PDA

View Full Version : Free Music Downloads

Cohibra45
01-10-10, 13:10
Is there such a thing? I got my son a Sanza Clip for Christmas and we are using Rhapsody, but he is not finding all the songs he wants. I am using their free 30 day subscription for now and that's the way I would like it to stay........free.

Are there any sites that you guys can recommend?

Thanks

RancidSumo
01-10-10, 13:20
TANSTAAFL

John_Wayne777
01-10-10, 17:40
Is there such a thing? I got my son a Sanza Clip for Christmas and we are using Rhapsody, but he is not finding all the songs he wants. I am using their free 30 day subscription for now and that's the way I would like it to stay........free.

Are there any sites that you guys can recommend?

Thanks

If he's into classical and jazz, then there are some resources that distribute music in the public domain.

If he's into pop, rock, etc. then "free" generally means "illegal".

Volucris
01-10-10, 20:05
Check if the Zune service is compatible. It's like $15/month for unlimited downloads from a pretty good source and you can use a program called SoundTaxi to remove the invasive DRM on the songs. Microsoft only wants you to use it on their Zunes thus the invasive DRM.

rdm
01-10-10, 22:11
Not really downloads, but if you want to stream music these aren't bad sites.

www.grooveshark.com

www.playlist.com

milosz
01-10-10, 22:21
emusic.com offers roughly five albums worth of music/month for $15-20. That's about as close as you get, keeping it legal.

Cohibra45
01-10-10, 22:39
Thanks everyone...............I thought that those things would probably be illegal.

So, what are some of the better sites??? Rhapsody charges $15/mo. and has thousands of songs, but not every one that he might want.

Is there a site that charges around the same but has 'everything'???

What are some peoples best music sites? I like listening to streaming radio, but my son would like to download and listen to his Clip.

Volucris
01-11-10, 01:07
Zune Pass is probably the most comprehensive and cost-effective of any that I've seen.

larry0071
01-11-10, 08:10
Limewire.com will let you download thier peer-to-peer software and then just about any music or movie you could wish for is out there. Many TV shows that get Ti-Vo'ed will be uploaded there within 24 hours. I use it often if I miss a show (I don't have Ti-Vo) and I use it for music for my MP3 player. This is considered illegal, so make your own choice if you want to use it or not.

I know some guys I work with use Torrents, but I've never learned how/what that really is.

Alex V
01-11-10, 08:54
Limewire.com will let you download thier peer-to-peer software and then just about any music or movie you could wish for is out there. Many TV shows that get Ti-Vo'ed will be uploaded there within 24 hours. I use it often if I miss a show (I don't have Ti-Vo) and I use it for music for my MP3 player. This is considered illegal, so make your own choice if you want to use it or not.

I know some guys I work with use Torrents, but I've never learned how/what that really is.

Limewire is way to virus infested now a days.

I get all my music through Torrents... BitTorrent.com, download the client, then go to Demonoid.com, sign up, and search away. You can download the entire album or the entire Discography of a group/artist. lol

BitTorrent rules, it will download from multiple sources at once, depending on the amount of seeders your download speeds can be pretty high. Its not unusual to see 1MB+/Sec download rates if there are enough sources.

You can get anything from music, movies, tv shows, software, games anything you can think of that comes in digital format, you can find.

Piracy on the intraweb! Woohoo!

glocktogo
01-11-10, 10:03
Rhapsody sucks. I had so many problems with it I went with Zune and have been happy since then.

chadbag
01-11-10, 13:35
Do we really want to be advocating illegal action on M4C?

Trajan
01-11-10, 14:08

Torrents and Mediafire/Megaupload/Rapidshare are the best ways of file sharing and distribution currently. It is your responsibility to know if the files you are downloading are legal or not. I personally use these methods.

Do we really want to be advocating illegal action on M4C? The methods are not illegal, it is the software/files. In theory it is meant as a freeware distribution service, but I cannot say that is how it is mostly used.

chadbag
01-11-10, 14:20
Torrents and Mediafire/Megaupload/Rapidshare are the best ways of file sharing and distribution currently. It is your responsibility to know if the files you are downloading are legal or not. I personally use these methods.

The methods are not illegal, it is the software/files. In theory it is meant as a freeware distribution service, but I cannot say that is how it is mostly used.

I was not referring to the distribution software or service. Read some of the other replies that mentioned all the sorts of cool stuff you could get from these services.

I have used torrents before to download software projects that are distributed by the project authors (commercial or opensource). They can be used for legitimate purposes...

orionz06
01-11-10, 17:01
Do we really want to be advocating illegal action on M4C?

pm's solve that issue publicly

Carne Frio
01-11-10, 22:07
Check here for info on legal music downloads::D

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/08/22/your-guide-to-music-on-the-web-part-1/

If you like old style blues, gospel, folk and cajun....it's free and legal:

http://www.juneberry78s.com/sounds/index.htm

ZDL
01-11-10, 22:56