PDA

View Full Version : peq laser?

liftman
01-11-10, 20:09
I see all this talk of peq this and peq that, so I went on a search today to get more info about this infamous laser. Come to find out they are not only very pricy (one version at $2200) but only available to Military and LEO. Why is that? What makes them so special, because it seems there is a number of people running this system? If a civi is unable to purchase one from a retailer, are they also unable to purchase a used one (read; "be in posession")? Is there a civi model of this thing?

Sorry for all the questions, curiosity has got me on this one. And a search here didn't provide any real answers to my questions that I could find anyway.

shittercrewchief
01-11-10, 20:38
One of the biggest reason for the price is that these are IR lasers which makes them a class 3 b laser. Which is restricted.

MIKE G
01-11-10, 21:09

jsebens
01-12-10, 00:04
The only "civvie" PEQ that I'm aware of is the PEQ-5 (Insight CVL). I see websites advertising them from 500-950, but don't see them in stock anywhere.

J_Hernandez
01-12-10, 00:41
wishing i could get my hands on a PEQ 15, PEQ 16's look pretty too lol

16 on left 15 on right

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/clt2/huge/P1010438.jpg

vietboy1st
01-12-10, 13:27
most us marines and army guys were issued PEQ 15 now. I saw somebody is selling a used Peq 2 for $450 and it looks shitty. Beside i don't need it as civilian. It is useless. Not like you are going to shoot anybody at night with it... unless for hunting lol:D

All i wonder is when they are going to get their hands on Dragon skin armor.

Iraqgunz
01-13-10, 05:02
I was very fortunate to get my AN/PEQ-2A and would be very hard pressed to sell it or my PVS-14.

liftman
01-13-10, 21:52
Thanks for all the info!

It sounds like it would be a huge waste of money for me to look for one of these.

About the peq 5 though, as that is the only one that would really suite my needs, are there any benefit to these opposed to another cheaper brand? Believe me when I say I am not against paying for a top product, because lets face it we all know most of the time you get what you pay for. But is there any real difference between a peq 5 laser and any other top shelf laser? Options, durability?

Also on a side note. In the pics above what is with the blue allen head screws in the area of the selector switch? Block out unused features for civilian use maybe?

jsebens
01-13-10, 22:00
Thanks for all the info!

It sounds like it would be a huge waste of money for me to look for one of these.

About the peq 5 though, as that is the only one that would really suite my needs, are there any benefit to these opposed to another cheaper brand? Believe me when I say I am not against paying for a top product, because lets face it we all know most of the time you get what you pay for. But is there any real difference between a peq 5 laser and any other top shelf laser? Options, durability?

Also on a side note. In the pics above what is with the blue allen head screws in the area of the selector switch? Block out unused features for civilian use maybe?

My understanding (and take that for what it's worth, in addition to the fact that I'm selling my PEQ-5, so I obviously am not married to it) is that the PEQ-5/CVL has met military standards that other visible lasers haven't; one of the reasons I liked it was the AA battery instead of something goofy, too. I bought an Insight laser for the same reason I bought a Surefire light; I expect it to work when I need it to. I've had bad experiences with Lasermax (personal), and seen bad experiences with Crimson Trace.

Iraqgunz
01-13-10, 22:06
The blue screw is the setting that is used for training purposes similar to the setting that is on the PEQ-2A.

Thanks for all the info!

Ak44
01-13-10, 22:08
Maaaan I wish I could of gotten a Peq15 when I was in...I was still using a Peq 2. Thank god I got at least a PVS14 :cool:

liftman
01-13-10, 22:22
My understanding (and take that for what it's worth, in addition to the fact that I'm selling my PEQ-5, so I obviously am not married to it) is that the PEQ-5/CVL has met military standards that other visible lasers haven't; one of the reasons I liked it was the AA battery instead of something goofy, too. I bought an Insight laser for the same reason I bought a Surefire light; I expect it to work when I need it to. I've had bad experiences with Lasermax (personal), and seen bad experiences with Crimson Trace.

Pm sent.

MIKE G
01-13-10, 22:26

Titleist
01-13-10, 23:14
They sure are pretty looking (Shameless plug):

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2607/3948479756_5a8e368cf7_o.jpg

davidf
01-20-10, 09:18
most us marines and army guys were issued PEQ 15 now. I saw somebody is selling a used Peq 2 for $450 and it looks shitty. Beside i don't need it as civilian. It is useless. Not like you are going to shoot anybody at night with it... unless for hunting lol:D

All i wonder is when they are going to get their hands on Dragon skin armor.Do you have the link where you saw it for sale. I'd apprecate it. David

Iraq Ninja
01-20-10, 10:45
I too have a PEQ 2a and a PEQ15 back home. They are great for hunting hogs at night. Also useful for shining in the eyes of stray dogs or Iranians you don't want hanging around :)

The 15 takes up a lot less rail space. What I don't understand is why they still use the crappy lens cover straps. They tend to break when used a lot. What I ended up doing was gluing a small piece of IV tubing to connect the broken parts.

I have played with mounting it at different locations. I prefer the top rail, close to the fixed FSB. It works farther back, but the light tends to bounce back towards you, which may be a problem in some situations.

A lot of the troops I see here are issued a mix of both types. I see a lot of the Comp M2 and even Comp M aimpoints in use, which goes to show how rugged they truly are.

Outlander Systems
01-20-10, 11:45
So who's got an LA-5 they wanna sell me?

JSantoro
01-22-10, 00:35
The 2a takes up a lot less rail space.

Dude, c'mon........:D

What I don't understand is why they still use the crappy lens cover straps. They tend to break when used a lot. What I ended up doing was gluing a small piece of IV tubing to connect the broken parts.

On the mil side, the armories are supposed to procure something like 140% redundancy of both ND/opaque caps and tape switches, based solely on what is known to be a high failure rate on both. We've been trying to move them on using some other material for years...

What sort of glue do you use? Can you send me a pic of your fix, please? If it's a viable option, it might be something I can suggest to our users when they skyline me over that very issue (the fact that I'm not a vendor representative does not compute all the time). I've seen some doozies involving condoms, boot bands, all kinds of stuff. A for effort, F for execution-type stuff.

For those who might like to know, we're seeing a lot of issues with the PEQ-16As, particularly in regard to the laser node getting knocked completely off if impacted while ingressing/egressing vehicles. The white light bulbs pop a lot, too, so multiple backups of them are recommended...if ever you manage to procure this highly restricted item. ;)

Iraq Ninja
01-22-10, 08:11
Ah, sorry for the typo!

I don't have my PEQ with me here. But, I think I can describe the fix for you. Mine always broke apart in the middle. I took a very small length of clear tubing from a Blood transfusion kit and used Gorilla Glue. Any large diameter tubing will work. I rolled the broken ends into a half moon shape and stuck them into the tubing.
I fill the tubing with some GG. Try and line the ends up so that they are touching, otherwise the caps will end up being loose.

DesertRat
01-29-10, 13:47
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38428

Sold it at SAR for $2,500.

wolverineSIERRA
02-19-10, 16:11
I too have a PEQ 2a and a PEQ15 back home. They are great for hunting hogs at night. Also useful for shining in the eyes of stray dogs or Iranians you don't want hanging around :)

The 15 takes up a lot less rail space. What I don't understand is why they still use the crappy lens cover straps. They tend to break when used a lot. What I ended up doing was gluing a small piece of IV tubing to connect the broken parts.

I have played with mounting it at different locations. I prefer the top rail, close to the fixed FSB. It works farther back, but the light tends to bounce back towards you, which may be a problem in some situations.

A lot of the troops I see here are issued a mix of both types. I see a lot of the Comp M2 and even Comp M aimpoints in use, which goes to show how rugged they truly are.

pretty stupid remark there, sound like true idiot

Andy0331
02-19-10, 16:42

Hey pot, this is kettle...

Aside from some sad personal offense one might take about his first line (that includes a smiley no less), what's your problem, other than grammar & lack of punctuation?

NCPatrolAR
02-19-10, 23:50

You need to check the attitude. Also check your PMs for the infraction notification.