PDA

View Full Version : Training Gear Request.

VTLO910
01-13-10, 21:34
MODS feel free to move this if its in the wrong spot, but I figured it has to do with training...

I keep looking for a "Trainer" AR-15 that you can do magazine insertions/drills with and also have a collapsible stock attached...

Rings makes the Blue Guns but it will do neither.

I have not seen any "Airsoft" types that felt durable... But feel free to suggest any that you would feel would meet my needs...

So... I got this brilliant idea of asking the folks here if they have AR Parts that are damaged and can NOT be used to build a functioning AR.

i.e. Barrel torn up/shot out, Cracked Receiver (but not so cracked you can't use it for demo), etc...

If anyone has these items or would be willing to help me I'd appreciate it. :D

Jay Cunningham
01-13-10, 21:41
MODS feel free to move this if its in the wrong spot, but I figured it has to do with training...

I keep looking for a "Trainer" AR-15 that you can do magazine insertions/drills with and also have a collapsible stock attached...

Rings makes the Blue Guns but it will do neither.

I have not seen any "Airsoft" types that felt durable... But feel free to suggest any that you would feel would meet my needs...

So... I got this brilliant idea of asking the folks here if they have AR Parts that are damaged and can NOT be used to build a functioning AR.

i.e. Barrel torn up/shot out, Cracked Receiver (but not so cracked you can't use it for demo), etc...

If anyone has these items or would be willing to help me I'd appreciate it. :D

Why can't you do this with your go-to gun?

VTLO910
01-13-10, 22:56
Good Question...

I have a few blue guns already for pistols, but I am getting into training others...

So without buying a whole other AR for the purposes of teaching some basic handling, I find it would be easier to show them with my AR, and have them do the same actions... or do it together in steps.

Jay Cunningham
01-13-10, 23:04
If they don't have access to their own AR, why are you training them?

rob_s
01-14-10, 05:57
I would like to see someone make a blue gun that could take magazines and with a bolt that would run, or someone make a "blue barrel" that was solid and plastic and could be installed in an otherwise functional upper and lower. I think it would make a good training aid when working with groups.

If the dummy barrel had a chamber that could take dummy rounds like the Magpul plastic ones that would be even better. Come to think of it, Magpul plastic might be pretty good for the dummy barrel...

ETA: I wonder what it would cost to have a solid barrel turned out of aluminum...

VTLO910
01-14-10, 06:56
If they don't have access to their own AR, why are you training them?

Sometimes you got National Guard guys who want better training but don't have their own AR/M4, or you have someone who is interested in the platform but not sold on it yet... Sometimes all it takes is some education, and letting them shoot something downrange.

Jay Cunningham
01-14-10, 07:43
Sometimes you got National Guard guys who want better training but don't have their own AR/M4, or you have someone who is interested in the platform but not sold on it yet... Sometimes all it takes is some education, and letting them shoot something downrange.

Okay, I am just thinking through what you are trying to do. You may have to simply use the blue gun yourself and let your trainee have your AR for the duration of the evolution. There are various brightly colored plastic devices that you can stick in your rifle to make sure that it incapable of firing.

00bullitt
01-14-10, 08:43
How about removing the operational BCG and replacing it with the Blade-Tech training bolt? Even has the string attached so that your buddy can stand behind you and reset the trigger.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2j1v1vo.jpg

http://www.blade-tech.com/Rifle-Training-Bolt-pr-1174.html

Failure2Stop
01-14-10, 10:43
Use dummy rounds and replace the firing pin with one you removed about 1/4 inch off the pointy end (or have a dedicated trng BCG with said firing pin). That gives you two layers of security.

ST911
01-14-10, 11:48
One can find bottomfeeder salvage parts for reasonably cheap. Render critical components inert, block the barrel in some way, and paint the gun to indicate its inert status.

Some of the kit guns intended to be functional, and available for cheap, are great for this.

I prefer to use dedicated training guns for safe practice whenever possible. There are other options.

I would not use a modified firing pin. While it might seem like a good idea, Murphy is likely to make the FP appear again where you least expect it. Less an issue for the one gun owner, but still worth noting.

Pathfinder Ops
01-14-10, 17:12

Lou has a very valid point here.

We have conducted training with the Guard here in NY. secondary to that we frequently get requests from soldiers who would like to get involved in our more dynamic programs but since it isn't something the Guard unit has officially engaged the soldiers cannot use their weapons.

Many of them do not own their own AR's. We keep a certain number of arms available to use for people but a simple inert weapon simulator would be a curious addition to a trainer's tool kit.