PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Proof Mind

CHGO5OH
01-11-10, 21:47
I attended a class today (Bullet Proof Mind) that was given by Ret. Lt Col Dave Grossman. This class was outstanding and informative. I highly recommend this class for all you L.E.O's. The class is very motivational and makes you look at things differently. I find myself falling asleep in the majority of the classes I take, but this one really was an exception. I'm surprised my department funded this class, they even added an extra class because of high demand from the officers. You cant go wrong with this class!

woodandsteel
01-11-10, 23:25
I know that there are some here who have issues with Lt. Col. Grossman. But, after reading his book On Combat, and hearing from friends who attended some of his seminars, I would love to be able to hear him in person.

CHGO5OH
01-11-10, 23:37
I know that there are some here who have issues with Lt. Col. Grossman. But, after reading his book On Combat, and hearing from friends who attended some of his seminars, I would love to be able to hear him in person.

Really? It must have been a bad one because he seems like a stand up kinda guy. I got his book on "On Killing". Cant wait to read that one, he even signed it. He keeps you up, that's for sure.

woodandsteel
01-11-10, 23:48
Really? It must have been a bad one because he seems like a stand up kinda guy. I got his book on "On Killing". Cant wait to read that one, he even signed it. He keeps you up, that's for sure.

It's not that bad. And I personally think he is a stand up guy. And as far as LEO's are concerned they should read his books.

It's just that, when you (in this case Grossman) put your opinions out there, you tend to have people disagree with you. Some question his stance on video games and his "stop teaching our children to kill". Others here will promote him, his books and his lectures.

Didn't mean to discourage you. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut.:D

If you are interested in other reading, try John Giduck's book; Terror at Beslan.

fog0fwar
01-11-10, 23:58
I have seen both Col. Grossman and John Giduck. To me both are stand up guys and both are very good speakers... I highly recommend both seminars...

Fog

CHGO5OH
01-12-10, 00:22
It's not that bad. And I personally think he is a stand up guy. And as far as LEO's are concerned they should read his books.

It's just that, when you (in this case Grossman) put your opinions out there, you tend to have people disagree with you. Some question his stance on video games and his "stop teaching our children to kill". Others here will promote him, his books and his lectures.

Didn't mean to discourage you. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut.:D

If you are interested in other reading, try John Giduck's book; Terror at Beslan.

No harm done here, I'm waiting for his next seminar.

Cascades236
01-12-10, 01:50
Excellent seminar, I'd see it again in a heartbeat. Grossman loves his mil and Leo warriors and knows how to speak to us. On killing and on combat are both worthy reads for every sheepdog.

Iraq Ninja
01-12-10, 08:13
Really? It must have been a bad one because he seems like a stand up kinda guy.

Most of the problems stem from his first book and the data he used from Marshall.

Oh, and his bio on his website upsets a few Real Rangers, though he is quick to point out in person that he is only Ranger qualified, and never served in a Ranger unit.

There is a MP3 version of his lectures floating around on the internet. I actually found it very interesting.

glocktogo
01-12-10, 09:35
I've seen him in person at a SWAT convention. Pretty good seminar and he had everyone's attention, including our Lt. Governor. What he has to say is not very PC and I appreciate anyone who speaks frankly and honestly to our elected officials.

Outlander Systems
01-12-10, 10:06
"Col. Grossman argues that that the techniques used by armies to train soldiers to kill are mirrored in certain types of video games. The conclusion he draws is that playing violent video games, particularly first-person shooters, train children in the use of weapons and, more importantly, harden them emotionally to the task of murder by simulating the killing of hundreds or thousands of opponents in a single typical video game."

"And it came to pass that night, that the angel of the LORD went out, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians an hundred fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses." 2 Kings 19:35

Just sayin'. Sometimes bad-guys need killin'.

CarlosDJackal
01-12-10, 11:42
I have seen both Col. Grossman and John Giduck. To me both are stand up guys and both are very good speakers... I highly recommend both seminars...

Fog

+ Infinity.

My favorite (paraphrased) quote from LTC Grossman:

"What is a golf course? A fine waste of a good rifle range!!" :D

Jerm
01-12-10, 13:44

On Combat is the only thing I have to go by...

It's not necessarily his stance that's the issue(for me).It's the fact he goes on ad nauseam about the issue when he clearly hasn't a clue about what a video game even looks like...Well,maybe the one game(I couldn't tell you what it is) that he decided he would generalize and condemn all others based on.

On Combat had multiple(often repeated) remarks that I doubt would be well received in the terminal ballistics forum.

...Aside from that it was very repetitive.

I will say that I thought the portion of the book(1/3 to 1/2 of it~) that actually fit the subject matter I was expecting(based on the title) was very good stuff...The first time it was covered...And maybe even the second.

9Y10C
01-12-10, 14:26
I was invited last year by a local professional in Idaho to attend a seminar presented by Col. Grossman. My main reason for attending was because I had read his article on "Sheepdogs" and wanted to view him in person. I also spent some personal time with him before and after. Although not meant for everyone, his main lecture thoughts are directed toward a readiness mindset for tactical situations and utilizing the study of past incidents to improve one's performance. He readily admits his shortcomings. When questioned, he always offers an honest forthright answer or opinion. My personal opinion is that he is a reasonable man with a sense of humor and a great sense of justice. He absolutely doesn't like bad guys, either foreign or domestic. Col. Grossman is one whom I would share my rice with when rice becomes scarce...
DK

PRGGodfather
01-12-10, 15:38
LTC Grossman is a good man -- and we are never expected to agree 100% with ANY man. Those looking for a god, will not find one in LTC Grossman. Those looking for a good man will undoubtedly recognize him as one.

Jerm
01-12-10, 17:01
LTC Grossman is a good man

I'm can't say I've seen anyone question that.

I'm personally just not a big fan of his book(On Combat).

CHGO5OH
01-13-10, 23:09
Just sayin'. Sometimes bad-guys need killin'.

Or really good ass whooping! R u on the PD in ATL?

CHGO5OH
01-13-10, 23:10
+ Infinity.

My favorite (paraphrased) quote from LTC Grossman:

"What is a golf course? A fine waste of a good rifle range!!" :D

His saying in our seminar was "Piss on Golf!"

mattjmcd
01-13-10, 23:13
I have "Bullet Proof Mind" on CD. It's worthwhile, IMO.