PDA

View Full Version : SIG P6 problem

Ridge_Runner_5
01-11-10, 01:59
Bought myself a P6 as an Xmas gift, and its a great gun, very accurate, in good shape for the age (3/79 stamped on slide), but has an issue with my box of Fiocchi hollowpoints.

It'll load the round into the chamber just fine, but the slide always stops just short of locking up. If I wiggle the barrel at the chamber, it'll close the rest of the way. However, that would be a bad thing to have to deal with in case of self defense.

Any ideas? The rounds in the mag are the FMJs I keep loaded in it for now until I can determine the problem.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/GSG/ad1c01a3.jpg

Alaskapopo
01-11-10, 02:27
Older P6's don't do well with hollow points. I bought a P 225 drop in barrel for mine and now it runs on every thing.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Semi%20auto%20pistols/SigP6.jpg

JonInWA
01-11-10, 07:56
While Alaskapopo is correct (most of the P6 contract pistols were relatively early production guns, which had a deeper trough to the feed ramp, often causing problems with many current hollowpoints; later production P6/P225s have a shallower, broader feed ramp angle, eliminating the problem), your problems sound less feed ramp related than recoil spring-or indicative of a general lack of lubrication.

The P6s are surplus/obscelescent guns, with varying amounts of use and care during their service life. On any of them, I counsel immediately replacing the recoil and magazine springs, either with SIG or Wolff springs. They then need to be properly lubricated-these guns ar not Glocks or HKs-they need a decent amount of constant lubrication for consistant, reliable functioning. Particular attention needs to be paid to the slide and receiver rails, the barrel exterior, and the muzzle bushing interior-with a quality lubricant being used, with weekly inspection/reapplication as needed.

Best, Jon

aedavis
01-11-10, 12:47
What is the OAL of the Fiocchi load, and what is the bullet profile?

I have a 1979 P6 also, with the old barrel, and it feeds Speer 124gr Gold Dots just fine. I've never tried it with other HPs.

signal4l
01-11-10, 12:53
I sent an older P6 back to Sigarms to have the feedramp polished. Works fine now

UnfrozenCavemanAccountant
01-11-10, 13:04
New guy here...my P6 is a late 1980 date, yes surplus, and seems to digest FMJ and at least the WWB hollow points just as well.

I agree with Alaska above. See Sigforum.com for an extended conversation re. these little gems.