PDA

View Full Version : Makarov's, which to buy?

Glockster35
03-24-07, 19:16
I was in a local shop today looking for a BUG, saw a few KelTec's, and Makarovs. The Mak's were Polish, Hungarian and East German, all around $189.

The Polish were very nice, with a trigger pull I would guesstimate to be about 10 pounds. Hungarians were stainless lowers, black slides, and were decent to fair quality, trigger pull was about 8 pounds. The East Germans (guy didn't know for sure, and it wasn't stamped into the pistol), were by far the worst, the trigger on one COULD NOT be pulled, and the second one had what I would think was about a 20 pound trigger pull! No Kidding.

Is therre an issue I should be looking at on the East Germans, I think I had read once, that the East German were supposed to be the best quality!

TOrrock
03-24-07, 20:53
The Polish and Hungarian pistols are NOT Makarov's, they are closer to the Walther PP series.

The Polish P64 is the smallest of the lot, and they are well built pistols. There are some cures for the atrocious double action pull.

The Hungarian PA63 is basically a straight Walther PP clone with an aluminum frame. Again, decently made.

Real Makarovs are going to be Russian, Bulgarian, East German, and a few Chinese examples.

If you have an opportunity to get an East German or Bulgarian Makarov, I'd go with that.

The Makarovs are more robust pistols than the Polish or Hungarian pieces, and there is an entire cottage industry set up for grips and accessories for them.

Another choice you could look at are the Czech vz-82's that AIM Surplus and a few others (J&G). They're robust, reliable, and very ergonomic.

*edited to add....if you can really get an East German Makarov for that price buy as many as you can, they typically go for much more. Make sure it's really East German and really a Makarov though.*

My Bulgarian Makarov......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Makarov%20PM/NewStuff003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Makarov%20PM/NewStuff002.jpg

I was in a local shop today looking for a BUG, saw a few KelTec's, and Makarovs. The Mak's were Polish, Hungarian and East German, all around $189.

The Polish were very nice, with a trigger pull I would guesstimate to be about 10 pounds. Hungarians were stainless lowers, black slides, and were decent to fair quality, trigger pull was about 8 pounds. The East Germans (guy didn't know for sure, and it wasn't stamped into the pistol), were by far the worst, the trigger on one COULD NOT be pulled, and the second one had what I would think was about a 20 pound trigger pull! No Kidding.

Is therre an issue I should be looking at on the East Germans, I think I had read once, that the East German were supposed to be the best quality!

Zip06
03-24-07, 22:45
Glockster35, the pistols you saw are not true Makarov's. They fire the same round, 9x18 (Makarov) and dealers often call these Polish P-64's and Hungarian P-63's a Makarov which they are not. The only true Maks look like the one in the picture posted by Templar and are manufactured in Russia, East Germany, Bulgaria or Red China.

You are correct that many consider the East German Mak the pick of the litter but all of them are very reliable.

Shihan
03-25-07, 03:55
The Bulgarian is normally considered the best buy, but like these good folks saty the East Germ is the way to go. I cant imagine picking one up under 200 bones.

Striker5
03-25-07, 19:13
I had an E German which I sold and have hated myself ever since. It was more than accurate enough for defensive purposes and the overall quality and finish was superior to even the Russian ones I've seen. The trigger pull on mine was very smooth and reasonable. The one you tried must have been a freak. Cheaper than Dirt had E. german grips for sale and on it went! That was one of the best $180 expenditures ever. If it's anything like mine, the front sight doubles as a deadly cutting instrument.

wild_wild_wes
02-01-08, 23:46
I second Striker5's remarks. My East German (Earnst Thaelman Works) has excellent fit and finish.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/pseudonominus/mak.jpg

So, while we are on the topic of Makarovs...what ammo is the best for self-defence situations?

TOrrock
02-02-08, 02:05
I second Striker5's remarks. My East German (Earnst Thaelman Works) has excellent fit and finish.

So, while we are on the topic of Makarovs...what ammo is the best for self-defence situations?

VERY nice DDR Mak!

As far as ammo goes.....I personally use the Hornaday XTP load for mine, I wish Speer still loaded their Gold Dot for it.

There's also a school of thought that you should stick with FMJ rounds for the increased penetration.

wild_wild_wes
02-02-08, 12:34
FMJs for increased penetration...is that just for Maks, or for other pistols as well?

I currently have my home protection USP .45 loaded with FMJs, and wondered if I should go to more exotic ammo.

TOrrock
02-02-08, 12:53
FMJs for increased penetration...is that just for Maks, or for other pistols as well?

I currently have my home protection USP .45 loaded with FMJs, and wondered if I should go to more exotic ammo.

That's pretty much just for .380 ACP and 9x18mm, and it's one school of thought, I prefer to use a decent JHP.

In your .45 ACP I'd look at the Speer 230 gr. Gold Dot or the Winchester Ranger SXT 230 gr. JHP.

andrew10736
08-04-08, 16:30
east german all the way :D

batgeek
08-04-08, 17:26
east german all the way :D

i agree!

http://www.atvnc.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10160/HPIM0824_%28Small%29.JPG

Scattergun
08-04-08, 19:49
I have a Russian and a Bulgarian. I like the Bulgarian better than the Russian because of the fixed site and use it as a carry gun.

RogerinTPA
08-04-08, 21:28

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/pseudonominus/mak.jpg

That is one fine weapon you got there. Great catch. :cool:I own a CZ82. Got it form J&G sales. It's a good little gun, great ergonomics and surprisingly accurate. I have search for ammo but the only one available seems to be the Hornady XTP HP's, so that's what I went with.

andrew10736
08-05-08, 07:08
A lot of people swear by the Powrball stuff .. Better feeding these guns were designed to eat FMJ