PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Time

Ga Shooter
01-11-10, 08:19
I have been shooting at a local IDPA club for 3 months now. I have a question about the time it takes. We shot a 3 gun match on Sat. I spent about 5 1/2 hours in the freezing cold to shoot 4 stages. We had about 40 shooters divided into 2 squads. We shot 10 rounds of shotgun, 25 pistol and about 75 rifle. It was a lot of fun so don't get me wrong but it seems as if it could move a little faster. Is this normal or is something moving it to slow? :confused:

Cold
01-11-10, 10:17
Was this match in GA? If so where at? I have an idea but am not sure they had a MG match this weekend.

It all depends on how the club wishes to handle match administration, the number of bays available to the match itself, and honestly how well organized the Match director is. There are several very good multi gun/3 gun matches in GA or East Alabama. In fact East Alabama Gun Club (right out side of Columbus) is having their Multi Gun Match Jan 31st (5th Sunday in Jan) in a few weeks, its an AWESOME match, well run, with very good shooters and great people willing to help new shooters, great bays and excellent stages.

More info here

http://www.eagunclub.com/

they have some pics and video of their multi gun match from Nov 09 on their as well.

If I can help more, please feel free to message me or post questions.

glocktogo
01-11-10, 10:43
It depends. Having run everything from local matches with 20 people to the IDPA National Championship, I can tell you that it isn't easy to run a match. The first rule is safety, then match flow and administration.

How many Safety Officers do they have? How experienced are they? Are the 4 stages in 4 separate bays that can be run independent of each other? Is it a cold range or a hot range? If a cold range, is there sufficient room to have an additional SO safely load and make ready the next competitor while scoring and resetting the stage?

I can tell you that 20 person squads is way too big. 7-12 people per squad is ideal and I prefer about 8-9. That gives enough people to officiate, tape and reset the stage while the shooter on deck and in the hole focus on shooting their match instead of working. More than that and you wind up with people off gabbing and not helping keep up the flow.

It's not as easy as it looks, but there are a lot of little tricks that can really help a match flow smoothly. After running almost 360 shooters through a 17 stage 240 round match, I can tell you that there's a lot to be learned. :)

ToddG
01-11-10, 12:54
It's hard to assess without more details. Did that 5.5 hours include set-up and tear down? Were there dedicated ROs or were people in the squad "helping?" Did folks get the pasting and resetting of targets done quickly or were there just a couple of guys doing all the work? Were the stages complicated? Were there a lot of re-shoots?

I'd agree, 20-person squads is insane.

You're never going to shoot as much at a match as you could on your own in the same length of time. The match gives you an opportunity to challenge yourself against someone else's stage ideas and compare yourself to your peers. Getting hung up on round count is a mistake.

On the other hand, if things were "moving slow" for no reason other than a bunch of buds were hanging out and enjoying a lazy day, you might just be stuck. Each club tends to set its own unique pace and sometimes there are more guys trying to delay going home to chores as there are guys who want to get more done or get done quicker.

Sam
01-11-10, 13:37
I have been shooting at a local IDPA club for 3 months now. I have a question about the time it takes. We shot a 3 gun match on Sat.

Was this an "IDPA" 3 gun match? or a "3 gun match" held at an IDPA club?
FYI, IDPA doesn't "normally" have 3 gun matches, although that doesn't stop a local club from going rogue :) and do their own.

A 3 gun event is usually held under the sanction of USPSA.

Ga Shooter
01-11-10, 14:12
It was a 3 gun match held at a IDPA club. I do realize that I can get more "time" out of shooting on my own it just seemed that there was a lot of waiting involved. There were 8 SOs but with the 2 squads only 4 worked at any given time. Everyone went forward to help paste. One of the problems was weapon malfunctions. When someone went forward and had a problem they would allow them to work on the weapon for 5-10 min instead of putting them further back in the line. I know a lot of they guys in this club and they are great guys and I do have fun I was just wondering if there were any tips to help things move a little quicker. The time did not include set up or take down or travel time.

glocktogo
01-11-10, 15:33
It was a 3 gun match held at a IDPA club. I do realize that I can get more "time" out of shooting on my own it just seemed that there was a lot of waiting involved. There were 8 SOs but with the 2 squads only 4 worked at any given time. Everyone went forward to help paste. One of the problems was weapon malfunctions. When someone went forward and had a problem they would allow them to work on the weapon for 5-10 min instead of putting them further back in the line. I know a lot of they guys in this club and they are great guys and I do have fun I was just wondering if there were any tips to help things move a little quicker. The time did not include set up or take down or travel time.

Break the 2 squads to 4. Train more SO's. If they allow reshoots, move the shooter whose gear fails off the line with another SO to clear and safe the gun(s). Reset the stage and get the next shooter on the line. The shooter with the reshoot moves to the bottom. If you have enough SO's, dedicate one to load the next shooter to the line at a side berm (if it can be done safely), at least for the holstered pistol.

If you're just there shooting and not helping SO, don't be surprised if they don't want tips on improvements. It comes across a lot easier if the person making the suggestions is holding a timer. :)

A rewrite of the IDPA rulebook is in the works. It will include multi-gun rules for those who would like to have IDPA matches that include the use of rifles and shotguns.

ToddG
01-11-10, 16:05
A rewrite of the IDPA rulebook is in the works

When they un-&^@# the reload rules and allow AIWB, someone give me a call. I miss IDPA.

glocktogo
01-11-10, 17:28
When they un-&^@# the reload rules and allow AIWB, someone give me a call. I miss IDPA.

Yeah, I wish that and the cover rules would get fixed. Don't think it's going to happen though. :(

glockshooter
01-11-10, 19:09
As a 3GUN match director, I agree with the others that stated a 20 person squad is ridiculous. It makes zero sense to have 4 bays, 8 ROs, 40 shooters, and to only run 2 squads. As a matter of fact if I wanted to dick my match up completely I cant think of a much better way than a 20 man squad. I run four stages and four squads. I usually only have one person per squad that is designated as the RO. I almost always have 2-3 trained and experienced ROs per squad that can relieve my designated RO.

The other really stupid thing is if a gun malfuctions or breaks they stop to fix the gun. The clock keep counting regardsless of a malfuction. You either clear it and move on, or transition to another weapon if is is possible/breakage. An example would be if your long gun fails transition to your pistol. Of course this is not always possible, and if that is the case the time is written down and the targets are scored good or bad. I have never been on the bad side of a broken gun before, but I have lost matches due to a malfuction. I guess the best thing to do is make sure your gun works.

Matt

Ga Shooter
01-13-10, 09:43
Thanks for all the input. I will make suggestions at our meeting before the next match.

PT Doc
01-13-10, 15:47

Is AIWB a strict NOGO, or do local clubs have leeway to let you shoot the course AIWB, but not receive a score?

glocktogo
01-13-10, 16:12
Is AIWB a strict NOGO, or do local clubs have leeway to let you shoot the course AIWB, but not receive a score?

Sanctioned matches are suposed to be run in strict adherence to the rulebook. With that said, I've seen plenty that weren't.

As far as allowed equipment, I've seen clubs fudge on local matches. Our club will let you shoot "outlaw" and you can use your IPSC rig if you want. You just keep your scoresheets and you can compare your scores to the posted ones if you want.

I shot a local match with a P-32 from a pocket holster once, just because I wanted to exercise my BUG skills. It was one of the more enjoyable matches I've shot.