PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a 7.62 AR

Bobert0989
01-13-10, 05:15
I have been tossing around the idea of building a decent-grade AR-10 rifle, and am currently torn between buliding this or buying a Bullpup MSAR. I definately want one or the other, but here's my dilemma...

CAN I build a decent AR-10, optics NOT included, at around $1600 - $1800?

IF I go this route, I prefer an 18" or 20", require free-float (LT preferred, if money allows), and definately want the Magpul PRS.

As said above, I'm not looking for the BEST, just something fun to shoot. Think closer to DPMS than Noveske...

Can you folks throw some parts and ideas my way for this possible build?

I greatly appreciate any and all advice you will give me. IF it is possible in my budget, I would love to proceed with this project. Thanks!

~Bobby

MacGyver
01-13-10, 21:24
In my opinion when choosing which 7.62x51mm AR to build, the most important thing for you to determine is what magazine pattern you want to use and then go from there. I chose the SR25 pattern since thats what Magpul PMAGs are designed for, and they've become readily available at a great price. From there I went with DPMS because it was the best deal on a stripped lower I could find anywhere.

Like yourself I would have preferred to use a Larue rail, however they only make AR10 compatible ones. Therefore if you go with DPMS you'll have to use one of the other manufacturers. In my case I went with Daniel Defense.

JPB
01-13-10, 23:56
I believe that an Armalite (16" or 20" CL barrel) is in your price range.

Bobert0989
01-14-10, 04:26
In my opinion when choosing which 7.62x51mm AR to build, the most important thing for you to determine is what magazine pattern you want to use and then go from there. I chose the SR25 pattern since thats what Magpul PMAGs are designed for, and they've become readily available at a great price. From there I went with DPMS because it was the best deal on a stripped lower I could find anywhere.

Like yourself I would have preferred to use a Larue rail, however they only make AR10 compatible ones. Therefore if you go with DPMS you'll have to use one of the other manufacturers. In my case I went with Daniel Defense.

I have heard many people discussing some extraction issues with the AR-10 platform. What is the most reliable magazine pattern? I am a huge fan of Magpul stuff, but definately want the most reliable when it comes to that area of concern.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, I'm thinking right now that I am going to let the users on this forum "build" this rifle for me, by gathering different opinions and experiences with the various brands of products on the market. It's all new for me, so you guys PICK the PARTS, and help me build my budget-friendly rifle.

-Remember, total build goal is to stay below $1800.
-Must be 7.62 (.308)
-Prefer 18" or 20" barrel
-Prefer Quad-rail HG, but open to ideas / willing to sacrafice for now to keep budget.
-Optics/mount NOT included in build cost. Already have my scope ;)
-Really would like to include the Magpul PRS stock, but still open to ideas.
-No hider/brake needed. Want bull-barrel design.

THANKS!

Let's get started!

nismo1013
01-14-10, 11:59
Start here...

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/index.htm

:cool:

Bobert0989
01-14-10, 18:18
Start here...

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/index.htm

:cool:

Why this particular company? Any real reason, or just a personal preference? I'm not trying to oppose you by any means, just curious. I have absolutely NO experience in these builds.

Norcal911
01-15-10, 00:54
I'm in a similar position with my DPMS lower. I sold the upper because I needed money and I've been doing as much research as possible for how its going to go back together. Please do not take any of my thoughts, comments, or opinions as any sort of fact, its all been based on opinions and research, not experience.

I went with the DPMS because it was cheap and it takes the Magpul mags. I was not terribly impressed with the 24" heavy barrel upper. It wasn't bad, its wasn't great, but it was heavy. Sold it after 40 rounds or so with the intention of building a better upper down the road when funds are more available. I like the Fulton builds, mostly because while they are not cheap, they don't cost a fortune and they build around a Krieger barrel and DMPS pattern, so it will take the Magpuls. I had Bill Spingfield do the trigger as I'm on a budget. Works well, nice and light, no doubles as I've seen mentioned before (of course that's only 40 rounds I put down the old heavy upper). So far that's where I stand, probably going to have Fulton build a 18" upper, probably go with full length Daniels Defense rail, and either a PRS stock or the ACS. I think if you take it easy on the options, Fulton's uppers are around $1100. While its not very fact based, I hope it helps a little, or at least gets you looking in some other directions-Norcal911

MacGyver
01-15-10, 09:14
Why this particular company? Any real reason, or just a personal preference? I'm not trying to oppose you by any means, just curious. I have absolutely NO experience in these builds.

Rock Creek barrels have an exemplary track record in precision rifles, both semi auto and bolt guns. Mike Rock's company belongs to a very small club of exceptional barrel makers.

nismo1013
01-15-10, 12:07
Rock Creek barrels have an exemplary track record in precision rifles, both semi auto and bolt guns. Mike Rock's company belongs to a very small club of exceptional barrel makers.

What he said.

Norcal911
01-15-10, 13:36
Forgot to add that Fulton offers a side charging handle. I rather see it on the left side like the REPR or ASA, but I think even a reciprocating side charger on the right side is an advantage if you are ever going to do any extended bench work. May be a liability in CQB and/or dusty (no cover) situations but I'm not familiar enough with a side charging handle's manual of arms to comment intelligently. For what I'm going to build mine for, I would prefer the side charger-Norcal911

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-16-10, 18:32
Besides GAP, who I think has a year (?) backlog of AR10 work, what other gunsmiths out there are known for their AR10 work and will build a custom rifle? I've seen lots of info and there a lot of people that I know will make a custom spec'd ar15, I just don't know that many ar10 smiths. Finishing a lower is not an issue, it is getting an upper put together and spec'ing the gas system so it works reliably is more of an issue.

bmwguy
01-16-10, 22:43
I am currently buying parts myself to put together an AR 308 rifle.
These are my opinions
From my research..
First, decide which magazine configuration you are after. whether ar-10 or the DPMS LR type. From my reading on the forums. IMO Seems the Armalite AR-10 is a higher quality overall but the magazines will cost more. Perhaps you get what you pay for comes into play. You do not save that much money by building the AR-10 type weapon. When I priced the individual parts, it came out about the same as buying a complete upper. Keeping in mind your total cost is very doable. You can pick up a receiver for around 200ish. Add the LPK for and stock you're looking 400 to 500ish. Then I would go ahead and buy a complete upper for 1100. You'll have a complete rifle for 1500 to 1600.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-17-10, 01:42
My feeling is that outside of the merits of the systems, the KAC/DPMS system will win over the Armalite AR10 system . KAC has the MIL contract for the sniper rifle and with the Magpul LR20 mags now, you have cheap, reliable, repeatable mags. The AR10 may be technically a better system, but it seems to be the Beta to KAC's VHS and Blue-Ray.

I really do like the idea of the lug modification on the AR Bolt. Are there any down sides to the AR10 firing pin spring difference? Not an issue I guess if you are shooting mil-surplus ammo, but would it really make a difference with handloads and commercial primers?

The only adjustable gas block I can think of for the AR10s is the JP gas blocks? Are there any others?

Bobert0989
01-17-10, 14:26
Lots of great info flowing in here now!

Now we should start posting links, prices, and pics if applicable. I'll start by saying that I like the stainless bull-barrel design, but if I plan on doing some sort of camo-paint job, I should probably stick with the traditional black anodized-look.

Which pattern do you all prefer?

Also decided I would like the 20" bull-barrel with probably a handguard at least 12", but can be longer. And I want to use Magpul mags, and still want the PRS, but grips are up in the air for now. What looks best?

Let's get started!

HeavyDuty
07-24-10, 08:39
Bobby - did you ever pursue this project? I've been considering building a 7.62x51 AR myself and am trying to read up on other people's experiences.

Bobert0989
07-24-10, 23:14
Bobby - did you ever pursue this project? I've been considering building a 7.62x51 AR myself and am trying to read up on other people's experiences.

I had a 20" barrel, upper reciever, PRS, and 12" Free-float, and sold the project to a co-worker. He is finishing it on his dime, my funding went somewhere else (1968 Camaro SS)...

I have to say that Rock Creek Barrel really seemed worth the money. Send me a PM if you want any info on the few parts I did order, but that barrel you could really tell that the company took pride in their craftsmanship and quality of their product. Of course anyone knows LT makes great handguards, and the PRS was a personal preference... but about anything Magpul-marked is going to be worth the money.

The current project is 6.5 Grendel, but am also currently saving for a 5.7x28 upper. THAT will be my next purchase.

Good luck with yours!

~Bobby

HeavyDuty
07-25-10, 09:54
Thanks for the update - I'm still trying to decide which of the three major variants I want to go with. I have a bunch of FAL mags already so RRA makes some sense, but with Magpul making good quality mags for the KAC system for cheap, I'm torn.

Bobert0989
07-26-10, 21:06
Thanks for the update - I'm still trying to decide which of the three major variants I want to go with. I have a bunch of FAL mags already so RRA makes some sense, but with Magpul making good quality mags for the KAC system for cheap, I'm torn.

Good luck with it! I'm sure anyone here would like to see build pics, etc of the project and/or finished project.

Thanks