PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the lens of my weapon light?

msr
01-09-10, 22:38
The lens on my Surefire X300 is getting so coated by carbon that it's output is drastically reduced. It protrudes a bit past the muzzle of my pistol so it gets pretty dirty every shoot but the carbon is accumulating more than I can wipe it off now. What are you all doing for a cleaning routine?

Jerm
01-09-10, 23:13
Pencil eraser for cleaning.

Alot of people cover the lense with vaseline or similar items for range use. I use cheap plastic lense caps that came with toy lights my kids have.

Oscar 319
01-09-10, 23:49
You can apply masking tape over the lens when training.

Slip 725 degreaser works well to clean it off.

Clean the lens after every shooting session.

ra2bach
01-10-10, 01:24
soap and water and a soft cloth...

GLOCKMASTER
01-10-10, 10:26
I have started using a sharp pocket knife on mine and so far it has worked very well without scratching the lens. Plus I always have a knife with me.

Dennis
01-10-10, 16:37
I clean my X300 lenses with Flitz, although any polish should work, and this leaves a clear coating that makes the residue come right off with a swipe of a rag or even your finger. Seems to last through at least a couple trips to the range if not more.

The buildup only seems to take a couple magazines to build up, I sure hope there is a better solution to this problem before I get in shootout longer than that in the dark!:D

Dennis.

RogerinTPA
01-10-10, 16:53
cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.

Jimbo45
01-13-10, 09:01
The quickest way I have found to clean my TLR-1 lens, is to disassemble it to the bare lens, and use a razor scraper, or use some Bar Keepers Friend, if you don't have a razor blade. No solvent that I have on hand, has ever effectively removed the carbon from a lens that has seen 500-1000 .45 rounds.

I quick way to prevent the build up, though, is to apply some gun grease, or silicone to the lens BEFORE shooting. Use the silicone if you are going to activate and utilize white light during night fire training, because it will be more transparent.

boganz45
01-13-10, 10:03
Soft cloth, 91% isopropyl rubing alcohol, pink #2 pencil eraser.

Mike72515
01-30-11, 09:42
I have been shooting alot with my tlr and have found it kinda annoying to clean. I found this thread via google and it seems to be that the solution is to put something on the lens rather to make it easier to clean.

I did find:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Sound-Defense-FAX-LUB-TLC100-001-Conditioner/dp/B004JWQ3PQ

But I didn't find any reviews. (Aside from the one on the manufacture's site) Does anyone know of any other reviews or any oils/cleaners made for lights specifically?

spd707
02-20-11, 20:04
I haven't tried the pencil eraser yet, but I will be soon. I just use sunglass lens cleaner and a soft cloth. The problem with this is that it does not remove all of the fouling.

wilco423
02-20-11, 23:16
I found a green scotch-brite type pad worked well, and didn't scratch the lens on my TLR1. I've been told CLR works pretty well also.

It might just be me, but it seems easier to clean the lens on an X300 than a TLR1. Anyone else have that experience?

Jerm
02-21-11, 13:08
Some of you must have much better alcohol and glass cleaners than I do. I scubbed with everything from 90% rubbing alchohol, to several different gun cleaners, CLP, and lense/glass cleaners with no luck at all...

The build-up on my X300 appeared untouched until I tried the pencil eraser.

MustangGreg66
02-21-11, 14:55
There's some good tips here. I was wondering to myself how best to clean the lense of my weapon mounted light without scratching it.

I shot my AR a few months ago with the light attached, after an afternoon of shooting rifle I tried to use the light in the evening and at close range it was fine, but it had turned into more of an area light because of the crud on the lense. It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was covered in powder residue. Rather than worrying about how to clean it in the future I think I'm going to try to re-position the light so that it doesn't get frosted in the first place.

Littlelebowski
02-21-11, 16:39
Guys, try toothpaste as a polish, applied with a Q-Tip. Better than every method I've seen listed here.

tactical221
02-22-11, 12:19
This just came up in last months swat magazine. This is for a clean lens to prevent rhe buildup. They recommended applying some sort of clear lip balm to the lens so that the carbon sticks to that rather than the lens. After shooting wipe off the lens reapply balm. Never tried it but it seems like it might work.

CLHC
02-22-11, 12:28
Never tried the Winchester Win Clean line of ammunitions, but it is purported to shoot "clean" for practice shooting. I wonder if using that particular ammo "lessens" the carbon buildup on the window of the SF.X300(?)

I simply clean mine with an almost dry Rem Oil Wipe then use a lens wipe. It works for me.

seb5
02-22-11, 18:07
The only method I use anymore is a WD-40 pen from Wal-Mart. It cleans the lens very easily and leaves a thin film which then makes it even easier the next time. I wish I could take credit for it but learned it from Pat and Mike at an EAG tactical class I took. It is the best option I've used and I've tried most.

Jimbo45
02-22-11, 19:34
This just came up in last months swat magazine. This is for a clean lens to prevent rhe buildup. They recommended applying some sort of clear lip balm to the lens so that the carbon sticks to that rather than the lens. After shooting wipe off the lens reapply balm. Never tried it but it seems like it might work.

See post #8. Guys, its easy, just put something oily on the lens before a day of training. Then it will wipe off fairly easy. Yeah, if its bone dry, and you fire hundreds of rounds out of your pistol, your tac light will be difficult to clean, no matter what method you prefer. The key is, preventing the burnt powder from sticking. ;)

RogerinTPA
02-22-11, 22:17
You can apply masking tape over the lens when training.

Slip 725 degreaser works well to clean it off.

Clean the lens after every shooting session.

As already mentioned, preventive measures (light coat of lube, vasaline, lip balm) aid in cleaning afterwards, it works.

txalex
08-31-17, 18:37
I was searching for a solution to this carbon build up problem. None of the suggestions here worked that great so I tried dilute apple cider vinegar and the buildup came right off with no work at all. Definitely using tape or some type of wax as a preventative from here on out.

Oh yeah,

I'm new here.

Hi everyone!

Alex

Adrenaline_6
09-01-17, 08:14
You could put one of these on it when you go to the range to keep it from getting dirty in the first place.

https://www.butlercreek.com/en/scope-covers/blizzard-scope-cover

The bezel diameter seems to be right in the middle of a #1 and #2 size, so I'm not sure how loose or tight each of them would be. At $8, it not too expensive to find out though.

txalex
09-01-17, 08:15
You could put one of these on it when you go to the range to keep it from getting dirty in the first place.

https://www.butlercreek.com/en/scope-covers/blizzard-scope-cover

The bezel diameter seems to be right in the middle of a #1 and #2 size, so I'm not sure how loose or tight each of them would be. At $8, it not too expensive to find out though.

Nice Find!

MegademiC
09-01-17, 09:37
I coat my lense with slip2000 to prevent caking up and seems to work.

However I forgot to for a few hundred rounds and got a buildup on the edges that mpro 7 wouldn't dissolve. I used metal polish and it was gone in about 10 seconds of rubbing.

I use a Tlr1

Adrenaline_6
09-01-17, 18:10
Nice Find!

Thanks. I use it on my VN customized S200C2 light mounted on my DDM4V5. Works great!

BuzzinSATX
09-01-17, 19:13
I use this on my vehicle windows and lens of my weapon lights. It works excellent to keep your windshield clean. It is excellent for cleaning, and when you use it often, it puts a finish on the lens that really aids in cleaning up.

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaner-Carnauba-Labs-17-50-Cans/dp/B00C43BNX4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504310985&sr=8-3&keywords=car+wax+aerosol

I'm guessing any good carbon wax would work...but I love this stuff for my vehicles.

I'll tell you one more thing that works outstanding...Ballistol

txalex
09-01-17, 19:23
Considering the particle size would be comparable with brake dust. Perhaps something like this would be helpful.

McKee's 37 Wheel Coating

http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-coating.html

voiceofreason
09-01-17, 19:36
as mentioned before... I use chap stick on the lens and just wipe it off every once in a while. I use a butler creek scope cap on the TLR1 for negligent discharges when I DO NOT want the light to be visible for any reason

Adrenaline_6
09-01-17, 22:18
as mentioned before... I use chap stick on the lens and just wipe it off every once in a while. I use a butler creek scope cap on the TLR1 for negligent discharges when I DO NOT want the light to be visible for any reason

You could get the blizzard version I linked which is see thru and it's a win-win

Dennis
09-02-17, 00:25
Think about the O-rings on the lens of the lights... I use frog lube or chapstick. I like the Butler Creek idea as well. I still have the SF red filters based on their flip caps.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
09-02-17, 09:33
Just use an old toothbrush and some toothpaste.

MattC
09-03-17, 07:53
I coat my lense with slip2000 to prevent caking up and seems to work.
This right here. It works.