PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT738 - Opinions Please ?

JessR45
01-13-10, 12:00
Hello,

Browsing at my favorite shop last night I cam across another micro .380 pistol, the Taurus PT738 TCP made in good old USA. Comes with 2 6 rd. mags, and a cellphone-like holster case. Felt good in my hands and trigger seems longish and creepy, but smooth. I'm impressed with the build quality and looks, enough almost to pull out my wallet. Looking for a replacement for my departed Ruger LCP and NAA .380, that's why I'm considering this pistol. Opinions and/or actual experience most appreciated !

Thanks !!

Business_Casual
01-13-10, 12:17
In before the Taurus haters! Oh, wait, I'm a Taurus hater. I would like to see how it is "made in the USA," and I wouldn't suggest you bet your life on a Taurus product.

Just do a search on Taurus and you'll see the quality problems they have.

If you must carry a James Bond fantasy pistol, look at SIGs or something.

M_P

jrmymiles
01-13-10, 19:27
I believe Taurus is Brazilian for stay away.

tpd223
01-14-10, 09:24
Like the LCP it is a Kel Tec copy,,,,,, the only question would be how good a copy is it?

decodeddiesel
01-14-10, 12:01
Shining example of Taurus's amazing attention to detail and overall QA/QC:

http://pistol-training.com/page/2

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=42789&highlight=taurus

Do you really want to trust your life to a company that produced, passed through quality control, and shipped such a gem?

Spiffums
01-14-10, 12:51
In before the Taurus haters! Oh, wait, I'm a Taurus hater. I would like to see how it is "made in the USA," and I wouldn't suggest you bet your life on a Taurus product.

Just do a search on Taurus and you'll see the quality problems they have.

If you must carry a James Bond fantasy pistol, look at SIGs or something.

M_P

The old steel PT guns (non decocker) are solid guns. I have one that I have shot the tar out of and it hasn't failed yet.

decodeddiesel
01-14-10, 13:05
The old steel PT guns (non decocker) are solid guns. I have one that I have shot the tar out of and it hasn't failed yet.

I am glad your pistol works out for you, however your post is irrelevent.

For one you're talking about a sample size of one, and even a blind squirrel gets a nut from time to time or Taurus makes a decent gun. No doubt there are a few satisfied Taurus owners out there, but their manufacturing consistency is severely lacking and I have seen more people burned by Taurus than happy with their purchase.

Secondly, and most importantly, we're not talking about older production Tauruses based on an outside, proven design (ala 92F). We're talking about a brand new, and completely unproven pistol designed in house by Taurus.

To the OP, if you must have a mouse gun I would suggest a Ruger LCP. Fire at least a few hundred rounds from it to prove reliability before carrying.