.

anything over 13 is cool with me.
this new XD is the most ridiculous thing yet in a long line of ridiculous things.

silentsod
01-11-10, 23:24
Time to start coming up with taglines.

"Compact everywhere but where it counts!"

Business_Casual
01-12-10, 09:39
Actually, it does make a lot of sense if you appendix carry, doesn't it?

I am going to start a thread in Training and Tactics about the number of rounds needed. I've been wanting to discuss it.

M_P