PDA

View Full Version : Belt, mag pouch advice sought

scubadds
01-13-10, 13:12
First post here, been lurking for some time.
For the past ten-twelve years I've been plinking with Ar's, no formal training yet, just when shooting some with local LEO I've picked up tips here and there.

I have been researching gear, partly for an upcoming tigerswan 3 day course and something to wear for open carry on our farm and to have ready if needed. My thoughts were if I went to the course with a well thought out system, that I could gain us much training as possible without gear issues being a distraction. For my 1911 Pro, I have a milt sparks IWB holster and a single mag holder that I use with my wilderness belt or a thicker leather gun belt. I have no complaints and perhaps I should use that holster for the "intro Pistol" course first and try it. But I envisoned learning to shoot from a holster from a more accessable holster. (and one which I could likely be using vs drop leg, etc)

I'm trying to make decisions on a belt system and holster/mag carrier setups.
I would like to mention the gear I was planning on purchasing; and gather feedback from some that may have tried it.

I was thinking of getting
Blade-tech's new Black Ice Holster (all in earth color) ;Blade tech 1911 mag holders bullets forward (2-3?);Blade tech Lefty Ar mag holder bullets rear (I shoot AR lefty) and I am a beer can grabber
Putting these either on my Wilderness belt or getting "fat zombie" belt
Leaning to the fat zombie, so I could have things all set up and not having to worry about feeding things thru my pant loops the day of the course. Just velcro it over the inner belt. Yet I feel a full on First line belt is more than my present need.
I am looking into the Raven stuff, but it seems that the Blade tech's are easily adjusted to different width belts with the Tec-loc. (unless I missed something about the Ravens)
Edit: after looking at some of the Raven photos, they sure do look nice. I wonder if they sit closer to the body than the tec-loc setup?? I guess I could just get the Phantom and always stick with a 1.5 inch belt or get adapters latter????

Are the Kydex mag holders "better" than the nylon types. Specifically comparing kydex to the EMDOM 6o4 mag pouch.
I shoot pistol right handed and ar lefty, so my ar mags will move to my right hip where my holster will be. I will have more room for 1911 mags on my left hip than most folks, but stacking them seemed like a nice method.
Thanks for any comments

JSantoro
01-13-10, 15:26
If you haven't seen this thread, yet, it's distinctly worth a look. Be prepared for a helmet fire; lots of options presented in it.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=214

Dennis
01-13-10, 16:53
I am looking into the Raven stuff, but it seems that the Blade tech's are easily adjusted to different width belts with the Tec-loc. (unless I missed something about the Ravens)
Edit: after looking at some of the Raven photos, they sure do look nice. I wonder if they sit closer to the body than the tec-loc setup?? I guess I could just get the Phantom and always stick with a 1.5 inch belt or get adapters latter????

Are the Kydex mag holders "better" than the nylon types. Specifically comparing kydex to the EMDOM 6o4 mag pouch.

Raven's sit as close as the best pancake holsters I have tried (many!), which is to say very very close. Tec-Locs sit much farther away from your body and makes everything seem like they are floating away from your beltline somewhere in space.

The Raven sits tight enough that you can use a 1.25" or 1.5" belt with 1.5" loops with no problems since the whole thing is touching your body anyways and doesn't slide up and down. It would probably work fine with a good 1" belt in a pinch as well.

Check these belts out that can range from casual to dressy but work great without being bulky.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=16

Kydex works great with both retention and access in an overall much slimmer package. All my carry stuff has been Kydex for years.

Dennis.

scubadds
01-13-10, 18:19
Raven's sit as close as the best pancake holsters I have tried (many!), which is to say very very close. Tec-Locs sit much farther away from your body and makes everything seem like they are floating away from your beltline somewhere in space.

The Raven sits tight enough that you can use a 1.25" or 1.5" belt with 1.5" loops with no problems since the whole thing is touching your body anyways and doesn't slide up and down. It would probably work fine with a good 1" belt in a pinch as well.

Check these belts out that can range from casual to dressy but work great without being bulky.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=16

Kydex works great with both retention and access in an overall much slimmer package. All my carry stuff has been Kydex for years.

Dennis.

Thanks
You helped me decide, I will order the Raven. I starting visualizing the tec-loc being in between the belt and the holster as I kept reading, that is not at all what I want. I was quoted 40-45 days for the Raven stuff. Thanks

I did also see the thread about first line belt and have read about all the other posts I could see that were relevenant and recent. Some good pics and info in there, some rigs were way more than I need for my purpose. I intend to keep it simple and light.
Just holster for the Springfield Pro, and mags. Mags for the 6920/6940 and I will be good to go
Next item...Micro T1

Placed my order tonight, thanks for your advice guys