PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for a 6920

jmoore
03-23-07, 21:16
Been lurking for a while, and it's now time to put the tax money to good use:)

I've been a pistolero for nearly 40 years, but haven't done much with long guns. I'd like to get an AR-type carbine, and have determined that the Colt 6920 would be a good starting point. I have a dealer set up to order for me, just need to know - A) what type of price range am I looking at (if he can find a NIB), and B) where a good source might be to order from?

TIA

jm

nationwide
03-23-07, 21:42
Shotgun News is your friend ;)

In the March 19 issue, Hoplite Inc. of Shepardsville, KY has the 6920 advertised for $1,229.99 "Factory New In The Box".

They note "LIMITED AVAILABILITY" but have advertisedt them constantly.

I called them some time ago about one of the Remington Police shotguns they sell, and they indicated they would gladly sell to me, and ship to my FFL. I would expect the same holds true for you.

Their number is: (502) 955-5014 and they show hours of 8A-5P

Hope that helps!

Robb Jensen
03-24-07, 08:08
You can also find them regularly at Specialized Armament (http://www.specializedarmament.com/) from Ken Elmore.

glock281
03-24-07, 09:59
Hoplite is where I purchased my Colt 6450 from
Good people to deal with and quick shipment (shipped out same day I called my CC in)

Cold Zero
03-24-07, 11:16
i beleive grant at g and r also gets 6920's in from time to time. worth checking into...

Razoreye
03-24-07, 13:28
Supposedly AR15sales has it for $911. See it for yourself. Sounds like a helluva deal to me!

http://www.ar15sales.com/leoprod.htm

Razorhunter
03-24-07, 14:53
Supposedly AR15sales has it for $911. See it for yourself. Sounds like a helluva deal to me!

http://www.ar15sales.com/leoprod.htm

I just got off the phone with this guy. First off, his website is outdated, and he doesn't know when he will have any more Colts in stock. He also said they would be $1379. He ALSO went on to TOTALLY TRASH the Colt rifles!! I mean, this guy REALLY trashed the Colt rifles.
He started shouting out a whole entire list of things that he says are now wrong with the Colts. One phrase he spit out, (and I quote), "Colts quality has gone down the drain"...
He started shouting out SO MANY negative remarks about the Colts, that it almost sounded like he was reading from a piece of paper, as his voice just got to where it sounded like a robot, with no emotion in it at all.
Here are only a FEW of the things he said to me, as I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with him. I jotted down all I could, so I could post it here to let you guys see what this guy is talking about.
He stated the following:

COLT RIFLES:

-are sold with uppers made in Canada now, and they are crappy quality, and the anodizing does not match the lowers anymore.

-the lower receivers are not polished out like they used to be, and the finish under the anodizing sucks. This is why so many rifles are dinged/dented up, and rough finished in some areas.

-there is usually slop between the receivers, so an accuwedge must be used

-the trigger is "basterdized" with odd sized pins (assume he means the .170" pins)

-they are sold with an outdated, 4 position stock

He also went on to say SOMETHING? about the detachable carry handle, and the sight coming loose, and flying off under certain conditions??? I don't know WTF he was talking about here, as I cant' even imagine what it is he was saying. As I said guys, he said this almost as if he had read this "list" of remarks/claims off of a piece of paper a million times to other people over the phone. His voice sounded like a broken record, IF you allowed him to keep talking (which I did.) I then told him my Colt was pretty good quality, but I did have a few blemishes on the lower, where it wasn't polished down as nicely as I would have liked.
He also then went on to specifically say that Colt WILL NOT offer you any warranty service, UNLESS you are LEO. I sure HOPE this is not true!!!
He did say it as if that had been his experience, but I just don't know.

Anyhow, he did briefly say the RRA's is now a better gun, and he mentioned the Contracts they've won with the border patrol/etc. He did not try to sell me one, but he did drop the RRA's name.
Anyhow, I just wanted you guys to know what he said.
Kind of saddening, as even though this guy may be wrong in many ways, he obviously has had some serious issues with Colts, and that is sad.
I still love my Colt, and it is superb, and well built.
I hope their warranty dept is not only rendering their services to LEO's, but I also hope to never need their warranty dept..!
Anyone else spoke with this guy before????

-H-
03-24-07, 17:24
He started shouting out SO MANY negative remarks about the Colts, that it almost sounded like he was reading from a piece of paper, as his voice just got to where it sounded like a robot, with no emotion in it at all.

You've obviously encountered one of the Anti-Colt Robots released into cirrculation by rival weapons manufacturers. A Coalition of Colt's opposition was formed in secret in the 90's. They hatched an evil plan to build and disperse Robots that would speak poorly about Colt. The current amount of these robots living among us is unknown.

Seriously, people either hate Colt or love them. (I personally would like to see them follow Ronnie Barrett's model.)

The rest of us don't care because we build our own, better, AR15's.

MerQ
03-24-07, 17:27
I think often times shop owners, especially smaller ones, bash certain products when they aren't regularly available to sell to customers. A lot of it is ignorance and is clearly unprofessional for someone carrying the products with intent to sell to customers. I seen and heard this from local shop owners myself than don't move a lot of products or sell to local LE. That said take everything with a grain of salt. It's just one man's ranting opinion.

Tang419
03-24-07, 19:33
My friend had one in his shop for a short time, a few weeks back. It went for $1200 NIB, but it was a Clinton gun. Fixed collapsible look stock, and no bayo lug,, or flash hider.

Shihan
03-24-07, 20:56
All Colt rifles suck, therefore I will be will be nice and offer 100.00 to buy them back from everyone who has one. Thir 1911's suck too so I will give 25.00 bucks for those also. :D :D :D

dimmak
03-24-07, 22:54
I just got off the phone with this guy. First off, his website is outdated, and he doesn't know when he will have any more Colts in stock. He also said they would be $1379. He ALSO went on to TOTALLY TRASH the Colt rifles!! I mean, this guy REALLY trashed the Colt rifles.
He started shouting out a whole entire list of things that he says are now wrong with the Colts. One phrase he spit out, (and I quote), "Colts quality has gone down the drain"...
Here are only a FEW of the things he said to me, as I couldn't write fast enough to keep up with him. I jotted down all I could, so I could post it here to let you guys see what this guy is talking about.
He stated the following:

COLT RIFLES:

-are sold with uppers made in Canada now, and they are crappy quality, and the anodizing does not match the lowers anymore.

-the lower receivers are not polished out like they used to be, and the finish under the anodizing sucks. This is why so many rifles are dinged/dented up, and rough finished in some areas.

-the trigger is "basterdized" with odd sized pins (assume he means the .170" pins)

He also went on to say SOMETHING? about the detachable carry handle, and the sight coming loose, and flying off under certain conditions??? I don't know WTF he was talking about here, as I cant' even imagine what it is he was saying. As I said guys, he said this almost as if he had read this "list" of remarks/claims off of a piece of paper a million times to other people over the phone. His voice sounded like a broken record, IF you allowed him to keep talking (which I did.) I then told him my Colt was pretty good quality, but I did have a few blemishes on the lower, where it wasn't polished down as nicely as I would have liked.
He also then went on to specifically say that Colt WILL NOT offer you any warranty service, UNLESS you are LEO. I sure HOPE this is not true!!!

Anyhow, he did briefly say the RRA's is now a better gun, and he mentioned the Contracts they've won with the border patrol/etc. He did not try to sell me one, but he did drop the RRA's name.
Kind of saddening, as even though this guy may be wrong in many ways, he obviously has had some serious issues with Colts, and that is sad.
I hope their warranty dept is not only rendering their services to LEO's, but I also hope to never need their warranty dept..!

Roger that, I had the same experience.....

5POINT56
03-25-07, 09:57
You think he may advertise 6920's at the lowest price possible, just to get calls from people he can read his manifesto too? He sounds pretty intensely interested in the subject.

Why people get so hung up on 6920's never ceases to amaze me. Colt has never built a rifle as good as one I can put together. Sure, the 6920 is an outstanding rifle, but the only show in town it certainly is not.

That, and the people who sell the excellent parts I can use for a build clearly and visibly seek civilian business and that speaks volumes to me. Colt may have their reasons for their approach to civilians and that's certainly up to them. I however, when given a choice with zero quality compromise, will always vote with my wallet.

Above all else though, is that I have three rifles, assembled from several top tier parts makers, that simply have no peer in the AR world...so there's s no reason to go with a factory Colt when better can be had. Why settle?

Putter
03-25-07, 14:18
Above all else though, is that I have three rifles, assembled from several top tier parts makers, that simply have no peer in the AR world...so there's s no reason to go with a factory Colt when better can be had. Why settle?

After buying a less than satisfactory M&P15:( , I'm looking to build one from parts. What do you recommend for a top quality lower and upper (perhaps in a gas piston system)?

-H-
03-25-07, 15:28
The S&W AR15 is basically built by Stag/CMT and stamped with S&W markings.

What exactly is wrong with your weapon? There shouldn't be anything you couldn't upgrade or fix for less money than a new over priced Colt.

Putter
03-25-07, 16:42
The S&W AR15 is basically built by Stag/CMT and stamped with S&W markings.

What exactly is wrong with your weapon? There shouldn't be anything you couldn't upgrade or fix for less money than a new over priced Colt.

The zeroing problem that a lot of current Stag/S&W owners have recently been having and discussing on another forum. With front and rear sights mechanically zeroed, the rifle shoots about 3 feet high and way to the left:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=311257&page=1

My M&P15 came back with the excessive rear windage problem fixed, but the front sight post still sticks way up when zeroed for 50 yards. Not an acceptable situation for a premium priced rifle, imho. The rifle still shoots OK, but I'd like to add another AR to my collection in case AWB2 picks up steam in Congress, and I would like to build a nice one from components.

Robb Jensen
03-25-07, 16:50
The non-F FSB fix costs $5.50, some companies don't realize the you need a F FSB when using a flat top upper receiver. Unfortunately this is quite common but it is unacceptable.

Putter
03-25-07, 22:54
The non-F FSB fix costs $5.50, some companies don't realize the you need a F FSB when using a flat top upper receiver. Unfortunately this is quite common but it is unacceptable.

My buddy's M4 flat top Bushmaster came with a non F FSB, but his front sight is OK. My S&W came with an F FSB, but is way off. Go figure. Seems to be a problem with a misaligned barrel/receiver setup.

Shihan
03-26-07, 01:52
Send that sucker back

-H-
03-26-07, 09:40
My buddy's M4 flat top Bushmaster came with a non F FSB, but his front sight is OK. My S&W came with an F FSB, but is way off. Go figure. Seems to be a problem with a misaligned barrel/receiver setup.

Negative. I read the link and there are a lot of people jumping to conclusions on TOS. Your barrel isn't "bent up" or "threaded into the receiver wrong" as a few confused users might suggest. I won't go into how stupid their comments are.

Most likely it is a simple combination of BUIS that have to be adjusted or ran out of windage and a need for a taller front sight. It is fairly common for BUIS having the windage cranked all the way over to one side, especially with ARMS.

Razoreye
03-26-07, 12:31
Interesting. ;)

Chris Poston
03-26-07, 14:27
Lawmens Safety supply in Raleigh, N.C. has 10 6920's as of today. Price was $1250.00 I believe.

www.lawmens.com

Putter
03-26-07, 15:06
Negative. I read the link and there are a lot of people jumping to conclusions on TOS. Your barrel isn't "bent up" or "threaded into the receiver wrong" as a few confused users might suggest. I won't go into how stupid their comments are.

Most likely it is a simple combination of BUIS that have to be adjusted or ran out of windage and a need for a taller front sight. It is fairly common for BUIS having the windage cranked all the way over to one side, especially with ARMS.

I had the same windage problem with both the included carry handle base and the ARMS #40, which is what made me suspect that the problem lay elsewhere. I called and spoke to the tech who was working on my rifle. He stated that the windage problem was caused by a defective FSB.

As for the elevation problem, he said they were replacing the entire upper receiver assembly, so I assumed that's where the problem was, and that doing so would fix both problems. After zeroing the rifle at fifty yards, the rear sight aperture now sits very close to the middle. Unfortunately, the front sight post still sits way up, level with the top of the protective ears and exposed to possible damage. It looks like they did install a taller front sight post, perhaps to eliminate that gap between the post and base. The front sight posts on my Colt, Bushmaster, and other AR's I've seen at the range sit well below the top of the ears, even with different BUIS types.

Caveat emptor:(

Putter
03-26-07, 15:16
BTW, sorry for straying from the original topic of this thread. I just had to vent a little. :D

-H-
03-26-07, 18:48
In that case Putter, I suggest that's a justification to upgrade to one of these:
:D

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/9085/prifrontsightbarrelmounep1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mark Taylor
03-26-07, 20:05
To jmoore,

The Colt LE6920 is an excellent choice, but it is expensive. I would also
recommend Specialized Armament for any Colt weapon or part.

Mark

Putter
03-26-07, 20:35
In that case Putter, I suggest that's a justification to upgrade to one of these:

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/9085/prifrontsightbarrelmounep1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Uh oh...one more excuse to spend more money:D

Robb Jensen
03-26-07, 22:06

IMHO that would be a degrade. Any gas block that isn't pinned to the barrel like the factory FSB is just asking for less reliability.

C4IGrant
03-29-07, 10:55
Just as an FYI to folks that don't know Pete very well, he values fit/finish over all else. As we all know fit/finish is the LEAST important thing in a fighting weapon.

I have no doubt that RRA AR's are "prettier" than Colt. Colt as NEVER been known for building a nice looking gun. What they are known for is using the best, most expensive materials and doing the most expensive testing (HPT/MPI) on their barrels and bolts.

Quality of components used and properly assembling the weapon are the ONLY THINGS THAT MATTER.

For a quick lesson on how RRA cuts corners to save a buck, here is the short list:

4140 barrel steel (not HPT/MP'd)
Carrier keys not properly staked (generally)
Non Mil-Spec Receiver Extension
Loctitted RE (should be staked)
A3 receivers with DREMEL TOOL'd feed ramps (right through the hard anodizing)

C4

9DivDoc
03-29-07, 22:06
A3 receivers with DREMEL TOOL'd feed ramps (right through the hard anodizing)

tinman44
03-30-07, 22:41
i hate to beat this horse but i cant for the life of me make a decision. availability is going to make it for me i suspect. i have heard that a few things that colt's are good at and others are not are things like "carrier key being set properly?" and feed ramps and materials. i would love to see pics of these things. i want an m4/ar15, i have no idea which to get, i want the colt le6920 but i have been reading here for at least two months and still cant make up my mind. there is a rock river dealer near my house and they have tactical entry rifles in stock but i have no idea whats wrong with them if anything. i have been told they have a guarantee of one inch spread at some yardage well thats what the salesmen said. (not a quote i cant remember exactly what he said) the trigger pull is definately better than the smith and wesson m&p. colt le 6920 is the way to go i've decided but there is no telling when i can have one since no one has them. ffs can someone just send me one? :D

Shihan
03-31-07, 01:36
Colt and Rock River arent in the same league. Check out LMT.

C4IGrant
03-31-07, 08:12
i hate to beat this horse but i cant for the life of me make a decision. availability is going to make it for me i suspect. i have heard that a few things that colt's are good at and others are not are things like "carrier key being set properly?" and feed ramps and materials. i would love to see pics of these things. i want an m4/ar15, i have no idea which to get, i want the colt le6920 but i have been reading here for at least two months and still cant make up my mind. there is a rock river dealer near my house and they have tactical entry rifles in stock but i have no idea whats wrong with them if anything. i have been told they have a guarantee of one inch spread at some yardage well thats what the salesmen said. (not a quote i cant remember exactly what he said) the trigger pull is definately better than the smith and wesson m&p. colt le 6920 is the way to go i've decided but there is no telling when i can have one since no one has them. ffs can someone just send me one? :D

I actually have a 6920 coming in early next week if you want it.

C4

tinman44
03-31-07, 18:13
I actually have a 6920 coming in early next week if you want it.

C4

pm sent, thats if you were talking to me, if not i'm still interested

COLT
04-02-07, 12:44
He stated the following:

COLT RIFLES:

THIS GUY ADVERTISES COLTS SO WHEN PEOPLE DO A SEARCH THEY COME TO HIS WEB SITE .. THEN HE SAYS HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY COLTS BUT I'LL SELL YOU ANOTHER TYPE OF AR15 . THIS IS JUST A WAY FOR HIM TO GET PEOPLE TO COME TO HIS WEBSITE NOTHING ELSE .. COLTS ARE GREAT QUALITY HE JUST CAN'T GET THEM OR HE WOULD BE SELLING THEM ALSO ...!!!!!!!!!

Razorhunter
04-02-07, 14:13
Yeah,
It was mentioned above that this guy is big on cosmetics, and finishing of the rifle, and Colt has never really focused on the rifles finish.
However, MOST of what this guy complained about, and knocked Colt for, was NOT cosmetic-related issues....

f.2
04-02-07, 20:30
I just zeroed my nib Colt LE6921SP from Specialized Armament at 50 yards. Elevation was right on, windage: two clicks right, one click left, done. The SP models come with Ken Elmore's reliability package included. IIRC, my LE6920 zeroed in quickly with Troy folding BUIS.

I had the same windage problem with both the included carry handle base and the ARMS #40, which is what made me suspect that the problem lay elsewhere. I called and spoke to the tech who was working on my rifle. He stated that the windage problem was caused by a defective FSB.

As for the elevation problem, he said they were replacing the entire upper receiver assembly, so I assumed that's where the problem was, and that doing so would fix both problems. After zeroing the rifle at fifty yards, the rear sight aperture now sits very close to the middle. Unfortunately, the front sight post still sits way up, level with the top of the protective ears and exposed to possible damage. It looks like they did install a taller front sight post, perhaps to eliminate that gap between the post and base. The front sight posts on my Colt, Bushmaster, and other AR's I've seen at the range sit well below the top of the ears, even with different BUIS types.

Caveat emptor:(