PDA

View Full Version : Trooper Richey, Rest in peace.

IROCZ
01-13-10, 17:28
Antone catch this on the news yet? Ambushed by rifle fire getting out or cruiser. Venango County Pa. Perps named Micheal Smith, still on the run at this time. Damn.

Oscar 319
01-13-10, 18:09
Trooper Paul G. Richey
Pennsylvania State Police
Pennsylvania
End of Watch: Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Biographical Info
Tour of Duty: 16 years
Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect Info: At large

Trooper Paul Richey was shot and killed when he and another trooper responded to a domestic disturbance call in Cranberry Township, Venango County, at 11:45 am.

Both troopers arrived at the scene and exited their vehicles when Trooper Richey was struck by a shot fired from inside the residence. Additional units arrived and removed Trooper Richey from the scene.

The suspect fled the scene and remains at large.

Trooper Richey had served with the Pennsylvania State Police for 16 years. He is survived by his wife, son, and daughter.

That's 14 LEO's killed in the line of duty this year.

RIP

geminidglocker
01-13-10, 18:51
Prayers sent. I hope they find the scum and string it up.

chg380
01-13-10, 19:11
R.I.P. Prayers for those left behind. I hope the sorry sack of shit gets the needle when they catch him.

PoppaPump
01-13-10, 19:18
RIP Trooper.

Suspect and wife dead, murder/suicide.

One of the local news outlets story

http://kdka.com/local/officer.shot.Venango.2.1423417.html

Buckaroo
01-13-10, 19:44
Damn!

RIP Trooper Richey

Prayers for his family and co-workers

Buckaroo

bradb55
01-13-10, 21:02
R.I.P.

Prayers sent.

We are not off to a good start this year. Its only the 13th of Jan. and we've already lost 14 Officers! This is crazy! eople are just bold now. Not respect for anybody.

To all LEO, FLEO and Soldiers protecting this country, Besafe and Thank you

Brad

snafu
01-13-10, 21:51
Gods speed
Prayers for family

ThirdWatcher
01-14-10, 01:19
R.I.P., Brother.

SWATcop556
01-14-10, 01:32
The ambush seems to be on the rise as well.

RIP brother, we have the watch.

usaffarmer
01-14-10, 01:42
My thoughts and prayers are sent out to the family and fellow officers of Trooper Richey. Rest in Peace.

dsmguy7
01-14-10, 08:30

d90king
01-14-10, 08:36
Tragic! May he rest in peace. Prayers sent to family and friends. I hope they catch the scum and are forced to kill him.

ThirdWatcher
01-14-10, 13:57
From what I read, the scumbag murdered his wife and then committed suicide. What a waste.

d90king
01-14-10, 14:15
From what I read, the scumbag murdered his wife and then committed suicide. What a waste.

Why is it that they always take the easy way out... Pathetic scum, I hope he rots in hell.

woodandsteel
01-14-10, 14:47
From the news story;

He is survived by a wife and two young children -- a nine-year-old son and a six-year-old daughter.

This is just horrible. I can't imagine what the family of the Trooper must be going through. I am reminded of a Fahter's Day Card. It read; "To the World you are just one person. But to one person, you ar their whole World."

My thoughts are with the family of the trooper.

BIGUGLY
01-14-10, 16:16
R.I.P. Brother, may you guard the golden streets of heaven.

USAFR
01-14-10, 16:59
Thank you for your service to your state and country.

Caeser25
01-14-10, 18:13
Why is it that they always take the easy way out... Pathetic scum, I hope he rots in hell.

Only in this life.

Safetyhit
01-14-10, 18:29
Always another horror show around the corner.

RIP good man.

engine296
01-14-10, 19:25
This is happening too much. My prayers go out to the family.

RogerinTPA
01-14-10, 21:34
Another sad episode. Unfortunately, unless you respond, dressed head to toe in body armor, you cannot negate an ambush after it's been initiated by a determined individual(s). God Speed and Prayers sent to the family.

cfrazier
01-14-10, 22:17
Prayers for the fallen and the family.

woodandsteel
01-14-10, 23:24
That's 14 LEO's killed in the line of duty this year.

RIP

Florida just had a Deputy murdered today, too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/14/AR2010011405019.html

Fla. deputy dies in shootout with killing suspect

TOOLBOX

The Associated Press
Thursday, January 14, 2010; 10:54 PM

CROSS CITY, Fla. -- A Florida sheriff says one of his deputies was killed in a shootout with a man suspected of killing two people and wounding two others.

Dixie County Sheriff Dewey Hatcher says 33-year-old Capt. Chad Reed died at a hospital Thursday.

Hernando County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Donna Black says the suspect is 55-year-old John Kalisz. The Gainesville Sun reports Kalisz also is in the hospital but his condition is not known.

Black says Kalisz killed two elderly women in a home in Brooksville about 40 miles north of Tampa. She says he also shot two younger women.

Hatcher says Dixie County deputies intercepted Kalisz and exchanged gunfire. Dixie County is about 90 miles from where the shootings happened.

Reed had a wife and two young sons.

I feel horrible for what he families of these officers are now forced to go through.

Oscar 319
01-15-10, 07:36
http://www.policeone.com/news_internal.asp?view=1990492

01/14/2010

Pa. trooper's killer had 'sniper's perch' in home
Michael Smith may have used a perch in an upstairs bedroom to fatally shoot Trooper Paul Richey in the neck

Associated Press

Related Articles:

Man who murdered Pa. trooper found dead
Manhunt for suspect who ambushed, killed Pa. trooper
Related content sponsored by:

FRANKLIN, Pa. — A suicidal man made an improvised sniper's "perch" in an upstairs bedroom so he could fatally shoot a state trooper who volunteered to investigate a domestic-abuse report because he had previous contact with the gunman, the state police commissioner said Thursday.

Michael J. Smith, 44, arranged folded towels and blankets on a corner table to steady a scope-equipped .30-30 hunting rifle that police believe he used to shoot Trooper Paul Richey in the neck, above his bulletproof vest, late Wednesday morning, Col. Frank Pawlowski said.

"This was a premeditated event. This was an ambush," Pawlowski said. Smith positioned himself so he could fire his weapon from a vantage point some distance back from an open window that let him see the approaching troopers without them seeing him, Pawlowski said.

Police believe Smith used the same weapon to kill his 53-year-old wife, Nancy Frey-Smith, and himself. Her body was found in a bedroom chair and his, still clutching the gun, was near the foot of the bed, Pawlowski said.

Pawlowski said it's likely Smith shot his wife before shooting Richey, because there's no sign she tried to stop the shooting or warn the troopers.

Autopsy and ballistics results are needed to confirm the rifle was the weapon used in all three deaths.

The rifle is the same one Smith used to threaten his wife 13 years ago, Pawlowski said. Police want to determine how the weapon was returned to Smith because it had been seized under a protection-from-abuse order issued in 1997.

"That will be part of our investigation," Pawlowski said. "I'm at a loss right now, to be honest with you. But I'm not happy about it."

Pawlowski said Smith had mental health issues and was known to have neighborhood disputes, though none were violent or otherwise sent up "red flags." Pawlowski said Frey-Smith had done a "pretty good job of controlling her husband and calming him down" in the past, and that the family chose to deal with his unpredictable ways by themselves.

On Wednesday, Smith's 44th birthday, Frey-Smith's sister called police to express concern for her sister's safety. Richey, 40, of Franklin, volunteered to accompany another trooper on the call because he knew Smith - likely because Richey grew up nearby and had encountered Smith during other disturbance calls at the house.

Frey-Smith's sister said the woman told her in a phone call that she wasn't going to work because Smith was in "one of his moods," according to a police search warrant affidavit.

The sister then spoke to Frey-Smith's boss, who said she reported having been assaulted by her husband. The sister called back and spoke to the couple, saying she was coming over to see her sister.

Rodgers said Michael Smith told her "she shouldn't bother coming and that she had 'just signed Nancy's death warrant,'" the affidavit said. Rodgers then called police.

This week wasn't the first time Michael Smith threatened to kill his wife or the first time that her employer, A. Crivelli Chevrolet in nearby Sugarcreek Township, was made aware of her husband's violent ways, according to 13-year-old court records.

On March 28, 1997, Smith went to the dealership looking for his wife with the same rifle and threatened himself and several officers before being arrested.

Prosecutors later dropped all charges, except a stalking count to which Smith pleaded guilty. He was sentenced to three years' probation and surrendered his weapons, but successfully petitioned to have them returned in 2000 once his probation was over.

A companion protection-from-abuse request filed by his wife in 1997 said Smith put a gun in his mouth and "attempted to get in the door where I was" at the dealership.

"Prior to the incident, he had told me on the phone that he intended to get drunk and do some coke," Frey-Smith wrote in the protection request, which was granted.

Frey-Smith was a customer delivery coordinator for the dealership and had worked there for 16 years. Michael Crivelli, whose father owns the business, said he wasn't aware of any problems between the couple beyond the 1997 encounter and Wednesday, when she told him that her husband had assaulted her.

"It may seem odd, but as far as her bringing any personal problems into the store, there wasn't any," Crivelli said Thursday.

The 1997 court records show that Smith entered a drug treatment center and that his wife later petitioned the court for permission to see him and to meet with a marriage counselor.

Trooper Richey is survived by his wife, Carrie, and two children, Connor, 9, and Catherine, 6. Funeral arrangements were still pending Thursday.

A colleague, Cpl. Richard Wadlow, remembered Richie as "dedicated and reliable" and said the inside door of his locker was covered with family pictures. Fellow troopers "unanimously agreed that Trooper Richey loved his family, his wife, children, his parents."

"The Franklin station lost a friend," Wadlow said, his voice breaking, "a brother, and a trooper."