PDA

View Full Version : My limited review of the Glock 21 SF

David Thomas
03-25-07, 15:39
My review of the Glock 21 SF

A Glock sales rep was conducting demos this past Saturday at the local shooting range and had numerous Glocks available including the Glock 21 SF (standard rail version). I had a chance to handle the Glock 21 SF with pic. rail the Friday before the shoot at the store hosting the Glock shoot.

My initial impressions:
On Friday, I was immediately displeased with the appearance of the pic. Rail, but based on pictures I expected to be disappointed with it. In person the rail looked even worse. Plus, the rail hung down low enough that holster selecttion will probably be limited. Being made of polymer, the rails didn't appear very rugged and there seemed to be a fair amount of material missing from the frame in between the rails. I may be wrong about the pic. rails, but I will pass on the pic. rail version.

Unfortunately, the reduced size of the grip was not the first thing I noticed about the new Glock once it was in my hand. Instead it was the new ambi mag release that was digging into the middle finger of my right hand (right handed shooter).

The grip size while not perfect, seems much better than the old 21, when comparing the two. It is very similar to the G17 in its size from front strap to back strap and in trigger reach. The difference between the 17 and the SF is that the G21 SF backstrap feels fatter in my hand especially at the web of my hand and at the top of the grip where my thumb and trigger finger wrap around the frame.
The trigger seemed heavier than normal. So, I went home with hope that either FN or S&W would get it right.

Shooting the G21 SF:

The standard rail model was available to shoot and looks like a Glock is supposed to look. I for one like the look of Glocks (well for a polymer pistol anyway). Well, the first mag was shot on a resetting pepper popper. My initial reaction after firing the first mag was “wow this gun has no recoil and virtually no muzzle flip. Am I shooting reduced power loads?” So I checked the ammo the Glock Rep had out there, which was regular UMC 185 grain in the green and white box. I shot the second mag on paper standing with no support and 4 out of my first five shots made one ragged hole with the first shot that was about ¾” to the right of that group at 10 yards. The trigger on the demo gun was much better than the SF the dealer had on display. My faith was restored, but not completely.

I never noticed the ambi mag catch while shooting, but I still think it might pose a problem with extended shooting sessions. I am also not sure how the ambi mag release will perform with gloves, and I am afraid it might accidentally dump magazines. If there was/is a way to remove the mag release from the right side of the frame, I would be singing the praises of the G21 SF.

I cannot help but think that the fatter grip of the G21 SF is what helped tame the recoil. I am not sure how much fatter it is than a 1911 or a 2011, but recoil is much less than both of them and muzzle flip is also significantly reduced in comparison to a 1911.

While it is not “perfection” and my concerns about the ambi mag release are still present, I am pleased with the G21 SF enough that I will buy a standard rail version at my first opportunity.

I also shot the G30 for the first time and fell in love with that little power house. It may be a little fatter than ideal for concealed carry, but it definitely had irresistible charm and handled beautifully.

I will update this review when I have had a chance to buy a standard rail SF and put more rounds down range. The Glock rep said it that he expected the standard rail SF's to hit dealer shelfs by April. We will see.

SuicideHz
03-25-07, 16:29
185 grain 45? I felt a Huge difference between usual Winchester 230gr. and my friend's 200 gr. reloads.

Hawkeye
03-25-07, 17:19
I too noticed the ambi mag catch hitting my finger the first time I held one. I already figure that if I get one, I may have to take the dremel to it and remove the right side protrusion. I've always felt that my 21 was one of the softest recoiling .45's I have ever owned or shot, with some of the least muzzle flip to boot. Good to hear that the 21SF still follows that. I am interested to see how the M&P45 stacks up against the 21SF.

M4Guru
03-25-07, 19:42
I saw my first SF today. I'll pass. The rail looks less than durable, and the ambi mag release was annoying to me as well. The grip felt different, but not noticeably smaller.

An M&P 45 it's not ergonomically, but I guess if you didn't have a 21 it wouldn't be too bad. Too little, too late for Glock in the wake of the XD45 and M&P 45.

The 21SF in a single stack, now that would be something to get excited about...

baffle Stack
03-25-07, 22:05
Glock should make 3 versions of their .45... [Standard, SF, and SS (single stack)]

"Almost Perfection" :)

trio
03-25-07, 23:07
i too will be passing on the G21SF...

i saw one at a gun show last month and it was right next to a regular G21 and I honestly could not tell the difference...

Part of that is I have big hands and the G21 was never a problem for me I guess...but with the finger grooves and everything I think the XD is still a smaller grip'

No, Im waiting for the M&P 45 too

glocker21
04-27-08, 14:39
Greetings all,

There are three versions of the G21SF.

1. Ambi with Pic rail
2. Ambi with Glock Rail
3. Standard release with Glock Rail

All have the Short/Slim frame