PDA

View Full Version : SBS out of a Remington Express

bradb55
01-14-10, 16:48
I'm thinking of doing a Short Barrel Shotgun. I have two Remington 870s, one that is from the 50's (give or take a couple of years) and Express that is only a couple of years old. The express has had some upgrades and runs with no issues at all. The older one is a little beat up and shows its age but again runs flawlessly.

My question is should I SBS the newer express or the older 870? Will one give me anymore options than the other, I don't think? Is the older one built sounder?

If I'm going to invest the 200.00 I want it to be on the best that I have. I'm not looking to buy another 870, but just use one I already have.

Thanks guys,

Brad

scottryan
01-14-10, 16:59
I'd look at the collectability of the older 870 before modifying it.

The older one is made to a higher standard than the express.

I would not invest in a SBR on an express.

I would buy a 870 police.

Artos
01-14-10, 17:08
The older one is probably a wingmaster and slides slicker than snot on a door knob compared to the express. Very well could hold value if all original.

Buckshot TX
01-24-10, 21:08
There's no way I'd spend the $ to SBS an Express if I had a Wingmaster available. Old 870s aren't collectible, just damn fine shotguns.

bradb55
01-24-10, 21:14
I just found a sportsman 870 for $175 I'm thinking about picking up. I can't find any 870 police locally and do not feel like ordering one that I can't handle first.

DaveC
01-25-10, 00:17
I have a Remington 870 Express SBS that I done the Form 1 on about 12 years ago. I wish I had done it on a Police Magnum instead of the Express gun. I have since modified the magazine tube to work as it should and have replaced all parts but the receiver, as I was able to locate parts from a Police Magnum to use.

It just would have been much easier in my case to use the gun I really wanted in the first place and would have only cost me about $150.00 more than the Express gun.