PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading, have a ?.

1stIDvet
01-13-10, 21:43
Im sure this has been covered here already, can't find it. Im going to start reloading ASAP, does anyone have advice on a good beginners kit or can direct me somewhere. Ive done some research but nothings too clear for me to purchase. Ill be reloading .223, .308 and .45 ACP. Thanks in advance for the help.

JStor
01-13-10, 22:10
I'd look hard at an RCBS Rock Chucker press. I suppose they would come in kit form at the various supply vendors. I'm real partial to Redding dies and Wilson trimmers and K&M primer seating tools.

herd48
01-14-10, 05:59
How many rounds per month do you anticipate shooting?

Evil Colt 6920
01-14-10, 06:40
Ill be watching this thread. Im looking for the same info. I have ZERO experience reloading. Ive been shooting around 400 rounds of .223 a month(about $170!!!). My brother just picked up an AK-47 variant in .223 so based on the amount we shoot, Im thinking we would be dumb not to get into reloading.

1stIDvet
01-14-10, 14:31
How many rounds per month do you anticipate shooting?

probably 300 to 500 a month, some months maybe more.

herd48
01-14-10, 15:20
It will really depend on how you want to invest in reloading. Dillon is the company that all other presses are compared to and measured against. They are fairly expensive initially, but have a lifetime, not BS warranty that goes with the press...not the buyer. So you can buy a used Dillon. If it's not working, send it to them. They will fix it at no charge. Period. I think they are also the best available product. Hands down. Other companies make good equipment. dillon is just the best. If you are reloading mostly 223. I would suggest a Dillon 550b. This is an excellent press. dillons # 1 selling press. I own a Dillon 650. But I use a turret press for my rifle calibers. The 650 is a true auto indexing progressive loader. The 550 is a progressive as well. But it does not auto index. I think this is better for loading rifle. There are steps that need to be done for your 556 that don't have to be done with straight walled pistol loads. So a progressive looses some of it's advantage with rifle. A good turret press is a very good choice also for the amount you intend on reloading. An inexpensive way to get started is to give the Lee Classic Turret press a try. The Classic is the only model I would recommend. It is cast and much heavier duty than the standard Lee Turret. This press can be bought in kit form from Kempfs gun shop online. I think the kit is under $200. Suzie Kempf I believe is the only dealer that puts a "Classic Turret" kit out. She is a top ten dealer for Lee. This press will produce around 150-maybe 200 rounds in an hour. My 650 will make 550-600 45acp/ hour if I have primer tubes loaded and waiting. It also cost me around $800 6 years ago. And that was just for the press with case feeder. Didn't include the other things you need. Don't be afraid to buy a turret, or even a single stage(but they are slow) because even if you move up to a progressive some day. You will still have use for the other press. Specialty loads...or calibers you don't shoot much. etc. I own and use a single stage, a turret, and the Dillon 650. I use them all. Hornady makes a press called the LocknLoad. It seems to be a pretty good press. It is an auto indexing progressive. But IMO even though it's a little less than Dillon. It is not of the caliber of Dillon products. And like I said earlier, I don't like progressive presses for most rifle reloading. Unless it's Dillons top of the line 1050. The 1050 is a semi-commercial machine. It is an awesome product. Brian Enos(old ipsc shooter) sells Dillon products online. He is very knowledgeable and great to work with. Go to his website and check out his recommendations and the products he offers. It's a good resource. Good luck.

1stIDvet
01-14-10, 17:37
Herd48- Thanks for the info, will look into what you said.

herd48
01-14-10, 18:00
You are welcome.

Detmongo
01-14-10, 20:37
listen to herd, i myself use dillon they are well built press and have a lifetime warr. thier products.

LonghunterCO
01-14-10, 21:25
It will really depend on how you want to invest in reloading. Dillon is the company that all other presses are compared to and measured against. They are fairly expensive initially, but have a lifetime, not BS warranty that goes with the press...not the buyer. So you can buy a used Dillon. If it's not working, send it to them. They will fix it at no charge. Period. I think they are also the best available product. Hands down. Other companies make good equipment. dillon is just the best. If you are reloading mostly 223. I would suggest a Dillon 550b. This is an excellent press. dillons # 1 selling press. I own a Dillon 650. But I use a turret press for my rifle calibers. The 650 is a true auto indexing progressive loader. The 550 is a progressive as well. But it does not auto index. I think this is better for loading rifle. There are steps that need to be done for your 556 that don't have to be done with straight walled pistol loads. So a progressive looses some of it's advantage with rifle. A good turret press is a very good choice also for the amount you intend on reloading. An inexpensive way to get started is to give the Lee Classic Turret press a try. The Classic is the only model I would recommend. It is cast and much heavier duty than the standard Lee Turret. This press can be bought in kit form from Kempfs gun shop online. I think the kit is under $200. Suzie Kempf I believe is the only dealer that puts a "Classic Turret" kit out. She is a top ten dealer for Lee. This press will produce around 150-maybe 200 rounds in an hour. My 650 will make 550-600 45acp/ hour if I have primer tubes loaded and waiting. It also cost me around $800 6 years ago. And that was just for the press with case feeder. Didn't include the other things you need. Don't be afraid to buy a turret, or even a single stage(but they are slow) because even if you move up to a progressive some day. You will still have use for the other press. Specialty loads...or calibers you don't shoot much. etc. I own and use a single stage, a turret, and the Dillon 650. I use them all. Hornady makes a press called the LocknLoad. It seems to be a pretty good press. It is an auto indexing progressive. But IMO even though it's a little less than Dillon. It is not of the caliber of Dillon products. And like I said earlier, I don't like progressive presses for most rifle reloading. Unless it's Dillons top of the line 1050. The 1050 is a semi-commercial machine. It is an awesome product. Brian Enos(old ipsc shooter) sells Dillon products online. He is very knowledgeable and great to work with. Go to his website and check out his recommendations and the products he offers. It's a good resource. Good luck.

This is refreshing to read. I see sooooo many post with guys with Dillons (there are the best progressives ever) that think that it is the answer for everything. I have been reloading for more years than many of you have been alive...this is good advice.

Mat
01-16-10, 08:42
Roughly how much does it cost for a decent practice .223 cartridge when you're handrolling? And can you answer for new brass and reused please :)

Thanks

Thomas M-4
01-16-10, 09:04
Roughly how much does it cost for a decent practice .223 cartridge when you're handrolling? And can you answer for new brass and reused please :)

Thanks

Reloading Calc.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

herd48
01-16-10, 09:30
Cost is going to be determined by cost of components obviously. this has been a tough expensive year for reloaders. Short supply, higher demand...not only in the commercial market. But also the increase in new loaders. My 223 has cost me this year between .13-.18/ round. Using used brass of course. Buying in bulk in past years has delivered a bigger savings than it has this year. Just not as a big a discount offered. Buy powder 8# jugs. Buy primers 10k + or whatever will give you the best price. Same with bullets. And try to buy locally. Or at least buy enough quantity that shipping and hazmat are not going to eat you up. Ask is powder and primers will be shipped from same location. Some dealers do. Some don't. If they're not shipped together. This will double shipping and hazmat fees. Midway is an example of this. They ship from 2 different locations. In general. Brass is "usually" your most expensive component if you have to buy cases. Hope this helps.

Mat
01-16-10, 09:46
Reloading Calc. http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Cost is going to be determined by cost of components obviously. this has been a tough expensive year for reloaders. Short supply, higher demand...not only in the commercial market. But also the increase in new loaders. My 223 has cost me this year between .13-.18/ round. Using used brass of course. Buying in bulk in past years has delivered a bigger savings than it has this year. Just not as a big a discount offered. Buy powder 8# jugs. Buy primers 10k + or whatever will give you the best price. Same with bullets. And try to buy locally. Or at least buy enough quantity that shipping and hazmat are not going to eat you up. Ask is powder and primers will be shipped from same location. Some dealers do. Some don't. If they're not shipped together. This will double shipping and hazmat fees. Midway is an example of this. They ship from 2 different locations. In general. Brass is "usually" your most expensive component if you have to buy cases. Hope this helps.

Jerry R
01-16-10, 11:44
Excellent information herd48. I teach reloading classes, so I still have my 40+ year old single stage (Pacific) for use in class.

I must agree with the "it is slower" comment for obvious reasons - one step at a time to one case at a time. When I invested in the Dillon 550B - what a revelation !

Cost of equipment is quickly amortized over the price of ammunition. I would recommend a progressive, turret, or any type of multi-stage system over a single stage.

Having said that, figure out your budget and buy the best quality you can afford, no matter what type of system it is.

Some manufacturers offer "levels" of equipment. Things on the low end of the price spectrum MAY cause a lot of heart ache down the road. Parts wear, things break, and there may not be warranty on those items for a fix. Not always, but something to consider.

I have no clue how many thousands of rounds have been through the Pacific and the Dillon, but they have paid for themselves many times over.

And ---- reloading is fun !!

1stIDvet
01-16-10, 12:48
I have been looking for a reloading class around me but cannot find any in northern IL.