PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on this upper..

BigBuckeye
01-09-10, 16:20
It's a little late now as I went ahead and ordered it, but I am kind of having buyers remorse.

I am trying to build a quality Carbine on a budget. I tried to keep the "chart" in mind and thought this had a nice list of options. I realize the RRA BCG might not be great, but i figure i can invest in a better BCG down the line.....

Just looking for your thoughts....

Here is what I have so far:

-Spikes tactical lower

-Stag Parts kit

-Magpul MOE grip (dark earth)

-Magpul CTR Mil spec stock

-Magpul enhanced trigger guard

-KNS anti rotation pins

Here is the upper..it's the M4 at the top
http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/122/163

Iraqgunz
01-09-10, 16:49
From what I can tell they actually build this upper using a Daniel Defense barrel and CMT upper and then added the rest of the parts. So I don't know how they can be legit Daniel Defense uppers. Since you already purchased it go ahead and see what happens.

I would ditch the KNS pins, they aren't needed.

It's a little late now as I went ahead and ordered it, but I am kind of having buyers remorse.

I am trying to build a quality Carbine on a budget. I tried to keep the "chart" in mind and thought this had a nice list of options. I realize the RRA BCG might not be great, but i figure i can invest in a better BCG down the line.....

Just looking for your thoughts....

Here is what I have so far:

-Spikes tactical lower

-Stag Parts kit

-Magpul MOE grip (dark earth)

-Magpul CTR Mil spec stock

-Magpul enhanced trigger guard

-KNS anti rotation pins

Here is the upper..it's the M4 at the top
http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/122/163

ZeroDistortionNow
01-09-10, 22:15
Almost identicle to what I built...

CMT upper= well made, fit and finish A++ and is teflon coated for a smoother action (See Rainier Arms for description)
DD 16" barrel is a nice barrel, no complaints here so what if it's not "cold hammer forged" it will put rounds down range and inflict dammage when necessary.
I used a LMT bolt and carrier asm. instead of a rra

One thing I have learned here on this forum is that many people are putting together AR's that are well over-built for their initail intent (destroying their enemy). Many of the "COOL" parts don't really add to the reliability factor

Reliability is #1 and all of the fancy national whatever, funky widget, made by XYZ, match whatever, looks cooler than ABC or XYZ will not make it do its job any better than a known reliable part.

I think you are building a budget minded rock solid weapon and as long as you stick with manufacturers with known good QC and customer support you should be GTG, don't sell yourself short and don't give into trends

just my $.02

5pins
01-09-10, 23:01
I have that upper and I think you will be very happy with it. I did however swap out the BCG on mine. Just make sure that the key is staked right.

BigBuckeye
01-09-10, 23:54
Thanks, sounds like for the price, I may have a decent upper....

Patriotme
01-10-10, 01:12
I want to do a build over the next few months. Just out of curiosity....what did this cost you?

Stormy556
01-10-10, 01:27
If it's staked properly the carrier should be fine but you might want to get a better pressure tested bolt, BCM or LMT are good choices. Post pics when it's done!!!

BigBuckeye
01-10-10, 10:08
I want to do a build over the next few months. Just out of curiosity....what did this cost you?

When it is all said and done, I will have just over $800 in it, and that is with a few misteps here and there....

GlockCop525
01-10-10, 10:14
[QUOTE=ZeroDistortionNow;537286]Almost identicle to what I built...

so what if it's not "cold hammer forged"

Might be a dumb question thats probably already been answered, but how much of a difference does a cold hammer forged barrel make?

Heavy Metal
01-10-10, 11:18
[QUOTE=ZeroDistortionNow;537286]Almost identicle to what I built...

so what if it's not "cold hammer forged"

Might be a dumb question thats probably already been answered, but how much of a difference does a cold hammer forged barrel make?

Double to Triple the lifespan.

Cameron
01-10-10, 11:24

Where would I find any data that backs that up?

Cameron

Heavy Metal
01-10-10, 15:00
Mainly H&K's claim for their 416. 25,000 rounds min servicable life IIRC. It is hammer-forged.

That is close to three times the expected lifespan of a typical M-4 barrel exposed to a somewhat demanding firing schedule.

MOA
01-11-10, 17:37
Im interested to see how these are too. I have been looking at these and I was thinking on the hammerforged DD one. The price is right and even with a BCG its a ok price.

BigBuckeye
01-11-10, 19:11
I'll post plenty of pics by this weekend. It is coming in on the 13th, but I am going out of town on business...

Belmont31R
01-11-10, 19:18
Why the KNS pins? Seems like a waste of money 99% of the time.

BigBuckeye
01-11-10, 19:49

No freaking idea.....well ok, I thought they looked cool (I'll admit it) and figured 'they served some incredibly important function. The descritpion said they are a "must have".......stupid....

Belmont31R
01-11-10, 19:56
No freaking idea.....well ok, I thought they looked cool (I'll admit it) and figured 'they served some incredibly important function. The descritpion said they are a "must have".......stupid....

Just wanting to make sure.

I have yet to see a case where someone could point to where KNS pins did anything beneficial for them.

The AR trigger system is designed so the pins do not walk out. If there is an issue its because something is not working properly or installed correctly. Not saying anything about you but lots of people put together a lower incorrectly, and then go to the range with pins popping out and the rifle doubling or going through an entire mag with one trigger press because they "forgot" to install something or didnt install something correctly.

BigBuckeye
01-25-10, 22:26
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/mgriffin76/100_1596.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/mgriffin76/100_1599.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/mgriffin76/100_1594.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f398/mgriffin76/100_1595.jpg

GlockCop525
01-26-10, 10:30
ohh that looks nice...

BigBuckeye
01-26-10, 12:46
Thanks, I REALLY enjoyed building it!

rmecapn
01-26-10, 13:20

I have two lowers which have had the pins walk out and lock up the FCG. That 1% of the time is worth it to me. They do prevent the pins from walking.

Belmont31R
01-26-10, 13:36
I have two lowers which have had the pins walk out and lock up the FCG. That 1% of the time is worth it to me. They do prevent the pins from walking.

Then something is out of spec or not assembled correctly. The legs on the hammer spring are supposed to prevent that...which is why the pins have the little notch in them.

rmecapn
01-26-10, 13:50
Then something is out of spec or not assembled correctly. The legs on the hammer spring are supposed to prevent that...which is why the pins have the little notch in them.

Assembly was correct. I double and triple checked. Poor pins, I don't know. The KNS pins fixed the issue. And no one is twisting yours or anyone else's arm to buy them.

spamsammich
01-26-10, 15:29
Assembly was correct. I double and triple checked. Poor pins, I don't know. The KNS pins fixed the issue. And no one is twisting yours or anyone else's arm to buy them.

The j-spring in your hammer was faulty. I've had an lpk with a dead j-spring right out of the package, I could never really feel the pin click into place when I assembled it. That's the ONLY time I've had FCG pins walk. YMMV

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 16:42
We see the hammer/trigger pin holes in the lower receiver out of spec all the time. This is generally why the pins walk.

Instead of scrapping the whole lower, KNS pins fix the issue.

C4

newguy
01-26-10, 17:37
[QUOTE=GlockCop525;537492]

if ts chrome lined it doesnt matter athe chrome is harder than any metal its in

spamsammich
01-26-10, 18:08
We see the hammer/trigger pin holes in the lower receiver out of spec all the time. This is generally why the pins walk.

Instead of scrapping the whole lower, KNS pins fix the issue.

C4

Is it a matter of the diameter of the holes or placement of the holes in relation to the others? I've seen a DPMS lower that had the trigger holes too far to the rear so the selector action was impeded by the trigger

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 19:35
From what I can tell they actually build this upper using a Daniel Defense barrel and CMT upper and then added the rest of the parts. So I don't know how they can be legit Daniel Defense uppers. Since you already purchased it go ahead and see what happens.

I would ditch the KNS pins, they aren't needed.

Right. Kind of misleading with DD in the name. These barrels are not the hammer forged versions.

C4

C4IGrant
01-26-10, 19:40
Is it a matter of the diameter of the holes or placement of the holes in relation to the others? I've seen a DPMS lower that had the trigger holes too far to the rear so the selector action was impeded by the trigger

I think it is generally the diameter of the holes.

C4