PDA

View Full Version : Onerous VA safety inspection

Littlelebowski
01-13-10, 14:15
OK, my truck that is fine working order (some of you have ridden in it) just got failed for VA safety inspection because of "loose" ball joints, moisture in one fog light and headlight, low rear brake pads, and a BB sized hole in a turn signal.

I'll replace the pads myself, see about the moisture in the headlights, and put some orange tape or something in the turn signal lens but am I crazy in thinking that this is BS? The truck drives fine, it's in good shape.

chadbag
01-13-10, 14:18
The inspector has too much time on his hands.

Interesting they actually check the brake pads. out here they run you on a test pad and specifically warn you that they are not checking the pads thickness and you should have it checked by a mechanic... As long as you pass the test pad you are fine.

Palmguy
01-13-10, 14:33
It's for your safety, sir.

:rolleyes:

Alex F
01-13-10, 15:28
Did you go to a chain place to get it done?

I've had much better luck with local privately owned shops when getting inspections done.

JSantoro
01-13-10, 15:32
moisture in one fog light and headlight, .

You're almost out of light fluid, send a PFC to the mechs for more.

Then send him to the Co. Gunny to ask where he can find the PRC-E7.

5pins
01-13-10, 15:44
You're almost out of light fluid, send a PFC to the mechs for more.

Then send him to the Co. Gunny to ask where he can find the PRC-E7.

Then have the PRC-E7 checked with the anal protrusion gauge and record the findings on the blue status grid paper.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-13-10, 15:58
moisture in one fog light and headlight

Hello, when I turn it on the water turns to fog.

DO you have to have fog lights?

You didn't tip enough.

Heavy Metal
01-13-10, 16:52
Do not take it back to that shop.

Littlelebowski
01-13-10, 16:55
Hello, when I turn it on the water turns to fog.

DO you have to have fog lights?

You didn't tip enough.

That's what I asked and they told me any light on the vehicle has to be in good working shape. Other guys are telling me from experience that it may not pass even with colored tape on the turn signal.

This is seriously worse than California. California was a breeze with common sense applied to the inspection. I polished the front headlights, installed super powerful bulbs, taped the hole, and will do the brakes this weekend. This is giving the inspection shops free license to run wild with their fees. If I catch any more hell over the fog light, I'll pull the damned things.

Littlelebowski
01-13-10, 16:56
Do not take it back to that shop.

I asked around and got references for shops that aren't run by shyster/Nazis.

I hada very hard time keeping my mouth shut when paying for the emissions test and safety inspection.

four
01-13-10, 16:57
I have a ball joint press if you need it. :)

seriously? loose ball joint? did you ask him how he could tell it was the ball joint and not the hub? not the knuckle?

Dont touch it and take it someplace else. I'm guessing he's not gonna say anything about the ball joint. lights you might get you though. you'd be out the $16 either way.

ToddG
01-13-10, 16:58
OK, my truck that is fine working order (some of you have ridden in it) just got failed for VA safety inspection

Remember that the next time you make fun of my Infiniti, boy!

:cool:

travistheone
01-13-10, 17:32
I have had good luck jumpstarting a good relationship with the guy. A good tip, or friendly BS goes a long way.

Ask them, can you pass me even though I have some little stuff wrong. Small operations may say yes.

John_Wayne777
01-13-10, 18:10
I may be wrong about this, but if I were to hazzard a guess I'd guess that the shop was either dinged by the state for lax inspections or they're trying to drum up business. I tend to agree that vehicle inspections are a bit of a racket. I'd much rather see an inspection of people's driving habits...and perhaps a law that legally allows you to hit somebody with a pie in the face for stupidity behind the wheel.

Gross stupidity (Reading a book on 64 going over Afton mountain in the fog) should result in a public flogging.

Anyhoo, I have my inspections done by the same shop that I have do everything else. They've always been honest with me and have given me excellent service, so I trust them. They won't screw me over.

Littlelebowski
01-13-10, 18:30
I've got 15 days and fixed most of the problems this afternoon. Still fuming.

Littlelebowski
01-13-10, 18:31
Remember that the next time you make fun of my Infiniti, boy!

:cool:

The Wagon Queen Family Truckster? I will never stop!

http://bulldoginexile.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/family_truckster_sbc.jpg

orionz06
01-13-10, 20:20
"loose" ball joints: A loose ball joint can create an uncontrollable vehicle going over the wrong bump. For some vehicles, there is an acceptable amount of play, but generally you dont want any given the nature of the joint.

moisture in one fog light and headlight: Both failures, although removal of the foglights can fix the problem also. The headlight can fail at any time with water in it.

low rear brake pads: either good or bad. no discretion unless there is cracking or contamination.

BB sized hole in a turn signal: Failure prone, as it allow moisture. yellow tape will fix it.

Safety inspections may seem like a racket, until you work at a garage and see the crap people try to get away with. I have seen several vehicles that I looked over leave the garage because they didn't believe me (after showing them the issue) and that very issue prevented them from leaving the parking lot or making it to the first stop light.

Of the issues mentioned, the brake pads and ball joints are wear and tear items, the lights and holes are just circumstantial, but you should be able to see the importance, despite the simple solutions to all.

CarlosDJackal
01-13-10, 21:26
Just be thankful that they no longer require mandatory emission inspections!! :p

What happens to the vehicles that fail the mandated inspection? They sell them to Used Car Dealers in states that do not have these standards in place.

orionz06
01-13-10, 21:56
Just be thankful that they no longer require mandatory emission inspections!! :p

What happens to the vehicles that fail the mandated inspection? They sell them to Used Car Dealers in states that do not have these standards in place.

depends on the state and the problem... most anything running properly wont have an issue. most of the failures are from the gas cap test, where the fumes can escape, but its a cheap solution for a wear and tear part.

regarding the remaining emissions problems, the age of the car is considered, and after that, it is most likely an exhaust issue that would probably be required to repair for a safety inspection anyway.

M4Fundi
01-13-10, 23:13
Years ago I had a 1974 Chevy pickup with a 454 that I loved. It had some inspection issues and I just drove into the illegal alien district and got it inspected on that side of town. They would pass a 2 legged donkey cart for the $:p

four
01-14-10, 08:59
"loose" ball joints: A loose ball joint can create an uncontrollable vehicle going over the wrong bump. For some vehicles, there is an acceptable amount of play, but generally you dont want any given the nature of the joint.

the thing about the ball joint that gets me is their inspection process doesn't really allow them to accurately diagnose a ball joint.

they get in, and drive it from the waiting line into a bay where they remove 1 tire to check pads and do the rest of the inspection on things you can see without moving the car. Put the tire back on and pull it out of the bay.

So in the space of 60 feet he's managed to diagnose a ball joint? Ball joints are the bane of my car maintenance existence and I've never been able to diagnose one in 60 feet or by staring at it. I am certain the inspector didn't pull it out and check for wear.

A friend of mine took her car in for inspection and the guy failed it for worn belts. specifically a belt that I personally had replaced 3 months and 1000 miles previously. She's small and cute and knows nothing about cars; I honestly believe he was taking advantage of that.

all I'm saying is that dishonest inspectors happens.

orionz06
01-14-10, 09:03
the thing about the ball joint that gets me is their inspection process doesn't really allow them to accurately diagnose a ball joint.

they get in, and drive it from the waiting line into a bay where they remove 1 tire to check pads and do the rest of the inspection on things you can see without moving the car. Put the tire back on and pull it out of the bay.

So in the space of 60 feet he's managed to diagnose a ball joint? Ball joints are the bane of my car maintenance existence and I've never been able to diagnose one in 60 feet or by staring at it. I am certain the inspector didn't pull it out and check for wear.

A friend of mine took her car in for inspection and the guy failed it for worn belts. specifically a belt that I personally had replaced 3 months and 1000 miles previously. She's small and cute and knows nothing about cars; I honestly believe he was taking advantage of that.

all I'm saying is that dishonest inspectors happens.

They can have a clue that something is bad if the vehicle hit a bump in the concrete and clunked, but there are many things that can clunk going over a bump. The shop I worked at had a 1" bar on the floor that we drove over and was enough to hear small clunks. This was put in for that very reason, but we still had to shake the front end and check all items individually and confirm visually that the ball joint was in fact bad.

Bad mechanics happen, lazy mechanics happen, and most often, dishonest ones happen.

dbrowne1
01-14-10, 10:00
OK, my truck that is fine working order (some of you have ridden in it) just got failed for VA safety inspection because of "loose" ball joints, moisture in one fog light and headlight, low rear brake pads, and a BB sized hole in a turn signal.

I'll replace the pads myself, see about the moisture in the headlights, and put some orange tape or something in the turn signal lens but am I crazy in thinking that this is BS? The truck drives fine, it's in good shape.

I know I'm swimming against the tide, but Virginia inspection is generally a JOKE compared to many other states. Try getting your car inspected in Massachusetts or New York. They'd run out of paper trying to write up all the issues they'd likely find on your truck.

There are also good and important safety reasons for not having broken/moisture-filled lights and loose ball joints which orionz already addressed. Brake pads should be obvious. There are enough ways I can get killed or maimed already, I don't need poorly maintained vehicles upping the odds out there when I'm driving.

On the more cynical side, leaving a case of beer or a box of donuts in the driver's seat when you drop it off can distract mechanics from minor things like cracks in the windshield or a hold in a light cover.:D

orionz06
01-14-10, 10:05
Also, look at the positive to this. Extended driving with a loose front end component will cause uneven tire wear, and tires arent cheap. Also neglecting one front end component will accelerate the wear on the others. Once there is movement with a joint or tie rod end, the other connecting components are subject to conditions they are not designed for and will wear more quickly.

HES
01-14-10, 10:26
This is one more thing that I love about living in Florida...we got rid of our inspection system in the very early 80s. Guess what, there hasn't been any increase in death, destruction, and derangement due to vehicles needing repair being on the road.

Alex F
01-14-10, 10:26
This is one more thing that I love about living in Florida...we got rid of our inspection system in the very early 80s. Guess what, there hasn't been any increase in death, destruction, and derangement due to vehicles needing repair being on the road.

We can't have radar detectors either.

If it weren't for my ex and kids living up here I'd probably have moved by now, VA holds no special fascination for me.

dbrowne1
01-14-10, 10:36

That's because all of your accidents are caused by snowbirds driving vehicles that don't have enough mileage (or abuse, at a constant 15mph) to wear out or break.

HES
01-14-10, 13:41
That's because all of your accidents are caused by snowbirds driving vehicles that don't have enough mileage (or abuse, at a constant 15mph) to wear out or break.
Don't forget that they stay in the left hand lane as well.

Littlelebowski
01-14-10, 22:21
I had the emissions test as well, passed fine.

RancidSumo
01-14-10, 23:02
This is one reason why I love Wyoming. I guarantee that my Jeep would never pass any inspection.

Buckaroo
01-15-10, 07:37
This is one reason why I love Wyoming. I guarantee that my Jeep would never pass any inspection.

I hear you! When I relocated from western SD to Indiana and had to go thru emissions testing I had to register my 1986 Suburban with 11,000lb plates to avoid the test. Still her the old girl too! I would hate to see the bill for getting her up to the standards Littlelebowski is dealing with! Heck, my 1996 Suburban is in need of ball joints according to the tire shop. They estimated just over $600 for replacing both of them! They will wait at least until bonus time.

Buckaroo