PDA

View Full Version : Workouts

awm14hp
01-14-10, 14:53
I am looking for a new forearm workout I have been doing

Behind the back curls with normal barbell
hammer curls
and top hold ezbar curls

I am not sure its doing much for me and I have been reading there seems to be two diff schools on forarms general heavy weights in your deads and normal lifting will help FA workouts or the heavy specific FA workouts what do you guys think.

orionz06
01-18-10, 12:10
There are many thoughts on FA training, and I have used all in the past to change it up. The best, for me, has been to dedicate time for my forearms and calves twice a week. I include calves because FA/C were the ones that people were always impressed with when I was working out with competitive bodybuilders.

I have found that dedicating a few minutes to both each day at the gym is more rewarding. Also remember that the FA's are worked in nearly all exercises with grip. Simply not using straps will help greatly.

Using the Ivanko super gripper was helpful in the past.

http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/ivanko_supergripper.html

Also using the wrist roller is really good.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrist-Roller-1-25Lb-hole-plate/dp/B00146G68O

I have a few suggestions for making a wrist roller, and I used to use the Ivanko daily between classes in college.

One easy thing to do is to sit down, place the FA on the leg, with the wrist just over the knee, and lift a small weight with the FA. You can also use a long bar, behind the back to curl with the FA only (I think you are doing this).

My current workouts will include FA's 2 nights a week at home with a roller and the Ivanko, and I hope to obtain a squeeze type gripper for work as well.

Erk1015
02-14-10, 19:35
I've been using the captain of crush grippers lately, they're pretty expensive but I've definitely seen a difference with my grip strength.

I do like orionz06 with the small weight except I do them by kneeling in front of a bench, my leg doesn't feel like a stable platform. I do them palm up and then back of the hand up.

I also hang on a pull up bar as long as possible or pick up some heavy dumbbells and either hold them or walk with them for as long as possible.

I usually do forearms twice a week, chest day (monday) and arms day(friday). On arms day I also add in reverse curls.

Hope that helps.

Erik

St.Michael
02-24-10, 22:43
Do more Dead Lifts and do them heavy your FA will get huge. Or rack pulls with a huge weight or some lock outs with bench or squat.