PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 Mag Follower Difference

rjacobs
01-12-10, 18:10
I picked up 4 new 17 round mags for my MP9 today. The follower that is on them is different from the 3 that came with my gun. I know they had an update out for the followers, but the only thing I can find on them is the old ones were black and the new ones are gray. All of the magazines I have have gray followers. The ones that came with the gun have a 9 molded into them, the new ones I just bought do not. The followers also come about 1/4" from touching the back of the mag body, where as the ones that came with the gun fill up the whole magazine body. I called S&W and the guy was clueless, no help at all.

Top is the new mag, bottom is the original
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_1012.jpg

The followers in the new mag's look almost like they are designed for the .40 as the area that the round would sit in is larger than the one in the original mags.

Anybody have any insight on the difference?

MichaelD
01-12-10, 18:40
The top one in your pic is the generation of follower just previous to the bottom one in your pic... that is, the top one is an older design.

I really haven't noticed much difference in function between the two.

rjacobs
01-12-10, 18:44
So the ones in my new mags are the 2nd gen(1st gen being the black followers) and the ones in my original mags that came with the gun are the 3rd gen?

I have obviously not shot these yet so I dont know about function, just thought it was weird to buy new mags and have them be an old follower design.

Anybody know the part number for the new followers with the 9 molded into them?

MichaelD
01-12-10, 18:48
Yes, the followers in the top magazine are at least second-generation.

As for the part number, I know there's a post over on MP-Pistol.com with it.

In all reality, though, if you call S&W and request some new followers they'll send some like the one in the bottom magazine.

GaryXD
01-12-10, 18:56
So the ones in my new mags are the 2nd gen(1st gen being the black followers) and the ones in my original mags that came with the gun are the 3rd gen?

I have obviously not shot these yet so I dont know about function, just thought it was weird to buy new mags and have them be an old follower design.

Anybody know the part number for the new followers with the 9 molded into them?

You are correct about the 3 generations of followers.

I'm guessing the mags you just bought are old stock.

You can order the followers from S&W and you'll get the newest generation. Right now they are out of stock though. I have some on backorder.

rjacobs
01-12-10, 19:04
You are correct about the 3 generations of followers.

I'm guessing the mags you just bought are old stock.

You can order the followers from S&W and you'll get the newest generation. Right now they are out of stock though. I have some on backorder.

Do you have a part number by chance?

I dont really have a problem with the followers as long as they work, I just know that followers are usually what causes mags to be finicky. There is also usually a reason why followers are re-designed. I can tell that the ones that are in the mags(2nd gen) have a bad tilt problem where as the ones in my original mags(3rd gen) do not have a problem with tilt.

GaryXD
01-13-10, 18:53
Do you have a part number by chance?

I dont really have a problem with the followers as long as they work, I just know that followers are usually what causes mags to be finicky. There is also usually a reason why followers are re-designed. I can tell that the ones that are in the mags(2nd gen) have a bad tilt problem where as the ones in my original mags(3rd gen) do not have a problem with tilt.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/other/PistolPartsList_Retail.pdf

Boris
01-13-10, 20:34
... the ones that are in the mags(2nd gen) have a bad tilt problem where as the ones in my original mags(3rd gen) do not have a problem with tilt.

My three 9mm mags purchased in Dec '06 (1st gen I presume) look like the top one in your OP pic and have that gap behind the follower. Even some of my newer black follower mags have that gap. With the gray follower mags, I experience an occasional problem with tilt but only when loading and trying to use the witness holes to count rounds. Still, after close to 10,000 rds through the three mags combined, they still feed properly.

Robb Jensen
01-13-10, 20:49
FWIW I've never had a stoppage in 40K+ rounds using gray followers regardless of follower generation. IIRC the reason 9mm followers are now gray is because S&W was mistakenly putting black .40 followers in 9mm mags sometimes. This did cause problems.